D&D 5E Thief Archetype Fast Hand uses

ManBagel

Messing up everything in DnD since 2019
So I plan on playing a thief and I would like to know what is on the shopping list for the Fast Hands ability. Healer Feat+Fast Hands sounds nice, but I need to know what is considered using an object. If it’s no problem, please list items.
Current List:
Healers Kit
Caltrops
Ball Bearings

Hi,
fast hands is an underrated ability:
  • drawing a healing potion
  • drawing a second weapon (even if you can´t immediately use it as an offhand weapon, you can still maintane a rate of fire with a a dagger of 3 per two turns, and as a multiclass with extra attack you can throw 2 weapons per round.
  • open a door and draw a weapon and still move and attack.

ok, so for your list:
shuriken/darts, a lot of them.

Olrox17

Hero
Acid, alchemist's fire, holy water, hunting traps, oil, lighting something flammable with a tinderbox.

I don't believe darts would work. They're weapons, you use the Attack action with them, not Use an Object.

Iry

Hero
Untie their shoelace, mess with their armor straps, take something out of their pockets, put something in their pockets, put dark glasses on their head, take weapons out of their bandolier, take their potions or scrolls, etc.

Combat sleight of hand is hilarious.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Self care is important too. Perhaps you need a little lotion on those chapped hands mid-combat? No problem. Sexy-shaggy hair all tangled from the wind? Fast Hands has you covered. Did your Cloak of Billowing get wrapped around the scabbard of your Rapier of Wit +3? Fast Hands is there.

Fast Hands, what every adventurer needs to keep their look going through a hard adventuring day. Available at fine retailers near you.

jgsugden

Legend
Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, use your thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action.

Sleight of Hand

Whenever you attempt an act of legerdemain or manual trickery, such as planting something on someone else or concealing an object on your person, make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check. The DM might also call for a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check to determine whether you can lift a coin purse off another person or slip something out of another person's pocket.

Use an Object

You normally interact with an object while doing something else, such as when you draw a sword as part of an attack. When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action. This action is also useful when you want to interact with more than one object on your turn.

IMPROVISING AN ACTION
Your character can do things not covered by the actions in this chapter, such as breaking down doors, intimidating enemies, sensing weaknesses in magical defenses, or calling for a parley with a foe. The only limits to the actions you can attempt are your imagination and your character’s ability scores. See the descriptions of the ability scores in chapter 7 for inspiration as you improvise.
When you describe an action not detailed elsewhere in the rules, the DM tells you whether that action is possible and what kind of roll you need to make, if any, to determine success or failure.

Sleight of Hand has been used in adventures and other books to:
  • Tie knots
  • Disarm simple traps that do not require tools (pulling wires for example)
  • Lifting/switching objects like Indy does with the idol at the star of Raiders
For use an object, I use it for anything that takes more than a half second (and less than 6) for me to do, personally. That is my rule of thumb. Note that with this ability, the rogue might be doing three things within 6 seconds in addition to moving. For example - move 20' across a room, open the door, move inside to the dresser 10' away, open a drawer and pull out a large object. That doesn't sound like much - until you try it yourself. Additionally, this allows you to do things like open a door, throw a dagger, then shut the door.

aco175

Legend
I find it is mostly used to open or close doors and lock or unlock doors. It is basically in-combat stuff like being able to attack, move to the chest and either hide or try to unlock it.

Iry

Hero
Self care is important too. Perhaps you need a little lotion on those chapped hands mid-combat? No problem. Sexy-shaggy hair all tangled from the wind? Fast Hands has you covered.
This is amazing, and now I need to make my players encounter a Thief NPC that constantly uses Fast Hands to Zap Brannigan all over the place.

If you end up getting some fancy goodies like Wall Staples (someone please get that reference) you could probably get some use out of those. And don't forget about the fact you get Use Magic Device at later levels, which could be fun.

Be the guy with the fancy tools.

Remove ads