D&D 5E Thievery in 5e - still relevant?

Zardnaar

Legend
Did anyone in prior editions run a thief / rogue character primarily as a means of obtaining money during downtime? That certainly wasn't my experience.

Not primarily but it was a way to level up faster in AD&D/Basic or optional rule in 2E without stealing from the party.

1gp= 1xp orcgp= 2xp in 2E as optional rule. We had some Thieves get 3 or 4 levels ahead of the party.

Ysunf that 2E rule we had one hit level 9 while everyone else was level 6 or 7.

Great! As I said, good for you. Hopefully the entire player base won't move on to the new shiny en masse and leave you liking something everyone else tells you is outdated and enjoyed by virtually no one, leaving you with no one to play with.

Trust me, it can happen. So enjoy being on top while you can.

Zardnaar

Legend
Which is one of 2e's truly redeeming features: you levelled up slowly.

That's a ymmv scenario though and only xp is killing monsters which is also anemic amount.

These days I would give out larger amounts of story xp or reward xp to compensate. Still level of slower than 5E (which us fine btw).

I probably would also allow 2xp per gp acquired for rogues.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That's a ymmv scenario though and only xp is killing monsters which us also anemic amount.

These days I would give out larger amounts of story xp or reward xp to compensate. Still level of slower tgan 5E (which us fiber btw).

I probably woukd also allow 2xp per gp acquired for rogues.
I would go with 1 for one, and apply it to everyone. Theives are just better at it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads