The Westgate Campaign Chronicles - serial

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
The consensus among the companions was that Toran Goldfinder had been after the Shadowdancer blade, but Dermot and Shanni both wondered how he would know it had been part of the hoard. Shanni was eager to get out of the citadel and suggested they talk afterwards, a sentiment echoed by Dermot, who said he didn’t like the sound of Toran’s “dangerous” talk about having possession of valuable items outside the clan walls. Rahnee excused herself to get into her armor for the journey, then joined the others in heading for the dwarven citadel exit. (I understand why the company believed that Toran was after the most valuable - and dangerous - magic item in their possession, yet the logic is not sound. How indeed would the clan treasurer know of its existence, since they had not shown it to anyone within the citadel walls? Yet intuition can play a valuable role in guiding one's actions, where facts are not fully available. Certainly Toran wanted something out of their conversation and his dissembling manner was not convincing. --C)

When they reached the chamber leading to the gates, Clan Greeter Rumnaher offered a brief salutation and then asked Darrow for a word, pulling him aside for a conversation in dwarven. Shanni, somehow ending up last in the marching order, had the chamber door shut in her face and had to bang on it, a little panicky, to get Rahnee to open it from the other side. As the conversation between the dwarves went on, Dermot took the time to ready his weapons. Shanni, at first relieved not to have been locked in the citadel, became impatient and started edging for the outer door, asking if they could go now. However, a few moments later the conversation ended and Rumnaher wished fair travels to all.

Once past the inner gates, Shanni became cheery again, even waving good-bye to one of the dwarven defenders as he saluted them. Darrow saluted back and then, after the guards were out of earshot, told the others to wait up after they passed the outer gates. As they walked by the guest cave, Aerikoth’s raven familiar Zeluth winged out of it and took up a position above them. Soon, they were through the outer gates and at the Ironhelm valley entrance.

There, Darrow called a halt and informed them that Helrud had left them something buried in the corner of his tent in the hills; that was what Rumnaher had wanted to talk to him about. Shanni thought it was suspicious and suggested they just keep going. Rahnee countered, saying that it was not suspicious, and they were dwarf friends. Darrow reiterated that Helrud had buried something for them and had asked Rumnaher to tell him. Aerikoth queried when exactly the dwarf scout had done this and Darrow said he didn’t know, as Helrud was apparently still recovering and not up for talking. Having provided her vote on the matter, Shanni spent the rest of the conversation in the treeline, watching and looking for any threats. Rahnee urged them to detour to pick it up, since it was not too far, and the others agreed.

The five adventurers trod the now-familiar path into the mountains, hiking the ridgeline trail and roping up to the plateau as they had done before. As she had the last time on the way back, Shanni said she needed to go and went into the nearby cave for a short period, before returning with an impish grin on her face. Aerikoth failed on his first attempt at ascending the cliffside, but managed the second one well enough, and there were no further incidents during the journey to Helrud’s campsite in the Giant's Peak area.

Darrow immediately went for the tent, tucking his axe and shield away as he began looking in the snow at its corners. Rahnee called to him to let Shanni check things out, before he pulled anything out of a hole. Shanni explained that there might be a trap, but the dwarf said there was no trap and pointed to a patch of disturbed ground. He nevertheless backed away, grumbling, as Rahnee told him that she wanted to have Shanni check it. She reminded him of the fire bomb heads at Hallton’s manor, which had nearly claimed Darrow’s life. The dwarf poo-pooed the danger as Shanni, having looked the ground over carefully, informed the others that it just looked like someone buried something.

Shanni, still cautious, hacked a long stick off a nearby tree, then poked at the disturbed earth with it. As the ground was frozen and resisted her probing, she swore under her breath and started chipping away at the earth with her sword. Darrow protested the delay, saying that Helrud would not have trapped something and then told them to go dig it up, a point with which Aerikoth agreed. Just then, they all heard a thunk as Shanni’s sword hit something solid.

The petite rogue carefully cleared the earth off the thing’s surface, admitting that there was nothing of concern there, although she still argued that someone else could have put it there, or another person could have overheard Helrud's plans. Shanni’s ministrations revealed a little dragon figurine, which Darrow picked up and held out for the others to see. Aerikoth confirmed, at Rahnee’s request, that it was not magical. The black stone it was made of appeared similar similar to the stone in the underground chamber of the hoard, the wizard also observed. Darrow averred that it was not precious, but it might be worth something if they wanted to sell it, although he would probably hang onto it. The dwarf still wondered, though, why Helrud had wanted them to have it.

End of Chapter VIII of the Chronicles

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Interlude from "R"

This curious tale of dwarven clan intrigue raises some questions to my mind. First of these is who sent Darrow Ironhelm the original message box with the replica of the clan's ancestral axe he bore named Haelgrim. Although it must have been someone from the faction seeking to put him on the throne, this seems like an extravagant gesture, not least because of the days of travel needed to reach the hinterlands of Westgate. Even if Toran Goldfinder truly was the mastermind behind these events, such an act does not seem to be his style or one befitting a haughty noble. It sounds more like a couple of the younger hotheads came up with this "great idea" over a few Ironhelm ales and decided to act on it.

Another question is the role of fortune in these events. Every time the company - with its changing members - visits the clanhome, it seems another layer is peeled back from it. In this case, the ugly politics and scheming involved in the succession to the throne was laid bare. It was a matter of luck that led to Rahnee spotting the furtive placement of the "unwanted gem" on Shanni, who otherwise would have blithely continued on with her business and no doubt been (fraudulently) exposed as a thief, with dire consequences. But while thinking more on this matter, I ask myself if it is merely a coincidence that her patron goddess, faithfully propitiated, was Tymora? Those of us who follow Kelemvor's dictates are prone to thinking in certainties, since there is no thing more certain than death. Although I do not believe in divine intervention in such relatively petty matters, it is undeniable from my own experience that some people are notably more luckier than others, a fact which has implications for the ordering of the universe.

It is also notable how each of the party members had an important role to play in matters. Shanni's roguish skills offered a discreet way of getting rid of the "unwanted gem" after it was found; she also was central to the exploration of the hoard caverns. Dermot tracked the dwarf scout Helrud to the Hidden Peak area and appeared to at least somewhat moderate Shanni's temper, which I would say was the second greatest danger to the group while in the dwarven citadel. Aerikoth's erudition supported their decision-making throughout. Finally, Darrow, by rejecting an opportunity for the throne and then by defeating the iron golem guarding the hoard, was pivotal in the future of his clan. Although one should not assume that a hoard, once found, causes no further trouble.

Last edited:

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Interlude from "C"

Knowing that my predecessor as senior initiate "R" has already read these chronicles while inscribing his commentary, I must conclude that this is not the last we have heard of the disposition of the abandoned dragon hoard. The company has done very well out of its find so far, with the magical items they kept; perhaps they become fabulously rich later? Yet somehow I doubt it.

The encounter with the spectre Unanin in the Deep Delve was brief, but troublesome. "R" did not mention it at all in his summary, although I have noted he tends to write more in the margins of the chronicles, rather than saving up his thoughts for later. As is the case with all undead, I oppose their very being and cannot believe that Unanin's presence under Clan Ironhelm bodes well for the future. Yet other histories I have read recount how various powerful undead beings have preferred to isolate themselves and have no interaction with others, only striking at those who are brave or foolish enough to disturb their lairs. Indeed, it is difficult to think what Unanin would want from the Ironhelm dwarves, that would make a difference in its un-life.

I shall continue with recording some of my reflections on each of the central personages, taken in order of their appearance, as more of their individual natures is revealed in each chapter. I see the purpose of studying and pondering these chronicles being not simply to gain knowledge of the events contained within, but to understand the nature of the world and how we evolve within it.

Aerikoth Ankharat - what struck me most about the wizard in this chapter was his role with the group, insofar as he actually was with it the entire time. I have become used to seeing references to his absences - many times with little explanation - but his presence, as "R" previously alluded to, bolstered the group in many ways. His intellectual curiosity was perhaps the most evident trait, as he encountered for the first time the aboveground ancient ruins of the dragon kingdom, as well as magical marvels such as the iron golem belowground. This trait did not endear him to everyone and perhaps was distracting at times, yet his thirst for knowledge appeared authentic. His acerbic view of the Ironhelm clan's claims on the hoard I thought could have contributed to a more serious rupture within the party, yet the wizard - intentionally? - did not pursue the matter further when things came to a head. In this particular matter, his opinion aligned with that of Dermot and Shanni, which is something of a novelty.

Rahnee Roaringhorn - the young noblewoman adventurer was in her element, given the mix of politics, exploration and fighting involved. A hint of tragedy still followed her, but she seemed to bond with Shanni over their everyday challenges, as well as the fraught perils of dwarven intrigue and exploring the Hidden Peak caverns. The two of them had previously cleared the air over matters affected by Rahnee's loss of her previous mate, Brok-Tul, that tension at least being resolved. I do not believe it was strictly luck that led Rahnee to spot the planting of the gem on Shanni, either. The noblewoman evidently has had training in such matters, no doubt necessary for facing the challenges of a place such as her home of Waterdeep.

Darrow Ironhelm - although his was no doubt the deepest involvement of any the company in the events related to his clan, such is his straightforward nature that I feel I have relatively little to add to the chronicles' account. With most other people, the offer of a throne - even if done in a manipulative and perhaps poisoned manner - would have caused much angst in its consideration, or at the very least a sleepless night or two. Darrow's rejection of the idea was seemingly never in doubt, although I imagine he must have at least briefly considered the possibility. His nature is rebellious, or perhaps chaotic is a better way to put it, and he recognized that being placed in a position of such authority would result in great unhappiness, both for him personally and for his clan. Such self-knowledge and the ability to act on it is a sign of maturity.

Dermot Kenner - the taciturn ranger displayed more of his thoughtful nature over the course of events, as well as his tracking skills. He considered all of the angles when faced with each problem and contributed much to their solutions, such as the clever melting of the ice blocking the caverns' entry grate. It was also interesting to see his take on the ownership of the hoard, betraying a certain amount of erudition in such matters, beyond that of a simple woodsman. His diplomatic attitude with Prince Dalgan also helped smooth over tensions involving the visitors, in particular offsetting Shanni's fiery temper. He, Shanni and Darrow made an effective team in the initial exploration of the caverns, which implies experience in such ventures. Yet we still know almost nothing about his time before he fell in with company.

Shanni Krowe - both the adventuring skills and the volatility of the "petite rogue", as the chronicler calls her, was on full display as she fought the pressures of being wrongfully accused and, for a time, unwillingly confined in Ironhelm. Although her temper and occasionally nasty gestures toward the dwarves stand out from the others during this period, I must ask myself if I would have felt any different, essentially trapped and put on trial in an unfamiliar place. Shanni also apparently did not do well underground - perhaps a touch of claustrophobia? - which no doubt contributed to the situation. A vein of greed was exposed by the prospect and then the reality of finding the hoard; not surprising, perhaps, but avarice is not a quality to be sought after. Nevertheless, it must be admitted that she appeared to do the best out of all of them, in terms of the spoils from the dragon hoard.

Last edited:

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Chapter IX: Fighting the Fire Knives

Return to Westgate

Starting from Helrud’s campsite near Giant’s Peak, the five adventurers – Aerikoth Ankharat, Rahnee Roaringhorn, Darrow Ironhelm, Dermot Kenner and Shanni Krowe – faced a long trek to return to Westgate. They made their way back to the ridgeline trail without major incident, although Aerikoth fell again while traversing the cliff face, wounding his pride. A hike of four hours placed them at the Mountaingate Crossroads on the Shining Plains trail, where they turned north for Trader’s Road. A small detour to avoid a couple of bears on the way did not slow them down much, but it was still very late at night before they reached the Shining Plains Crossroads, the area of the intersection with Trader’s Road.

Aerikoth wasted no time in casting a spell to summon a magical hut, which the party immediately entered, a fatigued Shanni staggering past the door first. As the company hastily doffed their traveling clothes and tried to dry off from the rain, Dermot queried Rahnee regarding what kind of work she expected her friends in the city – meaning House Urdo – would want to give them. Rahnee had little real idea and conversation soon halted as one by one they bedded down, Darrow being the first to start snoring. Dermot, still pensive, listened to the rain on the outside of the hut until he fell asleep.

At dawn on Ches 17, light leaked through the hut door, signifying that the sun had risen. With various degrees of grumbling, the company got up and made preparations to resume their journey, only waiting for Aerikoth to finish studying his spells. Shanni and Rahnee in particular were looking forward to staying in a warm inn with a bath, a bed and clean clothes. They also wanted food and drink that wasn’t sausages and ale. Dermot, curious about Darrow’s experience, empathetically asked the dwarf if he felt weird being away from his clanhome. He admitted that it was odd speaking human all the time, not having chairs the right height, and warned not to get him started about the ale. Darrow however said that he thereby got a chance to see the world as it is, not stuck away someplace, as he put it.

Still a little groggy from the previous day’s travels, they took longer than expected to find the right trail heading east. Once they were properly on Trader’s Road, six more hours of walking put them at the western outskirts of Teziir. A short debate was held about whether to stop in the city and perhaps say hello to Council Member Queron Ulanthar, to let him know to expect a trade embassy from Ironhelm. Darrow and Rahnee, who had suggested this, were however fine with the preference of the others to continue. Dermot pointed out that there was plenty of daylight left and Shanni reminded them that House Urdo was expecting them soonest.

The petite rogue, having got her way, was nonetheless still grumpy as it began raining again on them while they passed by the city limits. They continued on another four hours to the Reddansyr Crossroads, at which point Dermot cheerily stated that they were at least halfway there. This earned him a sharp comment from Shanni, who kept her face buried in the hood of her cloak and trudged along dejectedly. Darrow then cheerily commented that the only way it could get worse was if it snowed.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
A number of hours of further travel brought them into some hills. In the foggy weather, they were suddenly set upon by some wild animals, including a group of badgers. Dermot was mauled before they could kill them all and he had to borrow Darrow’s ring of regeneration afterwards to heal. After a little while, Dermot pronounced himself much better, although he ruefully mentioned he could use a ring like that for his armor as well.

Just then, the ranger spotted something in the distance and Shanni cocked her head, also hearing something. After a few seconds, Dermot told them to get off the road and behind a nearby ridge, and to be quiet. Shanni pulled her magical cloak tightly around her in response, as they headed for the ridge crest

As soon as they were over it, they heard and saw what had originally driven the animals their way: two hill giants. The party was surprised and one of the giants picked up a nearby boulder and tossed it at them as the other charged. A general melee ensued as Darrow held the one giant at bay and the others scattered to provide the other giant with less of a target and employ their ranged weapons. Darrow suffered a large gash in his shoulder but managed to bring down the giant in front of him, as his companions finished the other one off.

A little dazed from the battle and now even more tired, the company trooped back to Trader’s Road and continued east. It was another four hours before they reached the outskirts of Westgate; Rahnee said she could begin to smell the port. By that point, Shanni was lagging significantly behind the others, while Darrow was still grumbling about the encounter with the giants.

The dwarf, however, was aware enough to whistle to the ranger, who from sheer inertia was still heading east into the city, in order to direct him to the south, where the Gatereach compound lay outside Mulsantir’s Gate. Rahnee meanwhile went back to make sure that Shanni did not collapse by the side of the road. As they passed the Gatereach compound gate, Rahnee remarked that the guest cottage was being rebuilt and Darrow took a quick look at the construction site.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Inside the Gatereach Inn, which they were all relieved to enter, Jandrico Swift greeted them after Rahnee and Darrow announced their presence. The innkeeper regarded their travel-stained clothing as they filed in and Rahnee made known her desperate need for some tea. Jandrico said he would go inform Goruna that tea and breakfast was needed. The innkeeper also mentioned that Barzog, his other employee, was off getting supplies, otherwise he would have been there to greet them as well. In response to a question from Rahnee, Jandrico said the three rooms nearest the stairs were available, then excused himself to see to their breakfast.

While Shanni slumped on a barstool, already having fallen asleep, Rahnee started figuring out the room assignments. Aerikoth stated that he had other arrangements, just as the inn’s serving woman marched in with their food and drink, Jandrico trailing behind her. Goruna gave them a hearty greeting, reserving a special gap-toothed smile for Dermot. The ranger suddenly seemed a little hesitant about staying at the Gatereach, mentioning that he might need to look around town, before uncertainly returning Goruna’s smile. Rahnee nudged Shanni to try to wake her, but the exhausted rogue instead wobbled and fell off the stool as Darrow took a wedge of bread and ham and began eating.

Rahnee was curious about Aerikoth’s plans, so the wizard informed them that some time ago, with the assistance of Thessar, he had purchased a house outside the city walls. Rahnee was surprised but thought it wonderful for him to have his own house. (It is remarkable that Aerikoth finally shared this private information with the others - although on the surface it seems harmless enough. It is equally remarkable that Rahnee thought to follow up on the matter, rather than being immediately distracted by something else, as so often occurs with questions regarding the wizard's affairs. --R) Meanwhile, a barely awake Shanni grumbled and tugged on Dermot's cloak to get back upright and onto a barstool. Rahnee, eating with as much gracefulness as possible while quickly putting food in her mouth, urged Shanni to eat first, then go to sleep. Once Goruna and Jandrico had left to go about their business, Dermot told Rahnee that it would in fact be best if he stayed there, now that he had thought about it.

As the party dug into their meal, the half-orc Barzog – their acquaintance from Starmantle – arrived carrying a large number of packages. Grinning broadly as he put them down, Barzog greeted the company as friends. This elicited a cheerful reply from Rahnee, but notably less enthusiasm from her tired companions, who listened to her banter with the half-orc. Barzog declared himself happy with his current circumstances at the Gatereach, comparing employment there favorably to his time on the slaver ship and in the Starmantle jail. (It is gratifying to see some further good come out of the company's quest for the return of Janatha from the slavers. Barzog, first encountered while in prison, seems to be a rather crude personality, but genuine in his appreciation for a better life in Westgate. --C)

After Barzog went back to work, Rahnee suggested that they could all gather back at the Gatereach the morning of the following day; everyone agreed it would be a good idea to get some much-needed rest. She said she would send word to Losifan Urdo, the Mercenaries Guild leader whose House now held the position of Croamakrh, that they were back in town and see when he wanted to meet. Rahnee and Shanni, who was carried upstairs by Dermot, took the large room, while the ranger and Darrow each got their own smaller rooms. Aerikoth, before departing for his own house, said he would return that evening for dinner.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
True to his word, shortly after hour 18, Aerikoth re-entered the Gatereach bar room and found Darrow, Dermot and Shanni there. They informed him that Rahnee was not feeling well enough to get out of bed, largely due to the blisters on her feet. As the wizard leaned his staff on the bar and took a seat on one of the stools, Dermot showed him a curious letter that had just been delivered by a boy. On its page were the symbols of a raven taking flight, a crooked staff and a harp; the three of them had just been trying to figure out what it meant.

Glancing at the letter, the wizard indicated that the harp was obvious, but not the other two. He asked if Dermot had any affiliation with the Harpers, but the ranger replied that it was a mystery to him. Turning over the page, he looked at the seal of the White Stag stamped on it. Darrow brought up the fact that Aerikoth had a raven familiar; the wizard, going with the idea, said that the raven symbol lead him to believe that it was a message for him or his associates. He mentioned previous contacts in Westgate with Jamal, who was affiliated with the Harpers, that had been accomplished via his familiar Zeluth. Shanni was skeptical of the idea that it was meant for Aerikoth, mentioning that before the wizard had arrived, the boy had given it specifically to Dermot.

Jandrico Swift at this point entered the room, saying he had prepared a balm for the Lady Rahnee's feet; she seemed to be getting better. He inquired if they needed anything. Shanni politely asked for some food, while Darrow signaled for both food and ale. Aerikoth then informed the others that he would send Zeluth out to look for her – meaning Jamal – explaining that unlike himself, the raven actually seemed to like her.

Dermot retrieved the letter and folded it until only the raven-taking-flight symbol was shown, then held it up for Jandrico Swift to look at. As the innkeeper glanced at it, the ranger asking the innkeeper if it meant anything to him. Jandrico replied that it was a raven rising from a tree branch. Darrow then asked a “trivia question”, as he put it, about whether there was a tavern called “The Twisted Staff” in Westgate. Jandrico said there was not, but there was a “Rising Raven” inn, outside the River Gate. Dermot noted this as he tucked the letter away and Aerikoth confirmed that they had met there a time or two before, if his memory served.

Dermot, interested in pursuing the matter further, asked if the other three were all right with arranging the Urdo business. Shanni said rather bluntly she wanted to go buy some clothes and Darrow opined there was no reason they couldn’t mix the two. As Goruna and Jandrico brought in dinner, Dermot slung on his cloak and pocketed some food for the road. The ranger awkwardly returned Goruna’s smile as he took his leave and the others began to concentrate on their meal. Once that was through, Darrow and Shanni departed on their shopping expedition and said they hoped to possibly make arrangements with Urdo as well; Aerikoth, for his part, preferred to remain at the inn.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
The next day, Ches 19, Shanni was quite late to arise, finally joining the others mid-morning for breakfast at the Gatereach. Aerikoth and Dermot had already been out and about in the city, including running into each other briefly at Shalush Myrkeer’s shop, before returning to the inn. Over the meal, Dermot handed out an impressive amount of gold to his companions, explaining that he had been out selling some of the spare trinkets collected by the group. All appreciated the extra coin and Rahnee also shared out some gold with group, although the amount was not as substantial as the ranger’s.

As Shanni dug into her oatmeal – ignoring the sausages that came with them – she lamented that she had not been as successful over the previous day. She mentioned she had gone out for a late walk, to try and sell some of the gems they had found, and also ask around about enchantments like that on her magical blade. In response to a question from Aerikoth, the petite rogue said she had just made some general inquiries about special weapons, not mentioning hers specifically. Darrow brought up Gondeth the mage, who had a shop in the Market district, and Rahnee and Aerikoth both thought it would be useful to show the blade to him, as he had previously helped the company. Shanni however was more cautious about the idea, even though they assured her he was trustworthy.

Once breakfast was over, Rahnee got a sick look on her face and ran upstairs after excusing herself. Aerikoth took his leave more leisurely, indicating that he would return to the Gatereach in two hours’ time, thereby allowing the company to proceed together to the meeting Darrow and Shanni had scheduled with Losifan Urdo at the Mercenaries Guild. After the wizard departed, Darrow, Dermot and Shanni went out to see the Spring Equinox festival being celebrated in the streets of Westgate.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Unwelcome Mercenaries

Late morning on Ches 19, Aerikoth, Rahnee and Darrow met up at the Gatereach inn. Darrow had informed Rahnee, just before the wizard arrived, that Dermot and Shanni had some urgent shopping or something to do, so did not return with him. The dwarf also related that they had stopped by the Black Boot Inn, pursuing rumors about disappearing Westgate citizens, and had cultivated a new source by the name of Lomilith. He was an elven hedge wizard who made coin by casting cantrips. Darrow described how the elf, who was eager enough to help, nearly cried when presented with five gold and being asked to keep his ears open.

The three adventurers agreed to head out for the Mercenaries Guild, once Darrow had changed into his armor; Rahnee was wearing hers and he did not want to be underdressed. They set out into the streets, even more crowded than usual because of the spring festival. Darrow was quite taken with the concept of a festival beer garden and looked forward to visiting one later on. The crowds got them turned around a bit, but eventually they made it through the River Gate district, where Darrow pointed out the Black Boot, and to East Gate where the Mercenaries Guild headquarters was located.

Outside the guild’s building, Aerikoth halted and pulled the others side for a moment. The wizard explained that he had heard rumors that the Scarlet Company, whom they had previously met in Reddansyr, had been hired by House Cormaeril. He was unsure if the guild knew about them, but wanted to share the information with Rahnee and Darrow, in any event. Rahnee recalled meeting them at the inn with the boat on the roof; both she and Darrow thought they were good sorts. All three wondered, if the rumor was true, if the Scarlet Company knew the reputed character of the Cormaerils.

Inside the guild headquarters, Tara the clerk recognized “Helm’s Shadows” and informed them that Losifan Urdo was expecting them, directing the three adventurers to his upstairs office. There, the Mercenaries Guild head recruiter welcomed them and made some pleasant small talk to begin. He mentioned that increased duties in Westgate meant it was unlikely he would be able to accompany caravans and exchange tales under the stars, as occurred during their first meeting at the Reddansyr Crossroads, at least for a while.

Turning to business, Losifan first confirmed with Rahnee that the company was available for hire. He then informed them that House Urdo had been coping with the Fire Knives assassination threat well enough, but House Cormaeril might be looking to challenge their authority in other ways, having hired the Scarlet Company mercenary group in the past tenday. He went on to explain that they had not registered with the Mercenaries Guild, making them an outlaw company from the Guild’s perspective and giving Losifan the authority to act against them. He admitted that he had little information about their activities in the city, but could not imagine that they would be to House Urdo’s benefit. He then offered Helm’s Shadows a 1,500 gold contract to remove the Scarlet Company from Westgate.

