Thiefling names

SSquirrel

Explorer
Like a lot of descriptive words, it's a poorly chosen one. Emo is short for emotional, which isnt' that what music is suppsoed to be? Considering the bands who are usually pointed at as originators of the style are bands liek Rites of Spring and date back to 1985 or 86, teh current Emo scene is really pathetic and the name means even less now than then. You can find a vid on youtube of Ian Mackaye (Fugazi, Minor Threat) telling people not to use Emo as a descriptiev term. Back in 86 or 87.

Andor

First Post
Man, I would hate to have the guy attempting to "embody the concept" of "Chant" in my adventuring party. Okay, okay, we get it, you're chanting, now shut up already!

... and they were forced to eat Robin's minstrels. And there was much rejoicing. "Yea."

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I think overall they have actually turned away from the emo-Tiefling, the old Tiefling while it certainly wasn't played emo the majority of the time was more then capable of being a much larger one.

You got to figure.

Old: Rare, half-breed of human and some demon/devil spawn creature, in most settings considered as evil, etc, etc. (-2 Charisma).

New: Fairly large population, while Tieflings past may be whispered in corners and bars it has been accepted by the majority of the population and most Tieflings strive to go beyond their ancestors mistakes. (+2 Charisma).

As for the names, it isn't that uncommon for a person (people) who have had very specification connotation placed upon them, ie: cursed to have names that correlate to this.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
IIRC, tieflings were the most popular non-PHB race in 3e, and their background then was one of fiendish heritage, alienation, and struggles against internal darkness. You could even have a pale waif of a tiefling (sex irrelevant) with raven hair, weird-colored eyes and a shroud of shadow hanging over them, which is much more "gothy" than the 4e race.

Not in Planescape. Tieflings didn't start as "OH GOD THE AAANGST, MY PARENTS ARE DEA-ER, DEMONS."

Even then, they don't have internal darkness. It was very plainly stated that tieflings didn't have some evil dark heritage that tugged at them to do bad things in their mind. As for the the raven hair, weird colored eyes, etc, that's why people liked tieflings, and that's why I'm so confused over the new ones. Tieflings were liked because of the table in the old 2e book that essentially allowed you to make your tiefling into anything. Turning them into a base, uniform race takes out one of the biggest reasons people loved them.

Like a lot of descriptive words, it's a poorly chosen one. Emo is short for emotional, which isnt' that what music is suppsoed to be? Considering the bands who are usually pointed at as originators of the style are bands liek Rites of Spring and date back to 1985 or 86, teh current Emo scene is really pathetic and the name means even less now than then. You can find a vid on youtube of Ian Mackaye (Fugazi, Minor Threat) telling people not to use Emo as a descriptiev term. Back in 86 or 87.

Emo means something very different from what it did in the 80's, both culturally and musically. You can thank mass-marketed bands or journal-fests like Dashboard Confessionals for that.

SSquirrel

Explorer
oh I'm quite aware, just pointing out that it's a much older term than the current fad or even sample discs of 10 years ago ;) It's always been an awful description. Given it's actual meaning, saying aperson is emo is actually perfectly acceptable. They're being overly emotional and dramatic.

Remove ads