Thieves guilds and Assassins guilds 1E era

Valiant

First Post
Does anyone know of a published thieves or assassins guild. Specifically, I'd like something early TSR that shows the rooms (like a dungeon map but for a thieves guild) traps etc.

Perhaps there was a published module I missed that PCs clearing such a guild?
If not, did any of the early Dragon articles cover this topic.

Aus_Snow

First Post
For part of what you're asking there, this looks quite cool (and cheap), though I haven't tried any of their products, myself. It certainly seems to cover the visual aspect pretty well, at first glance.

I'm not sure if the Thief's Handbook (2e era?) covered some of the rest. . . possibly.

Hm, looks like Dungeon mag #4 might've been good for this, too. Harder to find though, it seems.

edit --- Aha, 'Den of Thieves' could be just the thing.

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
"The Assassins' Run" was featured by Ed Greenwood in Dragon 64---it's a dungeon environment used as training for assassins, and it's certainly a trap- and ambush-laden setting.

Voadam

Legend
Doesn't the 1e Lankhmar city book have something appropriate? It's been a while since I looked at that but it would seem in genre.

Ahzad

Explorer
Assassin's Mountain for the Al-Qadim setting details the assassin's guild of Zkhara. I think you can find it on RPGnow or other sites like it.

T. Foster

First Post
grodog said:
"The Assassins' Run" was featured by Ed Greenwood in Dragon 64---it's a dungeon environment used as training for assassins, and it's certainly a trap- and ambush-laden setting.
This same dungeon was later recycled in module H3: The Bloodstone Wars as part of the Grandfather of Assassins' hideout/HQ.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Voadam said:
Doesn't the 1e Lankhmar city book have something appropriate? It's been a while since I looked at that but it would seem in genre.
No, not really. However, Nigel Findley wrote a book called "Thieves of Lankhmar" for 2e Lankhmar, and it's OK.

Valiant, I'd look at the Gamelords Thieve's Guild stuff if you can find it. Not heavy on the maps, but pretty good material, overall.

Last edited:

Valiant said:
Does anyone know of a published thieves or assassins guild. Specifically, I'd like something early TSR that shows the rooms (like a dungeon map but for a thieves guild) traps etc.

Perhaps there was a published module I missed that PCs clearing such a guild?
If not, did any of the early Dragon articles cover this topic.
The only OD&D or 1st Ed. AD&D guild I recall is "The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor" by Judges Guild. IMHO I don't see it as a Thieves' Guild per se. Just another dungeon really that has very little in common with the name.

Remove ads