The Westgate Campaign Chronicles - serial

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
With a sense of finality, the party readied itself for its confrontation with Ashnakzeroth. Aerikoth inquired of Melissa if she had a weapon, which provoked hysterical laughter from the woman, who, gripped by fear, repeated over and over that she had a dagger. Brok-Tul did his best to calm her while the others prepared themselves.

As a group, they then moved forward towards the citadel gates and passed into the large courtyard beyond, Brok-Tul and Rahnee carefully scouting the path ahead. Once past the gates, they were able to make out in the distance thirteen skeletal undead standing in silent ranks before the entrance to a tower. Ashnakzeroth was visible, towering over them in the back and wielding a darkly glowing staff. Brok-Tul, his voice shaking, took out the tiny box that was the gift of Moradin and asked Aerikoth for a distraction. Rahnee declared, "Remember Brok, I love you. Now and forever.” Brok-Tul replied, “I love you too, no matter what gods have to say about it."

Ashnakeroth’s voice, deep and resonating, rang out across the courtyard. “Bring the wizard to me!” Aerikoth said, in answer, “Indeed. Shall I see if those creatures are immune to my magic?” Rahnee replied, “Be my guest, Aerikoth.” As Belle and Brok-Tul readied themselves, Aerikoth said, “Then so be it. Let us begin this.” Veran declared, “Let us finish this. Kelemvor grant me strength.” Brok-Tul said he would use the hammer and bell of Moradin’s gift upon the activation of Aerikoth’s spell. Chanting, the wizard raised his arms and a fireball blossomed forth, speeding toward the front ranks of the undead. Brok-Tul said, “Moradin and Helm, hear my plea: let this day be the last of this evil creature” and rang the bell, its clear, clean tones ringing out across the landscape. At the same moment the fireball exploded, the sound of the bell reached Ashnakzeroth and a group of spectral dwarves appeared to fall out of the sky, surrounding him.

Combat was immediately joined by all save Melissa, who cowered by the entrance gate. The ranks of skeletal warriors and flaming skeletons charged the companions, while Ashnakzeroth used his magic to contend with the ghostly dwarven warriors, who wielded great battle-hammers as they attacked their ancient foe. Rahnee and Veran broke free from the melee and made for Ashnakzeroth, who had been wounded, but was destroying the spectral dwarves facing him one by one. Turning from the dwarves, Ashnakzeroth called upon dark magics and struck down the two companions before they could reach him. However, this left him vulnerable to his other enemies, and the lich fell to the ground with a despairing cry as the last remaining spectral dwarf smashed his hammer into the lich’s body, causing the abomination’s life force to depart its mortal shell.

Meanwhile, the battle against Ashnakzeroth’s skeletal allies was slowly being won, although only with great effort. Brok-Tul, armored by his god’s protective magic, wielded his enchanted weapon with great stubbornness, smashing the bones of his foes, although the undead warriors he faced showed unusual skill, time and again knocking the weapon from his grasp. Aerikoth discovered early on that the skeletal warriors were able to resist most of his magics, so he summoned a huge dire wolf to fight by Brok-Tul’s side in the melee. Belle for her part sent arrow after magic arrow into the skeletons, but had little success in damaging their bony frames. After what seemed like forever, an exhausted and bleeding Brok-Tul finally stood over the smashed bones of his foes; for their part, Aerikoth and Belle had both been spared harm. Melissa, who had stayed out of the way of the battle, came up to join them, shouting out that the Master was dead, to which Aerikoth replied, “At what cost?”

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
The four of them still standing – Aerikoth, Brok-Tul, Belle and Melissa – slowly made their away over to where Ashnakzeroth had fallen. There, they saw the last spectral dwarven warrior standing over the corpses of Rahnee and Veran. The dwarf saluted them, saying as he faded out, “By Moradin’s will, it is done. The abomination is dead.” Staggering over to Rahnee, Brok-Tul slowly picked up her body, cradling her in his arms. Aerikoth observed to the others that Ashnakzeroth’s remains had apparently vanished.

At Aerikoth’s direction, Belle went over to Veran, but Melissa had already picked the monk’s body up. (I have little trust in her and for good reason, given her pact with the abomination. Yet it is undeniable that she formed a bond with Brother Veran, which signifies that she was, perhaps, not beyond redemption. --R). Brok-Tul appeared to look into the distance, as if listening to something only he could hear, then declared he had to ring the bell again. Aerikoth recalled to Brok-Tul that Ashnakzeroth had said that the only way off this mountain was to use his portal. Belle asked Melissa if she could confirm if there was a portal within the tower.

The half-orc then said aloud, “Moradin…send us home…thank you Moradin and Helm” and rang the hammer and bell of Moradin’s gift. As the crystal tones of the bell sounded for the second time, a glowing blue portal appeared in front of him and the dwarven god’s gift vanished from Brok-Tul’s fingers. Melissa, in answer to Belle’s question, pointed at the new portal and said that she would trust that more than anything found within Ashnakzeroth’s tower. Brok-Tul and Melissa, each shouldering a body of a companion, then entered the portal, followed soon after by the others.

As soon as he stepped through the portal, Brok-Tul fell to his knees in surprise. After the others had finished arriving, one by one, Brok-Tul told them that he recognized the place as the valley of Clan Ironhelm, ancestral home of the dwarves that had assisted them. The group moved forward slowly towards the gates, Brok-Tul and Melissa staggering under their respective burdens.

At the outer gates, Brok-Tul hailed the dwarven defenders guarding them, declaring that Helm’s Shadows had been sent home by Moradin. The guards recognized Brok-Tul as the one who had received Moradin’s Gift and, saluting the surviving companions, bade them pass to the inner gates.

Arriving at the inner gates, Brok-Tul repeated his tale for the guards. One of them went inside to fetch a clan elder to speak with the companions, who waited patiently for him to complete his task. Soon, the guard returned, followed by Clan Greeter Rumnaher.

Rumnaher recognized Brok-Tul and was told of the defeat of Ashnakzeroth and the fall of two of Brok-Tul’s companions. The dwarven elder said that few outsiders had seen the halls of Clan Ironhelm, but that he would be honored to invite Helm’s Shadows within and see if the high priest Iskar could tend to the fallen. Brok-Tul, belatedly remembering protocol, introduced his companions and they all followed the elder through the gates, Belle taking over the burden of bearing Veran’s corpse from Melissa.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Once inside the dwarven citadel, Melissa expressed her sense of wonder at being in such a place, as the others took in the scale of the underground halls; even the normally phlegmatic Aerikoth paused a moment to do so. They made their way up a long corridor and passed a large open dining area, before finally reaching the underground temple of Moradin. There, Rumnaher called Iskar over to meet the companions. The dwarven priest recognized Brok-Tul as the one who had been given Moradin’s Gift and saluted the half-orc for being the instrument of the clan’s vengeance against Ashnakzeroth. Iskar said he would see to the fallen, prompting a shuddering Brok-Tul to carefully place Rahnee’s body on the floor of the temple, Belle then depositing Veran’s corpse next to it.

Iskar said he would require some time to contact their spirits and call them back, in Moradin’s name. He began to pray over Rahnee’s body and was joined by Brok-Tul, who raised a plea to Helm to not be separated from her. After a time, her hand twitched slightly, signaling that the breath of life had returned to her body. While Iskar cast healing magic on her, a dazed-looking Rahnee attempted to get her bearings, aided by Brok-Tul, who soothingly tried to explain what had happened. Iskar then turned his attention to Veran while Brok-Tul softly asked Rahnee to pray for the monk to return as well. Iskar’s prayers were eventually answered and Veran groaned, slowly sitting up to receive Iskar’s healing touch. (The second return for Brother Veran. I wonder if he had time to speak to anyone he had previously met in Kelemvor's halls? --R)

After the two newly-restored companions had gained their bearings, Rumnaher declared that it was a great day for the clan and ordered a hero’s welcome for their guests. Brok-Tul, evidently having thought of something, excitedly dug around in his pack, eventually emerging with the cold, glowing gem, placing it on the floor and telling the dwarves that it was what was left of “Ashy.”

Iskar showed a strong aversion to it, declaring that he had no desire to handle anything of the abomination and that Brok-Tul should keep it until they could all speak further of the matter. Brok-Tul began to explain why he felt the clan should have it, then thought better of it and shut his mouth, picking up the gem again and placing it back within the bag of holding. Iskar said that they indeed had much to discuss, as he called for assistance to show the companions to the clan’s guest quarters.

End of Part I of the Chronicles

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Campaign Chronicles: interlude from "C"

I have taken several days to contemplate the events in the first part of the Chronicles. In these last blank pages of the first volume, I do not see any commentary from my predecessor as senior initiate "R" - perhaps, having chosen to read the chronicles in their entirety before going back to make his annotations, he (as in other places) does not wish to unduly prejudice the thinking of his successors. This fact has led me, in turn, to reflect more on this final process of confirmation with the Order and how it differs from the other lessons we have been taught. I am becoming convinced that each individual's solitary reading of the Chronicles is meant to not only convey to them the knowledge contained within these pages, but to teach the importance of thinking on our own about the challenges we must face. The Order's teachings cannot have all of the answers to the situations life places in front of us, even if its principles are universal.

Another lesson that is apparent, given the experiences shared within this tome, is that there is always something more that needs to be done, and much uncertainty over the correct path. The crescendo of the final (?) confrontation with Ashnakzeroth, the ancient lich seeking to regain his old power, has immediately been followed by a quieter but insistent refrain, the problem of what to do with its phylactery. The abomination's intelligent and cunning plan of using ritual "blood magic" to enhance his power appears to have played out across more than a millennium, and is not done yet. Furthermore, the separate appearance of a vampire problem in Westgate and the efforts of Jamal, the Harper bard, and others to combat it has been mentioned, but no more as of yet. Even without having read the remainder of the Chronicles, I know that this needs must resurface in the future.

As done before, I shall organize some of my thoughts on the principals involved and put them on paper, in order of their longevity with the party.

Aerikoth Ankharat - I wonder if the wizard fully appreciates the sacrifices made for him by the others. His calm - verging on emotionless - approach to life has brought him many benefits, it seems, as he marshals his powers and intellect in a manner which often leaves him unscathed while his companions bleed or die. Melissa's explanation of Aerikoth's importance to Ashnakzeroth, if it can be fully believed, hinges on the interrupted ritual mentioned at the beginning of these Chronicles, when the necromancer Zagath was killed by Aerikoth and the mage's former companions in the Six Points Adventuring Company. The wizard evidently has other secrets as well, ones which have not been revealed in these chronicles and are not known to the other party members. His companions, I must say, have been remarkably tolerant of his periodic disappearances and limited explanations. But perhaps such is the normal way with adventurers, all of whom have things they wish to keep private, so in turn respect the privacy of others.

Rahnee Roaringhorn - her challenge to the lich over "friendship" resonated with me, if not with her foe, who apparently possessed no comprehension of the phenomenon. And it is touching to see that her bond of love with Brok-Tul, the half-orc converted cleric of Helm, is strong beyond measure, persisting to and through the point of death. He, at least, appears to appreciate what he has in that respect. Rahnee's courage has been repeatedly tested and not found wanting, and she has learned much in her travels and adventures. Yet I sense that her will to triumph over her enemies is still based at least in part on romantic ideals, believing that she will always emerge victorious. Having died in the confrontation with Ashnakzeroth and been brought back by Iskar, the dwarven cleric, it remains to be seen if her outlook on life will be tempered as a result.

Brok-Tul - he has journeyed far from his origins as a thug in the Shore district of Westgate. His heart has visibly grown, it seems, over the passage of time with his companions in what he has called "Helm's Shadows" - indeed a fitting name for the company, from his perspective. He and Rahnee have formed an unlikely yet unbreakable bond, which the half-orc rightly treasures. His rashness has been restrained many times - although not always - by his companions, which leads me to reflect on the value of people as individuals and in groups. Perhaps the lesson is that we can be stronger and more successful with others in our life, rather than only relying on ourselves.

Jokull of Arabel - as with Rahnee, his courage is unquestioned, and he possesses even greater skills as a warrior, as shown by his victories in the pit fights at the Quivering Thumb in Westgate. Yet the former Purple Knight's obsession with personal vengeance has consumed him, leading him on a path away from his companions before they moved to confront Ashnakzeroth. I shall refrain from judging his actions, since his companions did not, but he is a clear example of someone who puts their own interests ahead of anything else, which is not the teaching of the Order. One loses a sense of proportion and perspective when this happens, which can only be detrimental to the larger causes we seek to serve.

Veran Bron - Brother Veran is a legend in the Order, yet these pages show him to be human as well, and to have made mistakes. This teaches me that perfection is not to be expected, nor can it be obtained in this life. Rather, one must live according to their values and follow the righteous path as best as one can. The fear that he showed - and mastered - prior to the confrontation with Ashnakzeroth demonstrates that courage is not the absence of fear, rather the recognition of it and the refusal to let it determine your actions. The bond of friendship - or at least of tolerance - that he developed with Melissa also demonstrates the value of compassion.

Belle Goodman - the ranger became involved with the company through running errands for the temple of Oghma in Reddansyr, and stayed with the party to fight the abomination, which speaks to her character. She must have experienced a great shock due to her death in Ashnakzeroth's tower, subsequent raising, and the confrontation with the abomination. Yet she came through seemingly in good spirits - which forces me to consider whether I could have done the same, in her position.

I must also consider Melissa, the one-time apprentice of the abomination. On one level, her story is a tragedy, she having been corrupted as a teenager by Zagath while growing up in Turnton. She has shown some sympathy and promise during her interactions with both High Cleric Carlin and Brother Veran. Yet she has also made her own choices for evil, as starkly revealed by the remains of her experiments in Ashnakzeroth's tower. The question of her loyalty it seems has been resolved by events, instead of by her own choice, given the lich's defeat. Questions remain about her intentions, however, and the unresolved matter of the phylactery means that she still has a role to play.

Last edited:

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Campaign Chronicles: interlude from "R"

In these first, blank pages of Part II of the Chronicles I shall put down some personal thoughts. I confess to very mixed feelings about what has occurred, in light of their later consequences. It is also evident that the seeds of future destruction have already been sown by some. This leads me to wonder: is character destiny? I say not, otherwise Judgement would be irrelevant, the world simply being a wind-up mechanism for Ao's enjoyment. The events of the Time of Troubles at least show that what the gods do matters, and by extension the chosen actions of their followers. An Order such as ours, that follows Kelemvor's rule, thus may have many duties to perform in the wider world.

This time of reading and contemplation of the Chronicles is supposed to be the keystone in our preparation for life outside the monastery walls. Indeed, they offer many lessons on how the world actually works, instead of how we may wish it to. My own story is in essence the reverse of the expected of one in my position, already having had far too many experiences in the outside world before choosing to don the robes of a monk. This provides me with a - somewhat jaundiced? - perspective that I shall share with any who follow me in reading these pages. As in the first part of the Chronicles, I shall not reveal too much of what lies ahead, for any who perform a different sort of reading of the text.

The first book ended on a triumph: the party's defeat in battle of the lich Ashnakzeroth. This much at least is conventional storytelling, yet the winding and uncertain road to that particular victory - with death and the occasional folly making their appearances - leads me to believe that the Chronicles are a true reflection of events, rather than just a bard's tale. The main task still facing the party - how to deal with the lich's unique phylactery and its erstwhile follower Melissa - is not as straightforward as battling a monster. What eventually occurs does not fully put a line under the matter, it seems, although it is difficult to fully judge the situation. A certain lack of ruthlessness is evident, at the very least, which in my jaundiced view is the triumph of hope over experience. Is this for the best? Can an individual pass judgement on such things? I am humble enough, at least, to acknowledge that I do not have the answers to these questions.

A painful lesson, reflected in these Chronicles, is that evil is a choice of many around us, in our cities and towns, as they go about their daily business. Murder, oppression and fear are more often the result of a midnight knock at the door by men seeking to enforce their will on the helpless, than of the employment of dark magics. The worst is when both are combined, empowering the evil natures of people to go beyond their normal constraints. The mission of the Order to fight abominations wherever they appear is therefore a noble one, which addresses the most urgent of threats to life and order in Faerun.

Should we focus solely on this greater threat and ignore the more mundane ones that arise? For those outside the Order, of course this is not the case, for whatever threatens home and hearth must be fought against. I would make the argument that the Order should be careful in taking on too much, however, as then our primary mission would suffer from the distraction. Brother Veran's choices, as will be seen, furnish a tragic example of this. His actions are perhaps not in vain, but I cannot say that they served the best interests of the Order. Some may find this judgement harsh, yet our foes will be even harsher with us, should we not marshal our full strength against them.

Further candid commentary on individuals and their actions I shall reserve for the margins of this tome, to place things in closer context.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Here begins Part II of the Chronicles

To all those who read these chronicles: much is known, but still more is not known about the adventures and private dealings of those worthy people hereafter mentioned. One suspects that not everything that has occurred has been recorded for posterity.

Chapter V: Loose Ends and Endings

Dwarven Rewards

The morning of Hammer 17, 1373 DR, after a dream-filled night, the companions trickled into the Clan Ironhelm tavern hall for breakfast. Rahnee was noting the lack of tea when a messenger arrived, summoning them to the audience hall, where the clan’s Prince would be waiting for them. After the dwarf had left, Melissa asked the others what they had decided to do with Ashnakzeroth's gem. Brok-Tul, Rahnee, and Veran were noncommittal, while Aerikoth appeared lost in thought as they walked to the Prince’s audience chamber.

At the chamber entrance, a dwarven guard challenged them, then let them pass once they were identified as Helm's Shadows. At the end of a long hall, a dwarf garbed in finery awaited them, with guards and advisers in attendance. He introduced himself as Prince Dalgan, head of the great Clan Ironhelm. Rahnee acted as speaker for the group and formal introductions of the party were then made, Melissa being the last named.

Dalgan declared that Clan Ironhelm was ruthless with its enemies and generous with its friends, that day having cause to celebrate both aspects of its relations. He asked Toran Goldfinder, his merchant adviser, to bring sacks of gold for the party, and introduced Koll Wallbasher as his chief warrior. Toran soon returned and handed out large sacks to each of the companions, who expressed their thanks.

Dalgan then told them that because they had fought in the clan's name, he had special gifts for them, worthy of warriors. He asked each to step forward in turn, starting with Rahnee, and praising their deeds:

For Rahnee: "Your sword upheld the defense of the clan's name. Let this belt protect you as you wield it in the future." Her response: "Thank you, again. I shall wear it with pride."

For Brok-Tul: "I hear you bravely fought the undead horde of Ashnakzeroth, in the end victorious. Take this maul, crafted with the magic and care of our clan, and smash your foes with honor." His response: "My foes will fall as never before. My thanks, King of Dwarves." To which Dalgan replied, "I have no doubt of that." But then his face clouded for a moment as he corrected the half-orc, "Prince, Brok-Tul. For now."

For Veran: "The strength of your convictions is great, I have heard. You fell in battle, helping defeat our greatest foe. Let this gift lend you even greater strength of body, then, to match your spirit." His response: "One does one's duty, because one must. My thanks. It will be worn, with honor."

For Belle: "I understand your bow sang against our foe, though your enemies had defenses against your arrows. Take this arrow, then, and should any wizard arise who wishes to imitate our ancient foe, use it against them." Bowing her head, Belle said "I shall do so."

For Aerikoth: "I am told your magics did much to aid in the battle. We are often suspicious of magic-users - and for good reason, given our history. However, you have proven yourself a dwarf-friend. For this, I shall offer you a gift of protection from your enemies, when they seek to do you harm across the battlefield." Aerikoth accepted a belt from Dalgan and bowed, saying "Thank you your Highness."

Dalgan smiled, saying it was a great day for the clan and declaring himself pleased to share their joy with them in this manner. Rahnee replied that the dwarven reputation for generosity to friends was well-deserved.

Dalgan then asked Melissa to step forward. She moved forward hesitantly to stand in front of the group. The dwarven prince said, "You served our ancient enemy. For that, you deserve death...but we shall stay our hand this day, for the services you rendered our allies. Do not forget, however, that the clan always remembers its friends...and its foes." Melissa, who at first had blanched at the dwarf's words, managed a formal curtsy and stepped back to join the others.

The prince waved them all closer, saying that they had weighty matters to discuss. He said that he understood the abomination had not been fully destroyed; Brok-Tul in response brought forth the cold gem, Ashnakzeroth's phylactery. Dalgan indicated that he had spoken to Iskar, who judged that the clan did not have the resources to destroy it. Dalgan apologized for the clan not being able to aid further in the matter. Rahnee and Veran assured the prince that they could draw on other resources to complete their task. Dalgan asked them to send word once it was done, so that the clan could know of the final demise of their ancient foe.

Dalgan then switched topics, mentioning that his coronation as King was due to occur the following month. He explained that his father, King Tagnar, had died nearly a year ago, and that Iskar would determine the proper date for the coronation based on signs from the gods. Rahnee told Dalgan that his people were blessed to have a strong ruler waiting to lead them, which pleased the prince. He said that he would send word when the rites of succession would take place; as dwarf-friends, the companions would be welcome to attend. Rahnee and Brok-Tul expressed their thanks on the party's behalf.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
With the ceremony over, Dalgan encouraged them to take advantage of the clan's merchants and to enjoy the hospitality of the clan for as long as they desired. The party took their leave and was escorted to the Ironhelm smithy by Koll Wallbasher. Lorn Ironbeard, the clan’s head smith, was pleased to show off his selection of gear to the group, which spent some time selecting items. Koll then showed them to the temple and departed, citing clan duties.

At the temple, Iskar's acolyte saw to their purchases while Iskar healed Brok-Tul's wounds. The half-orc said they had resulted from his possession of Ashnakzeroth's gem, which gave him frostbite every morning. Brok-Tul and Rahnee had a private conversation in the temple, while the others, once done shopping, headed for the exit to the clan halls. Once they all had assembled at the exit, Clan Greeter Rumnaher appeared to wish them well on their journey.

Leaving the valley of Clan Ironhelm, the party fought the bitter cold of the mountains while they followed the path to the village of Mountaingate. After being challenged and then invited in by the village militia, they first stopped at Skye’s Provisions. In response to a question from Rahnee, Skye indicated that there were probably still a winter wolf or two around, but they had not bothered the village as of late.

At the village inn, its gnome proprietor Allie Grimblegort greeted them, having remembered most of the group from the previous visit. A few mercenary types hung out in the common room, but kept to themselves. Allie brewed up some hot tea and the others joined her in the kitchen, which was far warmer than the common room. After some cheery small talk, the companions paid Allie for her tea and departed the village.

After several hours, the party reached a crossroads at the Shining Plains trail. Despite Brok-Tul’s recollection of a more direct route to the northeast, they decided to follow the main trail north; neither Aerikoth nor Belle had been in the area before, so could offer no assistance. Eight hours later, in the middle of a rainstorm, the group found itself at the Traders Road crossroads. After some confusion as to where they were, they decided to camp for the night before continuing on. With help from Brok-Tul and Veran, Belle took the lead in helping construct a makeshift shelter. Belle and Rahnee took the first watch as the others bedded down as best they could. Rahnee woke Brok-Tul for the second watch, which lasted until dawn.

The groggy company staggered up and broke their fast, while debating the road ahead. Melissa pointed out the need to travel east in order to reach Turnton, as the group was still west of Teziir, although it took several tries to convince Brok-Tul. Breaking camp, the group hiked east along Traders Road, reaching the western outskirts of Teziir after six hours. Melissa looked longingly at the city buildings in the distance, wanting to stop and see some civilization, but the group decided to press on, arriving at the Reddansyr crossroads after another four hours.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Reddansyr: Trolls and a Well

After turning south towards Reddansyr, they were challenged at the town gates and then allowed to pass. They made their way to the Giant’s Folly inn, Veran commenting on how they had now come full circle, and were greeted inside by Ian Gryphonhawk, who asked how their expedition had went. They mentioned its success, Brok-Tul placing some manticore spikes on the counter for dramatic effect and informing Ian of their fight against the creatures. Belle also greeted Ian, who asked her how she had ended up with the others; she said it was a long story. After Ian checked on room availability, Rahnee arranged for the group to take the two available rooms upstairs, ladies in one and gentlemen in the other. Following some mulled wine and venison, the companions retired to their rooms for the night, with Brok-Tul also informing Ian that they had unfortunately not seen any sign of Ian’s son.

The morning of Hammer 20, the men and women of “Helm’s Shadows” rose from their respective beds. As usual, Veran headed outside to meditate, while the others ordered breakfast in the common room. Veran came back in, looking rather wet, although with a straight face he told Rahnee that it was not raining for once, saying he had actually fallen into a horse trough. The inn’s waitress Erinetta delivered their food - bacon and eggs; the companions dug in, except for Veran, who found the bacon too much to handle. (In my opinion, members of the Order should be able to stomach common inn food; let us not take asceticism to extremes. Or perhaps I just miss having bacon. --R)

As they were finishing their breakfast, a member of the Reddansyr militia entered the inn and went straight to Ian, saying that he had grave news. Scouts by the Reddan River bridge had spotted a band of trolls heading north; the trolls had stopped for the moment by the bridge, but could move towards the town at any time. Overhearing the conversation, the companions began discussing what they knew about trolls. Brok-Tul rose and looked pointedly at Ian, saying that he wanted to check out the problem. Ian was delighted at the prospect of Helm’s Shadows handling the troll situation, the town militia not being up to such a challenge. Melissa said she would stay in town while the others, after wolfing down the remainder of their food, agreed to join Brok-Tul in the “trolling” expedition. In return for taking on the trolls, Ian gladly agreed to provide them in the future with rooms and food, on the house.

As the companions gathered their gear, Rahnee queried if the trolls were north. Ian indicated that they were to the south, on the road to the river, which is the way the group had departed before. Ian noted with curiosity that the group had, however, arrived back in town from the north. Brok-Tul, making himself ready, told Ian that they would tell him the tale once they were finished.

Leaving the inn, the group made its way to the temple of Oghma, where the priests were able to sell them four flasks of alchemist’s fire to use against the trolls. Departing the temple, the group discussed tactics on the way to the town’s southern gate, which the militia unlocked for them. They then walked for three hours, arriving at the Reddan River bridge.

While Brok-Tul prayed to Helm for victory, Aerikoth cast stoneskin spells on the half-orc and Veran, to protect them in the front lines of battle. Brok-Tul first went to look for the trolls under the bridge, but then spotted a small group of them on the opposite riverbank. Aerikoth summoned a dire wolf to aid the group in melee. Soon, battle was joined with the first group of trolls, but the companions were soon surprised by several more trolls coming to aid their fellows. Belle was chased back to the bridge area by one troll and was assisted by Aerikoth. The mage tossed a fireball into the melee, which dealt serious damage to five of the trolls, although it also finished off his wounded summoned wolf. Rahnee singlehandedly fought three of the trolls, spinning and thrusting for all she was worth, keeping them at bay until Veran could join her and help finish them. Brok-Tul was able to account for the rest.

After the battle was over, Brok-Tul went to the manticore grave area to see if there were any more trolls, while Belle checked the muddy ground for tracks. Neither found anything of import, although Brok-Tul took the opportunity to stuff two foul-smelling troll heads into a sack as trophies. The group then headed back to Reddansyr, where the inhabitants reacted poorly to the odor wafting from Brok-Tul. Inside the inn, Ian congratulated the party on their success, barely managing to stand the stench of the burned troll flesh. Eventually, Brok-Tul was convinced that the heads would not be of any use, and he went outside to bury them and wash up. Meanwhile, the others enjoyed Ian’s hospitality and discussed how the battle had played out. Once Brok-Tul returned, smelling of soap, the group debated whether to continue on that day or rest in the inn. The battle having taken its toll on their energy, the group voted to stay another night in Reddansyr before pressing on to Turnton.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Hammer 21 dawned clear (for once). Rahnee, unable to sleep, got up at dawn and departed the inn. Brok-Tul was the last of the others to arrive for breakfast at the inn’s common room and was asked by Ian if Rahnee was upstairs. Brok-Tul answered in the negative, saying that she had headed out to stretch her legs and think. Ian commented that it was a long time to be out walking.

As the group was finishing their breakfast, a boy came up to Belle and delivered a note, saying a man had paid him a silver to deliver it. The boy then scurried off before Brok-Tul could ask him any further questions. Belle unfolded the note, looked at it for a moment, then handed it wordlessly to Brok-Tul, biting her lip. While the half-orc was looking at the note, Belle suggested to the others that they go upstairs to the suite, where Rahnee and Brok-Tul had stayed the night, for more privacy.

Veran joined the others after a short delay, telling them that he had asked Ian about the child messenger; the innkeeper did not know the boy’s name. Once the note was handed around for all to see, Brok-Tul asked Belle to explain, since it had been addressed to her. The note read: "Belle - We have your companion. You know what we want. Come to the old forest well, alone, and deliver it. We will have no need for the woman afterwards, you may have her then. -- X"

Belle said that she thought the “companion” was a reference to Rahnee and that they - whoever “they” were - must want Ashnakzeroth’s soul stone. She also speculated that the note had been delivered to her because she would know how to get to the well in the forest. Veran observed that Belle seemed to have a history in Reddansyr and that someone might want something specific from her, instead. (Brother Veran's observations are as keen as ever. --C). Brok-Tul and Aerikoth also commented it seemed strange that if “X” were after the soul gem, that person would reach out to Belle rather than one of the others. Belle said she could think of no reason why she specifically would be singled out. Melissa, in a scathing tone, pointed out that it was unlikely anyone in Reddansyr would even know of the gem, so it was much more likely someone interested in settling a score with Belle, and Rahnee had simply got in the way. Teeth clenched, Brok-Tul nodded his agreement and asked Belle who “X” was; Belle again denied knowing anything about it.

As the others began talking about possible tactics to use, Belle sighed heavily and mentioned that there had been a little problem in town, which was why she had to leave and had accepted the task to deliver items from the Oghma temple to Veran in the first place. She had tracked down someone named Jonas, who’d had a merchant’s guild reward on his head. Belle also mentioned that at one point she had cut the mane off of Old Tam’s prized horse - which subsequently made a decent-looking blonde wig - but that incident likely was not the cause of their current problem.

The party agreed that it would be best to accompany Belle to the well site, in order to see what they were up against; Melissa stayed at the inn as before, in case any more messages were delivered or Rahnee appeared. They prepared themselves and marched downstairs, heading for the inn exit. On the way out, Brok-Tul informed Ian that they were heading to the old well in the forest for a meeting, and to send the militia in four hours if they didn’t come back. Ian said that if they couldn’t handle whatever was there, he doubted the militia could do anything. Belle and Ian had a private exchange as well.

Carlo-One

Explorer
Supporter
Belle led the way east from the town, into the nearby forest. After a few hours, the party reached a wooded area close to where Belle said the well was located. She sneaked forward carefully, with Veran stealthily moving along close to her, circling around a stand of trees. From a distance, a bandit spotted her and opened fire, prompting Belle to return fire with her bow. However, her opponent was soon joined by a large band of comrades, who were able to cut Belle and Veran down before the others reached them. (Battle strategy is not a consistent strength of this group, it seems. --R). Despite their early success, the bandits were unable to deal with the remainder of the party and were cut down in turn by Brok-Tul’s hammer and Aerikoth’s magic.

Brok-Tul became enraged at not finding Rahnee and ran off into the woods, searching for any sign of her. Aerikoth meanwhile poured a healing potion down Veran’s throat, partially reviving him. Brok-Tul returned, his face ashen, and was directed by Aerikoth to assist Belle. After the two had been restored to partial health, Brok-Tul mentioned that he had found tracks leading south from the battle site, but could not determine who they belonged to. He had also found the well nearby, around the corner past a stand of trees.

The group stripped the bandit corpses of valuables as Veran closed the eyes of the dead and Brok-Tul said a short prayer to Helm. Belle asked Brok-Tul if he had checked down the well; the half-orc replied he had not, as the tracks he was following had taken him south and no one had answered when he had called. The group went over to the well and Brok-Tul lit a torch to help him see down into its black depths. He spotted a form wriggling at the bottom and immediately started to organize a rescue effort, eventually lowering Belle down on a rope with a torch. Belle called out to the others that it was Rahnee, but could do no more to assist. (I must commend the insight Belle had in thinking of the well, otherwise tragedy could have ensued. --C)

Coughing from the torch smoke, Belle was hauled back to the top of the well by Brok-Tul, who then tied the rope around himself so he could make the descent. An earlier prayer to Helm for strength was still active, so the half-orc had little trouble making his way down, picking up a bound and gagged Rahnee, then ascending to the top. He emerged from the well, one hand wrapped around Rahnee's limp waist, the other pulling himself up powerfully, with his legs propped against the side of the well. The others helped Rahnee to the ground as Brok-Tul hauled himself out.

As a semi-conscious Rahnee lay on the ground, Brok-Tul removed the last of the rope from around her, carefully bandaging her wounds and also applying healing magic where necessary. Belle was sprawled on the ground next to her, still gasping from the effort of helping haul her up from the well; meanwhile, Veran was keeping an eye out for any enemies who might seek to take advantage of their situation. Aerikoth commented that they should make haste to leave the area, a sentiment with which Veran and Brok-Tul agreed. The company gathered their gear and slowly headed northwest back towards Reddansyr, Rahnee limping along determinedly.

An hour later, they arrived back at the gates of Reddansyr. The guards were trying to stay warm and advised the group to do the same. Once back at the Giant's Folly, the group informed a relieved Ian Gryphonhawk and Melissa that they had successfully rescued Rahnee from the bandits. Rahnee then told the story of how she had been captured while on an early morning walk, evidently having been knocked unconscious after someone had used a sweet-smelling substance on her. Rahnee struggled to remember what had been said, recalling that two men had been talking and the the name "Jonas" had been mentioned before she had been thrown down the well. She had the impression that they had been looking for something.

Ian told them that Jonas was in the Westgate prison, so Rahnee's captors must have been acquaintances. Rahnee, still struggling to recall details, said that she had been referred to as a lure for Belle. Ian said that it sounded like the bandits had wanted something from Belle, with Rahnee representing an opportunity for them. Rahnee then remembered a gem being mentioned; Ian commented that the Thyssian Gem had been an obsession for Jonas.

Rahnee, looking thoughtful, said that one of the men had mentioned that since his brother Jonas did not have the gem, Belle must have it, or know where it is. Belle held up her hands and denied knowing about the gem, saying that she would have turned it in for a reward if she had run across it. Ian said that the gem was rumored to be worth tens of thousands of gold pieces, motivation enough for the bandits.

After some discussion of the bandit threat, which all agreed had been dealt with for the time being, Ian went to take care of inn business while the others discussed their next steps. Melissa said she was quite ready to leave the village and the others agreed it was time to move on. Following their farewells to Ian, the group marched out of the inn and headed north out of the village, snow falling around them.

Remove ads