• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This is begging for a giant version

Cleon

Legend
Giant Dragonfly Redux Working Draft

Dragonfly, Giant
Medium Vermin
Hit Dice: 7d8+7 (38 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 80 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+8
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Gnaw, improved grab
Special Qualities: Aerial dodge, darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 13, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 3
Skills: Spot +8
Feats: Flyby Attack (B), Improved Flyby Attack (B)
Environment: Warm or temperate swamps and forests
Organization: Solitary or dazzle (2-6)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 8-14 HD (Large); 15-21 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

An enormous dragonfly, longer than a human is tall. Its slender body and globe-eyed head are brilliantly colored.

Giant dragonflies appear identical to their normal-sized kin. Their skin has a glittering, metallic colour - usually red, gold, green, or blue - and is often striped or spotted. Giant dragonflies come in many species, most of which can be easily distinguished by their coloration and pattern.

These giant insects live in both temperate and tropical lands. They are always found within flying distance of freshwater, since they must lay their eggs in lakes, swamps or rivers. Tropical giant dragonflies tend to be larger and more gorgeously coloured than their kin from cooler lands.

COMBAT

Giant dragonflies attack on the wing, using their Improved Flyby Attack feat to dart in, bite, and fly away before most opponents can react. The dragonfly will focus its attacks on opponents small enough to carry while flying (76 lbs or less for a typical dragonfly). It tries to use its Improved Grab to seize such an opponent and fly off with them, devouring its victim with its Gnaw special attack.

Aerial Dodge (Ex): A flying giant dragonfly is so agile it has a +4 AC bonus against all ranged and thrown attacks. It does not receive this bonus when it is not flying, or if its aerial maneuverability is lowered by some effect.

Gnaw (Ex): A giant dragonfly deals automatic bite damage every round it maintains a grapple.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a giant dragonfly must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it can establish a hold and start to gnaw its opponent.

Skills: Giant dragonflies have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I agree with all the red text, esp. with improving maneuverability with the size decrease.

In the past, when we've had an ability like devour, we've called it "gnaw" or maybe "worry" (I can't remember which one was like rend and which was like constrict). But I'm not sure either of those really makes sense for a big bug, so maybe we should stick with devour. What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
I agree with all the red text, esp. with improving maneuverability with the size decrease.

In the past, when we've had an ability like devour, we've called it "gnaw" or maybe "worry" (I can't remember which one was like rend and which was like constrict). But I'm not sure either of those really makes sense for a big bug, so maybe we should stick with devour. What do you think?

Well there ain't a great deal of difference between them, but I guess Gnaw's the best fit.

Creature Catalog said:
Worry (Ex): Each round an inostrancevia maintains a grapple, it shakes its prey violently, dealing 2d6+5 points of damage.

Gnaw (Ex): A mapmaker deals automatic bite damage every round it maintains a grapple.

Cleon

Legend
The Gnaw-style one makes more sense, since it probably isn't shaking prey.

How about "Masticate". ;)

Tempting though that is, I'm happy with Gnaw. Besides, we've already got multiple uses of Gnaw in the Creature Catalog.

I'll update the Working Draft with the old Red Text and add some more red text tweak ideas.

What about the proposal to increase the speed?

The original flew very fast (36"), which is faster than an AD&D Wild Eagle (30") or Large Hawk (33") and matches a Falcon (36").

That suggests speed 80 ft., like the SRD Eagle or Giant Eagle.

I didn't much like "swarm" for the group name. A brief internet rummage yielded cloud, cluster, dazzle or flight as possible collective nouns, of which I prefer "a flight of dragonflies".

freyar

Either of you remember what we called the rend like version? The one that gives auto bite damage on two successful attacks?

80 ft fly speed is good.

As for the org, I like "dazzle," but "flight" is also ok.

Cleon

Legend
Either of you remember what we called the rend like version? The one that gives auto bite damage on two successful attacks?

It doesn't ring any bells, I'm afraid.

80 ft fly speed is good.

No, no.

It's fly 80 ft. (good), not 80 ft fly speed is good. ;)

As for the org, I like "dazzle," but "flight" is also ok.

I have no objection to a dazzle of dragonflies if you prefer it.

I'll Update with an 80 ft. speed.

freyar

Let's go with dazzle then for 2-6 of them.

Looks pretty good. For the bonus feats, I think we should definitely give it Flyby Attack and Imp Flyby Attack (the improved version doesn't do much good without the regular version!). I'd also be inclined just to give it Mobility, since it's not going to be on the ground much anyway.

Cleon

Legend
Let's go with dazzle then for 2-6 of them.

I'll wait to see what organization Shade prefers before changing it.

Looks pretty good. For the bonus feats, I think we should definitely give it Flyby Attack and Imp Flyby Attack (the improved version doesn't do much good without the regular version!). I'd also be inclined just to give it Mobility, since it's not going to be on the ground much anyway.

Well, Improved Flyby Attack has two references to its possessor making Flyby Attack manoeuvres, including one in the "Normal" entry, so I don't feel Flyby Attack (B) is strictly necessary.

Still, including it wouldn't hurt.

However, I would like the AC bonus to only apply when airborne, since the original monster has something like that.

Hmm... maybe have some "Feeble Legs" SQ so it can't Charge, Run or use its Mobility feat when on the ground?

I'm also wondering about giving them a version of this:

Creature Catalog Dragonfly Turtle said:

Vulnerable Wings (Ex): A dragonfly turtle's wings are highly flammable, and can be damaged by area-of-effect fire attacks. The dragonfly turtle must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC equal to 10 plus the fire damage taken) or lose wings (one wing per 4 points of damage). A dragonfly turtle which has lost a single wing cannot fly, but can land without taking falling damage as per the feather fall spell. A dragonfly turtle that has lost two or more wings takes normal falling damage.

Additionally, dragonfly turtles cannot fly with wet wings. If a dragonfly turtle is struck by a water based attack or effect while flying, it must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC equal to that of the attack or effect, DC 15 if not otherwise specified) or be forced to land as if it had lost one wing. A dragonfly turtle can dry wet wings by buzzing them for at least one minute, or longer depending on the circumstances.

Remove ads