"Theater of the Mind" or Map and Minis?

How is combat represented in your games?

• Theater of the Mind

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Grid Map

Votes: 66 45.2%
  • Hex Map

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 29 19.9%

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
ToM & online images, hastily cobbled together maps in MS Pain, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

We exclusively game online these days, via Discord. All our game texts are digital.

Occasionally, a player will roll their own dice in real life, for the fun.

Vymair

First Post
For D&D, we use the Grid and have since 3e. We have tac-tiles which have proved a great boon to us. Sadly, I don't think they are in production anymore. There are some other systems we played theatre of the mind.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
We've recently adopted the Roshambo approach to TotM combat and it's working well for us. The players are no long fretting about exactly how far away they are from certain things - they're either far, near or engaged and things flow quite smoothly.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I hastily sketch things out on a whiteboard, but I got a Pico Projector to project grid maps down on the whiteboard to try and save myself time, and my table from looking at my terrible sketches.

Haven't tried it out yet though.

Tony Vargas

Legend
We've recently adopted the Roshambo approach to TotM combat and it's working well for us. The players are no long fretting about exactly how far away they are from certain things - they're either far, near or engaged and things flow quite smoothly.
That sounds like how 13th Age handles it (but 'close' instead of 'near'), along with AEs affecting a random number of enemies at either close or far, instead of having to plot out AEs.
What it has to do with rock-paper-scissors, though, I've no idea... ;)

Harzel

Adventurer
Both. Depends on the situation, size of the encounter, how important/tactical it is, whether the terrain is important, all sorts of things. Basically I use the best tool for the job at hand.

Sorry, this is a bit unclear to me. Could you briefly sketch a combat encounter in which terrain is not important? Or describe a general set of characteristics that render the terrain unimportant?

Satyrn

First Post
Sorry, this is a bit unclear to me. Could you briefly sketch a combat encounter in which terrain is not important? Or describe a general set of characteristics that render the terrain unimportant?
I can list several.

Everyone's flying high above the ground.

It's an empty 10 foot square room.

Saskatchewan (Did I ever tell you 'bout the time the orc ran away? It took three days)

Last edited:

flametitan

Explorer
I prefer TotM, but my players prefer minis.

I find TotM is better for my immersion, though the odd scenery picture is super useful. The bird's eye view of the map makes it hard for me to accept that the map isn't a fixed location, but that its contents are malleable.

Remove ads