D&D General There are no "Editions" of D&D

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I agree to an extent that the rules should be updated based on feedback, but I also can't help shake the feeling that the goal posts for what constitutes an "evergreen edition" keeps getting shifted to preserve the idea that WotC has held onto the idea that 5e is an evergreen edition rather than One D&D being a new edition.
I don’t especially care about the whole evergreen edition thing, frankly. IMO the proposed changes just don’t qualify as a new game.
It's not a "new option." If you take an existing 5e background, you must use a conversion document to do so, which includes a list of feats to pick from.
No, you don’t. You can just play the 2014 background. You will have 1 less feat than you could have, but it’s not like the game will somehow not work for you.

Also, both are 5e backgrounds.
It is a conversion. It may be a small one. But a small amount of paint is not no paint.

And thus far, it is not just the feat. If you play a level 5 Bard, you have to convert your character. If you play almost any kind of Ranger, you have to convert your character.
No, you don’t. You literally can just play a 2014 version. You can even play a character that is partly one and partly the other.
It isn't a huge change...BUT NEITHER WAS 3.5e. A converted Wizard was nearly identical, for example, while a Ranger was somewhat different, as was a Druid. This isn't complex. There's a small but meaningful conversion process, which puts this at approximately the level of gap between 3.5e and 3.0. Most people saw that as a significant design break—enough to get upset about it. Why should a clear 5.5e get a pass simply because WotC is doing damage control this time?
It isn’t getting a pass. My initial reaction to the announcement was anger, because what I saw an article and took it at face value. Then I watched the announcement and explanation videos, and chilled out.

When the first UA came out, and then the second, and I have seen no reason to revert to that initial reaction. 🤷‍♂️

Especially when we haven’t even seen revised second passes of these ideas yet, much less the final version.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases