Level Up (A5E) Thinblade proficiency

TYP

Villager
A quick question: How do other GMs treat the thinblade with regard to proficiencies? On the one hand, it seems like it should fall under the rapier proficiency, but then also, 25 gp to get vicious (which I can't find on other weapons in AGB) seems like a bargain. Part of me wants to treat it as a separate weapon, since the thinblade has an additional property, while the other cultural weapons mostly just say, 'Count it as a _____.' As I implement that, though, it seems really expensive for characters to get trained up, though, which seems punitive. Thoughts?

Pedantic

Legend
Vicious isn't that overwhelming, so I don't know that I'd be that worried in this particular case. You're only saving 35 GP off just getting the property magically.

I think the real comparison point is exotic weapons, which you can't get proficiency in without a feat, class ability or the downtime training rules.

Pedantic

Legend
I think it's completely fine to give your PCs a 35GP discount off a vicious weapon if they want to use a rapier and have some appropriate reason to use an elven culturally specific weapon.

Remove ads