D&D 5E Theatre of the Mind or Miniatures?

For the majority of combats in D&D 5E, I...

• play with Miniatures

Votes: 261 52.9%
  • use the Theatre of the Mind (no minis)

Votes: 186 37.7%
  • don't play D&D 5E.

Votes: 46 9.3%

Lancelot

Adventurer
I'd have appreciated a "both" answer as well.

I honestly can't tell which is the majority for me. Probably minis, so I'll go with that option. But that shouldn't take away from the fact that my TotM usage has increased enormously. I can't recall a D&D 4e combat that played out in TotM, and it was rare that we wouldn't use minis even back in the 3e days.

So, answering "minis" seems to be a bit of a cheat to me. It doesn't reflect the huge impact that 5e has made on my groups' growing enjoyment of TotM for the non-climactic or non-complex encounters.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I particularly like how you've glued all the minis down to stop them sliding off the shelves! ;)

That's an impressive collection. I wish I had the space to properly store my minis; at present they're a little jumbled. (Which is not a good thing when you're talking about 2,000+ minis)

Cheers!
Some of the boxes, like Dwarf NPCs, are jam-packed. Some, like my Dwarf PCs, are just 1 or 2 to a compartment.
image.jpgimage.jpg

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'd have appreciated a "both" answer as well.

I honestly can't tell which is the majority for me. Probably minis, so I'll go with that option. But that shouldn't take away from the fact that my TotM usage has increased enormously. I can't recall a D&D 4e combat that played out in TotM, and it was rare that we wouldn't use minis even back in the 3e days.

So, answering "minis" seems to be a bit of a cheat to me. It doesn't reflect the huge impact that 5e has made on my groups' growing enjoyment of TotM for the non-climactic or non-complex encounters.

Which is why your actual post is so much more important! :) The poll is just a starting point.

That said, I really did consider a "both" option on the poll... the trouble is that it is entirely too easy an answer. By forcing the binary option, you get people to actually think about their use of miniatures at the table. Answers like yours and Henry's which illustrate how your play of the game is changing are fantastically interesting, and are the sort of thing I want to hear.

Likewise, learning about Thalmin's miniature collection and the playstyles of other board members is really great!

Cheers!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Learning about Curt's mini collection does nothing but fill me with envy. ;)

Not to mention the fact that last time I was in Chicago on business I picked the one day to visit his store that he was out! :)

(side note to anyone up in Chicago: DAMN, but Games Plus is an awesome store!)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
When I DM, I always use minis. But I'm playing with a DM who usually doesn't use them.

The lack has made our battle inconsistent. More than once, a monster that was "on the edge of the forest" has been able to rush close enough to engage in melee, even though the forest was "about a hundred feet away" immediately prior to combat.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
When I DM, I always use minis. But I'm playing with a DM who usually doesn't use them.

The lack has made our battle inconsistent. More than once, a monster that was "on the edge of the forest" has been able to rush close enough to engage in melee, even though the forest was "about a hundred feet away" immediately prior to combat.

Inconsistent DMing is a problem. My own technique for running miniless combats involves writing down the relative range of the monsters and the PCs (so 100 feet apart) and then modifying as the PCs or monsters move. I also assume the players are making the best tactical movements (behind cover, etc.) without needing constant reminding.

But when the DM just uses the lack of minis to punish the players? Yeah, not so fond of that.

Cheers!

S

Sunseeker

This has unfortunately been my experience with tables that emphasize ToTM, while it may be an improper use, it seems like ToTM is often used to ignore the actual technical limitations of creatures and abilities.

ToTM shouldn't be an excuse to excise tactical play from the game.

Yaarel

He Mage
Something in between mind and minis, is ‘sketches’.

I tend to sketch out initial locale, if positioning needs to be clearer.

Similarly, one of the players tends to be the designated mapper to keep track of where they have explored.

Gilladian

Adventurer
We have, as I said, 7 pcs. They recently claimed an old ruined castle just outside the boundaries of the current kingdom, and are now claiming to be the rulers of the region around it(one PC has taken the title of Baron). They've hired a stonemason and workers, plus a number of guards. Two of those guards (Roger and Ben, I think) have accompanied them on one adventure (just before the PCs multiplied from 4 to 6 - a week later it went up to 7). The wizard PC who is claiming the title of Baron is their actual employer; I let that player run the guards, but I retain the right to voice their opinions, and to refuse to do anything they feel is too dangerous. The cleric of the party has just "sent for an acolyte" from his home temple. The PC background is that he is a "retired high priest" who is "going exploring for lost religious texts" (I let him get away with this because he came into the game at 5th level). He doesn't quite realize it, but I believe that he was "retired" by his temple because he was just a little too heretical for them, and the "acolyte" they will be sending has orders to ensure that any lost religious matter that he finds doesn't fall into the hands of anyone who would misuse it. Again, I will let the cleric's player run the acolyte when he arrives, but I will retain the right to speak and act for him as needed. IF I decide to have the acolyte have any special, hidden abilities, I will keep a separate character sheet for him in my notes for future reference.

Remove ads