• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Third Level Thief Ability

fyi, picking pockets isn't an attack or spell so would not break invisibility.

BTW, taunting (Swashbucklers w/ Panache) isn't an attack or a spell either, so a Swashbuckler 9/Wizard 3 can invisibly taunt away, basically guaranteeing disadvantage to all enemy attacks on anybody who can understand him.

There are a number of interesting things to do with one's action which are neither attacks nor spells. Laying caltrops, Long Death Monk's Fear ability, Channel Divinity, [arguably] grappling (PHB is very clear that "no attack roll" = "not an attack", though this is controversial because grappling is also called a "special kind" of attack (which isn't an attack?)), Hypnotic Gaze (Enchanter ability), etc. Many of them require the target to see you though, which is what makes Panache especially interesting, since it only requires the target to be able to see or hear you.

Can't use magic items with Fast Hands, sadly. I believe it's called out specifically in the DMG.

Eh, I ignored that and it's worked fine. We have a thief in the game I'm running, and she gets to choose between dual wielding (and getting a 2nd sneak attack attempt if she pooches her 1st attack) and using a magic item. Hell, I tossed in "use magic device" at 3rd as well. She's still nothing compared to the paladin in terms of balance headaches.

Horwath

Legend
My first question has to be, "What's a non-combat feat?"

generaly a feat that does more benefit to exploration and social pillar of D&D rather direct combat mechanics.

So feats that could fall in this category(more or less) are;

Athlete,
Actor,
Dungeon delver,
Keen mind,
Linguist,
Observant,
Ritual caster,
Skilled,
Skulker,
Tavern brawler - I consider tavern fights a roleplaying thing, not actuall combat :p

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I'm just saying that every single one of the feats you just listed can impact combat. In meaningful ways, all. Might most consider some of those to typically be focused more on one of the other pillars of play? Sure. But they all can still have usefulness in combat situations.

If I'm told, "Choose one of the listed feats as a non-combat feature," am I allowed to use it in combat? What if I routinely use it in combat to substantive effect? Am I cheating? Cheesing?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I'm just saying that every single one of the feats you just listed can impact combat. In meaningful ways, all. Might most consider some of those to typically be focused more on one of the other pillars of play? Sure. But they all can still have usefulness in combat situations.

If I'm told, "Choose one of the listed feats as a non-combat feature," am I allowed to use it in combat? What if I routinely use it in combat to substantive effect? Am I cheating? Cheesing?
Come on, man. Having some usefulness in combat doesn't make something a combat feat. Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter are combat feats. Actor isn't. Being aggressively legalistic on the definition does no one any favors. It's a common sense issue, and if they find a few feats that are on the fence, they make a ruling and move on.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
So you don't think feats like: Athlete, Dungeon Delver, Observant, Ritual Caster, Skilled, Skulker, and Tavern Brawler have real and practical uses in combat? I see tons of applications. Some of them immediately, and substantively impactful in that pillar.

Heck, over half of those feats actually list combat features *in their text*. Many of them potentially add +1 to hit and damage to the character's combat aptitude.

You can insult me all you want. I asked what feats were considered "non-combat" and the list I was given didn't match my common sense approach to what is or isn't combat related. I mean, seriously? Tavern Brawler is a non-combat feat? Skulker? Really? WTH?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads