D&D 5E There Will Be No More Hydro74 Alternate D&D Covers

Hydro74 has confirmed that Vecna: Eve of Ruin was their final alternate cover for D&D.

For the past 10 years, there have been alternative covers for the Dungeons & Dragons hardcovers available at local game stores. These covers were usually designed by artist Joshua M. Smith, aka Hydro74.

Hydro74 has confirmed that Vecna: Eve of Ruin was their final alternate cover for D&D.

Just got my copy of Vecna, Eve of Ruin from D&D in. The Gold & Silver really are fantastic. Sadly [Wizards of the Coast] said this was my last book since they are changing direction, which is disappointing but freelance life! Was a fun ride!

GRaxoWJWEAAx-qh.jpeg

Photo by Hydro74
Here's a look at just some of Hydo74's alternate covers over the years.

1.jpeg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.webp
6.jpg

7.jpeg
8.jpg

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I just find the idea that D&D didn't used to be cutesy too bemusing.
That's because you are inserting some sort of absolutism that doesn't exist. I never said there was never any cutesy elements at all. You made that up in your head to support some argument only you are having. I simply expressed an opinion about the more recent trends in the art direction of D&D (and Pathfinder, btw, but that's neither here nor there). I don't know what to tell you.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
That's because you are inserting some sort of absolutism that doesn't exist. I never said there was never any cutesy elements at all. You made that up in your head to support some argument only you are having. I simply expressed an opinion about the more recent trends in the art direction of D&D (and Pathfinder, btw, but that's neither here nor there). I don't know what to tell you.
The trend is a continuation of the past several decades, a variety of art pieces of various tones and styles...? Some cute and whimsical, some kewl and metal (both can be seen in the current art previews for the core books). Same as it ever was, just with a better budget now.

Jharet

Explorer
The Vecna design is really nice. It's the only alt cover I ever purchased, but I like the iconic image of the Hand of Vecna on the cover. Nice way to go out.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads