The Whip: experiences and advice?

twilsemail

First Post
I'm starting up a new PC in an ongoing game at my FLGS. I'm pretty determined to play a Warden and have negotiated with the DM so I can play what we know about the Goliath. At the moment I'm eying up the whip. Does anyone have any experience with the weapon? Is there any advice out there about it?

I'm planning on focusing on the Defender aspect of Warden thus far(as opposed to contriller and striker). Our party, as of now, consists of a Wizard, an Artificer, a Rogue and a Barbarian. We just found out our Swordmage player has to stop attending for now which is one of the reasons my Elven Ranger (beast - Raptor - ranged focused) got shelved.

(note on Feat: Whip Training - I'm taking Battle Awareness as my first feat and the Whip Training feat as my second.)

A whip offers good control (reach) with the right powers and makes sure your attacks hit (+3 prof). Damagewise 1d4 is nothing to keep an enemy interessted in you.

And if you go:
LVL1: Feat: Battle Awareness
LVL2: Feat: Whip Training,
you won't get the +3 prof to hit at lvl1.

I have no idea what Goliaths might get. And I have no experience with the whip but that's what numbers tell me alone.

twilsemail

First Post
The game is already at a point where I have my level 2 feat, otherwise I wouldn't be picking up the weapon yet. The minus 2 seems great, especially with Thunder Ram Assault, which can have up to 10 targets. I'm actually partially hoping that enemies will attack my allies. Granting them a total of -4 to attack is a nice bonus.

We caught a glimpse of the Goliath from DDXP. +2Str, +2 Con. +2 End +2 Ath. Reroll failed climb/jump checks once. Encounter power: Resist All until end of next turn.

jedrious

First Post
I'm starting up a new PC in an ongoing game at my FLGS. I'm pretty determined to play a Warden and have negotiated with the DM so I can play what we know about the Goliath. At the moment I'm eying up the whip. Does anyone have any experience with the weapon? Is there any advice out there about it?

I'm planning on focusing on the Defender aspect of Warden thus far(as opposed to contriller and striker). Our party, as of now, consists of a Wizard, an Artificer, a Rogue and a Barbarian. We just found out our Swordmage player has to stop attending for now which is one of the reasons my Elven Ranger (beast - Raptor - ranged focused) got shelved.

(note on Feat: Whip Training - I'm taking Battle Awareness as my first feat and the Whip Training feat as my second.)
Also note that Whip Training requires you to be of a Martial Class, which the Warden is not, and takes up your multiclassing slot, so no multiclassing into a martial class to obtain the Martial power source to qualify

yesnomu

First Post
Also note that Whip Training requires you to be of a Martial Class, which the Warden is not, and takes up your multiclassing slot, so no multiclassing into a martial class to obtain the Martial power source to qualify
I'd talk with your GM, though. He might allow it anyway if you don't swap powers and/or lose the -2 (although that's really the best part).

If all else fails, there's always the spiked chain...

Why are we talking about prof. issueys here?
Take weapon prof. (whip) (the PHB feat) and you're good to go.

Your MC slot is free and you can do what you want with it.

twilsemail

First Post

PHB p. 208 said:
There are two restrictions on your choice of a class-specific multiclass feat. [...] Second, once you take a multiclass feat, you can't take a class specific feat for a different class.

I'm under the impression that the Whip is not a class. Until someone presents me or my Dm with an arguement to the contrary, he's allowing me to take the Fighter MC feat (Battle Awareness) and the Whip Training feat.

Why are we talking about prof. issueys here?
Take weapon prof. (whip) (the PHB feat) and you're good to go.

Your MC slot is free and you can do what you want with it.

It's being discussed mostly because there's a feature of the Whip that's only available with the Whip Training feat. IMO that's the reason the Whip has appeal to a Defender in the first place.

Dragon368 said:
Since the weapon mastery training feats require a
great deal of focused training, each one is a multiclass
feat. Normal rules for selecting multiclass feats apply.

So if you can multiclass freely, lets say you're a warden and take a Fighter MC feat and then are allowed to take Whip Training, what meaning has that very last sentence I quoted?

twilsemail

First Post
Not a clue. But if there were no reason for saying "Class specific" then it wouldn't be there. Again, until you tell me how the Whip is a class, I affirm that you can Multiclass into Fighter as a Warden and then take the Whip Training feat.

Edit: I'd say that applies to the rules on the Power Swap feats, as they aren't specified anywhere else in the article.

Last edited:

twilsemail

First Post
For the sake of information gathering let's just say I'm playing a fighter who's taking the whip (as that's pretty much the case and discussing wether or not my DM was right about the MC thing wasn't the purpose of this thread, thus the title).

Does anyone have any experience with the Whip in their game. Are there any critiques you have of it, any fun experiences or ideas?

Remove ads