The Whip: experiences and advice?

Orcus Porkus

First Post
The whip is a flail. Look out for powers and feats that work with this group.
Also, spear and flail has some synergies, with dual strike.
For powers, "rain of blows" works with flails and therefore is the best encounter power you will ever get.
Pick all powers you can get the knock prone, it synergizes with the feats and items below. If you add a shield, perhaps an enchanted spiked shield, you can use powers like shield push and do some cool pushing, proning and sliding.
Sorry, I have no play experience, but I looked into it once.

The feat:
Dragging Flail

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Dex 15, fighter
Benefit: Whenever you use a flail to knock an enemy prone, you can also slide that enemy 1 square.

might create some cool action if you find a way to knock enemies prone with the whip.

Interesting magic weapons are:
Staggering Weapon

When you hit with this weapon, you send your foes lurching headlong whichever way you wish.
Level: 2
Price: 520 gp
Weapon: Axe, Flail, Hammer, Heavy Blade, Mace
Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage, and the target is knocked prone
Property: When you use a power with the weapon keyword that slides a target, you can add this weapon’s enhancement bonus to the number of squares the target slides.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with the weapon. Slide the target a number of squares equal to the weapon’s enhancement bonus.

Relentless Weapon

The weapon thrums in your hands, as if eager to see battle.
Level: 2
Price: 520 gp
Weapon: Flail, Hammer, Mace
Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage
Property: Whenever you score a critical hit with this weapon, the target is also knocked prone.

Last edited:

twilsemail

First Post
Orkus: I’ll have to eye up both the gladiator feats that tie to at-wills and Rain of Blows.

Dragging Flail seems like it was made for a whip user.

Along with the weapons you’ve named I’m also eyeing the Quick Weapon. It seems that adding that penalty to several enemies is worthwhile, though a daily to make an MBA seems a bit wasted.

Avalon: Whip and Dhampyr would probably work fantastically together. While it doesn’t work for the concept I’ve got now, I may keep it in mind for a future Delve character. Tempest whip fighter with Dhampyr on his sheet doesn’t seem like a horrible idea...

Markn: I kinda feel required to wear leather armor now...

-Avalon-

First Post
:lol::lol: Hahaha. Looking at the thread title kind of makes one think that this was posted on the wrong kind of website.

Experience and Advice: Keep a good first aid kit and bandages nearby in case someone gets a lil too into the whip usage?

Oh, make sure they have a good heal skill also...

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Just to post the relevant information to the above statements. But as has been stated the GM can rule/overrule whatever they like. But the rules are presented the way they are for a reason, not just to be random.

Dragon#368 p.66 said:
To gain such specialized proficiency in one of these weapons, you must select the relevant weapon mastery feat (see below). The feat grants not only proficiency, but also a special benefit. Moreover, it grants access to power-swap feats that provide those aforementioned exotic maneuvers and tactics. These exploits allow you to add more control to your array of martial attacks.
Since the weapon mastery training feats require a great deal of focused training, each one is a multiclass feat. Normal rules for selecting multiclass feats apply.

Dragon#368 p.67 said:
Whip Training [Multiclass]
Prerequisites: Dex 13, any martial class

Benefit: You gain proficiency with the whip.
When you hit a target with your whip, that target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls against a target of your choice until the end of your next turn.

twilsemail

First Post
Just to post the relevant information to the above statements. But as has been stated the GM can rule/overrule whatever they like. But the rules are presented the way they are for a reason, not just to be random.

For the sake of information gathering let's just say I'm playing a fighter who's taking the whip

I've read the rules. My DM has read the rules. The two of us feel that it's plain as day what the rules mean. You apparently feel differently. That's swell. I redirected the conversation to keep it on the topic I was looking for. Info on the whip, as presented in Dragon 368 and people's experiences with it.

If this thread has taught me anything it's that presenting minimal infomation leads to a happier experience on ENworld.

Please stick to the topic at hand, whips and their use by a fighter. If you wish to continue discussing the ability of a player to take multiclass feats that aren't class specific along with multiclass feats that are class specific, please split from the thread and discuss it there.

Edit: Apologies if this came off as rude. This thread has sidetracked away from the conversation I was looking to have twice now. I understand when having discussions on the internet that is the nature of the beast. I will, however do my best to keep them on track. Thank you for contributing your viewpoint to the discussion, Mith. I would appreciate it if the topic could be kept close to it's intent though.

Last edited:

Remove ads