• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Wizards Manor

Jaywannabe

First Post
this is my first adventure and first time being a dm i only started playing dnd 4e 2 weeks ago and have enjoyed it quite a bit. please tell me whether or not this would be a good idea for campain my friends and i are starting our characters are lvl with basic armor

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium, sans-serif]The wizards manor[/FONT]​

Quest

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Rumors around town is there is an abandoned wizards manor several days away by wagon. You and your comrades visit the wizards academy in Fallcrest. The wizards guild master Ethroth is very eager to meet your company.[/FONT]
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]When you enter Ethroth’s room you see several hundred books all worn down and used many times. In the center of the room is a orb with a dim blue light coming out of it. There is a desk covered with papers with many topics and a small couch in the corner with a blanket and pillow. Ethroth walks towards his desk and begins digging around for a small key that looks ancient. Ethroth turns towards you and hands you the key and with a deep voice you hear him say, “Here is the key to the manor but I need to tell you the story of the manor before you further your quest.” Ethroth then leads you to the blue glowing orb in the center room. He begins telling the story of the tower:[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]The orb shows several hundred years ago of a gnome working hard in his office. He was the head of the guild and his wife and son died the year before the fall of the guild. They died of a sickness with a rare cure. In failed attempts to find or create a cure he stumbled across a book that could summon the dead in his last efforts for his wife and only son. He began the ritual with a very low success rate nearly sacrificing himself and loosing his memories. After being unconscious and coming to a few days later he found himself in the room of thee manor with undead roaming the halls. He attempted to leave the tower but the outside gate would not let him pass but his undead could pass at will. after realizing that he would never be able to leave he sent the undead to do his bidding. After several years of being trapped there and reading almost everything he found the one book he hasn’t read. It was the book that he tried to resurrect his wife and son with and all of his memories came rushing back and with that began the rage towards all living.[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]The orb goes back to the glowing blue and you and your canpainions all stare at one another blown away by the story told within the ball. Bafled by the path you've choosen you begin to make preperations for the quest ahead making sure you have the appropiot equipment and supplies youll need for your encounters[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Day of Departure[/FONT]
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]The morning you leave, you meet your companions at the main gate leaving fallcrest towards the manor. Seeing that they've all arrived at the same time with a wagon for a slightly more comfortable departure. All four of they adventures look through the gate ready for the road ahead.[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Encounter 1[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]after traveling 6days with no interuptions you've seen it as a good sign just when your about to say that outlout the wagon stopped to a hault. You and your compainions jump out of the wagon ready and willing for whatever is out there.[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]After getting out of the wagon you look around you and see that here are 5 bugbear warriors around your whole group. There is a fork in the rode and the driver is inside the wagon protecting our goods.[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Monster encounter 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]5 bugbear warriors page 135[/FONT]
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]reward for encounter is 1000xp and 50gp[/FONT]
once they hit 20 hp they run into the distance
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif]Bugbear Warrior Level 5 Brute[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Medium natural humanoid XP 200[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Initiative [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]+5 [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Senses [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Perception +4; low-light vision[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]HP [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]76; [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Bloodied [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]38[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]AC [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]18; [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Fortitude [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]17, [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Refl ex [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]15, [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Will [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]14[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Speed [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]6[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif]m [FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Morningstar [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](standard; at-will) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Weapon[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]+7 vs. AC; 1d12 + 6 damage.[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif]M [FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Skullthumper [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](standard; encounter) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Weapon[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Requires morningstar and combat advantage; +5 vs. Fortitude;[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]1d12 + 6 damage, and the target is knocked prone and dazed[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](save ends).[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Predatory Eye [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](minor; encounter)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]The bugbear warrior deals an extra 1d6 damage on the next[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]attack it makes with combat advantage. It must apply this bonus[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]before the end of its next turn.[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Alignment [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Evil [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Languages [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Common, Goblin[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Skills [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Intimidate +9, Stealth +11[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Str [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]20 (+7) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Dex [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]16 (+5) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Wis [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]14 (+4)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Con [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]16 (+5) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Int [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]10 (+2) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Cha [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]10 (+2)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Equipment [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]hide armor, morningstar[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](cont story)[/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]after all the excitement you and your comrades jump into the wagon boasting about the encounter.[/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]1 day later[/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]when you reach the forest before the the beginning of the manor you get out of the wagon and the four of you walk from there for a better advantage if attacked. Once reaching the beginning of the manor you use the key on the lock and the gate moves with very little effort. When you enter the courtyard there is a well in the center with a door going east and west it is up to you four to decide.[/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]If they choose the east door they enter into a room with a single conspicuous bookshelf the can decide whether to check it out or not. There is a door going further east with a door going north that has 6 beds and chest in the corner they may roll for a check and if failed the chest explodes with no further attempts. If it is 15 or higher it is a success and the player gets 3000 gp to share or to keep to themselves their decision.[/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]If they choose tho check out the book shelf and find that it is a secret door leading to the gnomes chamber go to after encounter 4[/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]if they decide to take the west door there will be a room with a very high ceiling when we walk in to the room we'll hear wings fluttering above and 4 rotwing zombies will drop down [/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]encounter 2[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]rewards is 700xp and 20gp[/FONT]​

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]rotwing zombies[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Medium natural animate (undead) XP 175[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Initiative [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]+6 [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Senses [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Perception +2; darkvision[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]HP [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]54; [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Bloodied [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]27; see also [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Italic, sans-serif]zombie weakness[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]AC [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]17; [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Fortitude [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]16, [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Refl ex [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]16, [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Will [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]14[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Immune [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]disease, poison; [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Resist [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]10 necrotic; [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Vulnerable [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]5 radiant[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Speed [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]4, fl y 4 (clumsy)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif]m[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Slam [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](standard; at-will)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]+9 vs. AC; 1d8 + 2 damage.[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Flying Charge[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]When fl ying, the rotwing zombie deals an extra 2d6 damage on a[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]successful charge attack.[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Zombie Weakness[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Any critical hit to the rotwing zombie reduces it to 0 hit points[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]instantly.[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Alignment [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Unaligned [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Languages [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Str [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]14 (+4) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Dex [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]14 (+4) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Wis [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]10 (+2)[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Black, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Con [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]14 (+4) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Int [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]1 (–3) [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Cha [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]3 (–2)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]once you defeat the 4 rotwing zombies the head into the hall that the has 2 lvl 6 chillborn zombies [/FONT]

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]encounter 3[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]rewards 500xp and 50gp[/FONT]

[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Initiative [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]+5 [/FONT]Senses [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Perception +3; darkvision[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Chillborn Aura (Cold) [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]aura 2; any creature that enters or begins its[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]turn in the aura takes 5 cold damage. Multiple chillborn auras[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]deal cumulative damage.[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]HP [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]71; [/FONT]Bloodied [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]35; see also [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Italic, sans-serif]death burst[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]AC [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]22; [/FONT]Fortitude [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]20, [/FONT]Refl ex [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]16, [/FONT]Will [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]16[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Immune [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]disease, poison; [/FONT]Resist [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]10 cold, 10 necrotic; [/FONT]Vulnerable [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]fi re, 5 radiant[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Speed [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]4[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]mSlam [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](standard; at-will) [/FONT]Cold[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]+11 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage, and the target is immobilized until[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]the end of the chillborn zombie’s next turn and takes ongoing 5[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]cold damage (save ends); see also [/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd-Italic, sans-serif]ice reaper[/FONT][FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif].[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]C Death Burst [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif](when reduced to 0 hit points) [/FONT]Cold[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]The chillborn zombie explodes. Close burst 1; +9 vs. Fortitude;[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]2d6 + 2 cold damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Ice Reaper Cold[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]The chillborn zombie deals an extra 5 cold damage to an[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]immobilized creature.[/FONT]
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Alignment [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]Unaligned [/FONT]Languages [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=MentorSansStd-Bold, sans-serif]Str [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]19 (+7) [/FONT]Dex [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]10 (+3) [/FONT]Wis [FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]10 (+3)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=MentorSansStd, sans-serif]when your company enters the gnomes room he stares at you blankly before realizing what has happened. After several seconds of staring he greets you with glee announcing his name as Isaac. Isaac” well hello hello and welcome this is a surprise now isn’t it. I’m sorry if you expected me to attack you a couple hundred years ago I would've but not now I'm just happy to talk to someone that isn’t dead haha.”he says with much excitement on his face.”may I ask what business you have with the manor?”we tell him why we came to the manor and why it is that we want the manor to begin our guild and adventure across the land. After many seconds of “oh I see, I see” he begins with “well I would have no problem leaving if what I heard from my undead isn’t true about how the world has changed. But if you would like I would be more than willing to give you the manor if I myself may stay as well as long as you wouldn’t mind getting me some more up to date books.”he says with a smile. And with that the adventure ends but the story is just beginning. [/FONT]

Stormonu

Legend
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]The orb shows several hundred years ago of a gnome working hard in his office. He was the head of the guild and his wife and son died the year before the fall of the guild. They died of a sickness with a rare cure. In failed attempts to find or create a cure he stumbled across a book that could summon the dead in his last efforts for his wife and only son. He began the ritual with a very low success rate nearly sacrificing himself and loosing his memories. After being unconscious and coming to a few days later he found himself in the room of thee manor with undead roaming the halls. He attempted to leave the tower but the outside gate would not let him pass but his undead could pass at will. after realizing that he would never be able to leave he sent the undead to do his bidding. After several years of being trapped there and reading almost everything he found the one book he hasn’t read. It was the book that he tried to resurrect his wife and son with and all of his memories came rushing back and with that began the rage towards all living.[/FONT]

er...minor nitpick. If the wizard couldn't leave the manor, how'd his story of what happened to him get out?

Also, as to the adventure, is there anything to prevent the PCs from attempting to enter the manor through a window (or shimmeying down a chimney)? Is there a back door (many houses have more than one entrance)?

Jaywannabe

First Post
thank you for the suggestions the way i made the map is there is a court yard with a gate to enter the area with a lock and key on the gate. that is also how his undead did his bidding getting food and what ever they could find for him. also the manor was the previous wizards guild and after the inccident the guild to our version of fallcrest

Last edited:

ffy

First Post
i dont understand very clearly, do all encounters consist of only one type of enemy? while an encounter with one type of monster might be interesting enough, i feel that using multiple different monsters that compliment each other is a good way to make the encounters (and adventure) more fun and compelling.

Jaywannabe

First Post
ya for this story i decided to use only one type of monster for encounter bc it is our first part of the story the next adventure we have set up has alot more variety this is just to setup our campain

Remove ads