The Weather

Here in the Boston area, it is drought, and rather more days over 90F than normal.

Seconded. Heat was brutal last weekend. Think it hit 100 or got pretty close. Definitely weather where you have to keep an eye on hydration. Not so easy to breathe in these conditions. Had a handful of thunderstorms too

I do enjoy the sun. 70s and low 80s are more comfortable for me

Zardnaar

Legend
Seconded. Heat was brutal last weekend. Think it hit 100 or got pretty close. Definitely weather where you have to keep an eye on hydration. Not so easy to breathe in these conditions. Had a handful of thunderstorms too

I do enjoy the sun. 70s and low 80s are more comfortable for me

Humid? Only time I've been in 100 type weather has been in a dry part of the country and breathing isn't hard.

Humid? Only time I've been in 100 type weather has been in a dry part of the country and breathing isn't hard.
We have very humid summers. I spent time in Southern California where it could get quite hit but was dry heat. When I moved back here summer nights we’re a struggle to breathe

I don’t know if it hit 100 or how humid it was when we got there but they kept saying it could reach 100 on the news and it sure felt like it was in that ball park

Summers in Boston can be really hot and humid

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t know if it hit 100 or how humid it was when we got there but they kept saying it could reach 100 on the news and it sure felt like it was in that ball park

ON July 24th, it looks to have hit 99F in Boston, so I have no doubt in some locations it was 100 or more. But the relative humidity was only about 27% at the time.

The real issue in that was that it was part of a heat wave - an entire week of 90F and higher temperatures, which gets kind of exhausting.

ON July 24th, it looks to have hit 99F in Boston, so I have no doubt in some locations it was 100 or more. But the relative humidity was only about 27% at the time.

The real issue in that was that it was part of a heat wave - an entire week of 90F and higher temperatures, which gets kind of exhausting.

I am north of Boston a bit but looks like we hit 99 on the 24 as well

G

Guest 7034872

Wow. I knew east coast U.S. was in it at the moment, but I hadn't supposed it that harsh. I'm just inland from there about two hours--central PA. Where I am it is hot, certainly, but nothing oppressive and with plenty of precipitation without anything so biblical and unbridled as what Zardnaar's seeing. I am on a mountain in the woods, though, so I imagine that blunts the heat.

Wow. I knew east coast U.S. was in it at the moment, but I hadn't supposed it that harsh. I'm just inland from there about two hours--central PA. Where I am it is hot, certainly, but nothing oppressive and with plenty of precipitation without anything so biblical and unbridled as what Zardnaar's seeing. I am on a mountain in the woods, though, so I imagine that blunts the heat.

This is the forecast in my city for the week:
1659364252633.png

And Boston (which is just south of me, just a ten miles away or so):

1659364314247.png

Mallus

Legend
We have the windows open this morning for the first time in over a week. It's been hot here in Philadelphia. Another heat wave starts tomorrow, with 5 days of 90F+ weather. It could hot 100F on Thursday, just in time for my wife's appointment downtown.

I was at a pool party last weekend in central New Jersey. The water was in the upper 80s (if not higher). The air, alas, was somewhat warmer.

We're thankful we live in something of a sweet spot when in comes to extreme weather, ie up on a hill away from a river in NW Philadelphia. No wildfires. No dry river & lake beds. No houses and cars floating down the creek. Only the occasional tornado...

Zardnaar

Legend
Nice now we dodged the worst of it. It's like we live in a pocket almost.

Then again there's no big rivers running through the city the Water of Leith is more a creek.

Very hilly as well so outside the flat bit in the South of the city it runs off the hills into the ocean.

Local water currents come off Antarctica. Went swimming in the ocean couple of years back the water temperature 14C. I checked and the Baltic was two degrees warmer.

Sun's out grounds still wet as hell.

Janx

Hero
Here in my part of Houston, we had rain on the 24th of May (I took a picture and sent it to a friend to demonstrate how hard it rains).

Then no rain in June. Frequently 100F temps throughout.

Maybe 2 rains in second half of July. Light. The ground still has some damp now, but my grass is mostly dead. I don't believe in watering.

The MUD (municipal utility district) had only just taken to telling folks not to water their lawns right when the 2nd rain came. SO they lowered it to "maybe don't water so much". My thinking is, don't water at all because if things are so dry you need to water, you shouldn't be wasting it on lawns.

Right now, it's about 87F outside.

Remove ads