After some back-and-forth, during which Losifan clarified that they could “remove” the Scarlet Company any way they saw fit, Rahnee indicated that they would attend to Urdo’s problem as soon as possible. Losifan also mentioned there recently had been a spate of temporary kidnappings of lordlings from various Houses – all except Cormaeril and Vhammos had suffered – which saw the nobles eventually left trussed up in their underwear on the city streets at night. Darrow and Rahnee brought up rumors of common folk going missing and wondered if there was a connection. Losifan confessed he had not heard of anything special regarding the commoners, who tended to disappear in normal times, being victims of crime or ending up floating in the harbor, after falling into the sea drunk. He said that the City Watch would welcome any information they might happen to run across on the situation.

Aerikoth, Rahnee and Darrow took their leave and walked out of the building, heading back to the Gatereach. Aerikoth was dismissive of the guild’s reasoning regarding the illegality of unregistered groups in Westgate, but was nonetheless willing to go along and accept the contract. Rahnee said she would prefer to talk to the Scarlet Company as friends, to see if they had unknowingly stepped into a tall pile of purple worm pilings, as she put it. Darrow suggested asking around inns near Cormaeril Castle as a starting point and Rahnee queried Aerikoth if that would be near his house. The wizard indicated that it was outside West Gate and was not far from the castle, with the Spitting Cockatrice and Leaning Man inns nearby.

(I have noted that the wizard has strong reactions to different types of authority. He appears outwardly respectful and generally appreciative of the role and privileges of the nobility. His relationship with Baron Pahar of Turnton is one example of this, as were his interactions with the nobles of Clan Ironhelm. However, he completely disdains temple authorities and has been dismissive of the Mercenaries Guild from the beginning, having to be convinced by the others to register along with them. Something in his background is likely the key to this behavior. Does he come from nobility himself? Possible, though we know almost nothing of his circumstances before arriving in Westgate, and he has never claimed such. I believe that something in his past must also explain his apparent hatred of religious authorities. It is remarkable, but I do not recall ever seeing a reference to him propitiating any gods, not even cursing using their names, unlike all of the other members of the company. --C)

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
By the time Dermot and Shanni returned to the Gatereach around mid-afternoon, Rahnee had retired to her room with more stomach complaints. That left Aerikoth and Darrow to explain what had occurred at the Mercenaries Guild meeting with Losifan Urdo. Their companions also thought Losifan’s treatment of the Scarlet Company was rather harsh, and agreed that the best course of action would be to try to find them for a talk before doing anything else.

Darrow enthusiastically suggested a tavern crawl – in fact a reasonable strategy for searching out the mercenaries – concentrating in the area outside West Gate. The four made their way there, at which point Aerikoth excused himself to go to his house – which he indicated to the others – and catch up on his magical studies. That left Darrow, Dermot and Shanni on their own to investigate the various local inns.

By early evening of Ches 19, the three had returned to the Gatereach to collect Rahnee, who by that point was up and about again. The Spring Equinox festival had begun and the inn was abuzz with talk. Darrow was eager to get going to the beer garden, where they could sit outside, mingle and make ale disappear – perhaps while picking up some information as well. They decided to leave Aerikoth to his wizardly studies and head for the Harbor Loop, the epicenter of the city-wide party.

Darrow was not disappointed by the garden of beer, located at the Rosebud Outdoor Tavern, and enthusiastically indulged in drinking and arm wrestling. The other three, more slowly getting drunker, kept an eye out for any activity that might be of interest. Rahnee spotted a young nobleman having a conversation with a whore and then departing. In light of what Losifan Urdo had told them about the temporary kidnappings of lordlings, she signaled to Dermot – who was arm wrestling Darrow at the time – to catch up when he could. The dwarf soon forced the ranger’s arm to the table, at which point the two of them and Shanni, all of them ironically play-acting drunk while not very sober, weaved through the dense crowd and out into the street after Rahnee.

For some reason their collective tracking skills were off, but eventually they found near the neighborhood sewer entrance an unconscious guard from House Bleth. He soon revived, complaining about having been ambushed by a sorcerer, and told them that his charge, Lord Anubin Bleth, was missing. After a search of the area the four companions, although not fully equipped in either body or mind at that point, decided to head down into the sewers, where they believed the lordling must have been taken.

Last edited:

Remove ads