• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This PDF cover has to be seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
*suspects the_orc_within purchased something...unusual...from the scurrilous-looking bearded old man, and unwisely ingested it...*

Kafen

First Post
The art may be bad, but he's got an entire thread of posters talking about him. I did most of the artwork for Sword's Edge Publishing and never received a peep, so the artist is doing something right I guess.

It's attention. People are scoping out his site. For artists, it's a good thing. Generally speaking, the man has passion and motivation - actual direction and skill aside - which means he is likely to progress and grow from this experience. Hopefully, he gets some good advice and help at this point.

Anywho, I ask about my own work with the d20 Magazine Rack as I think about making PDFs. Korak's Reach, The Dwarven Stronghold of Siginzar, and the 18 Diseases PDF from the project represent some of my serious efforts at writing. The Korak's Reach PDF is on RPGnow for a short time. Then, it gets the boot when you have to start paying to host PDFs at that time. The second and third projects fail to make it past the D20 Magazine Rack. The sheer amount of work that goes into the three projects makes me cringe to this day when I consider the fact that nobody outside of Scott Stokes and Ghostwind likely knows they even exist.

I wonder how many of us have old stuff laying around that we regret working on. I find myself asking...

Q. Would I use my own content?
Q. Was it worth the time?
Q. What was I smoking?

Frankly, I know that some of my work in that section is lacking, but I have no problem with the effort in hindsight. It gives me stuff like this to reuse.

The Flats is the new plaza and trade center for the Poor Man’s Way. It is the first market center in a generation that the Poor Man’s Way can call its own, since the Vineyard Wall separates the older plaza of the Old Section from the active section of the Poor Man’s Way. A series of kiosks and carts change the face of the plaza each dawn as merchants and buyers change overnight. The few permanent businesses include: Rafe’s Bed and Roast, The Red Inn, and the wide grain silos where merchants hold their grain and ore for sale at market.

GM Secret: Tiser and Grimse, a pair of rogues, patrol the Flats for victims of their trade each morning. A party of wealthy adventurers is sure to attract the attention of Tiser and Grimse if the party displays a large amount of wealth in the plaza.

The Red Inn is a two-story tavern built of white-grey bedrock. The flat roof serves as the roost for a large number of birds, which make hell for fruit vendors. Booze and women are the only things that the Red Inn offers the Poor Man’s Way. The original owner is unknown to the most people in the Poor Man’s Way. “The Hand”, are a local gang of thugs. They claim ownership of The Red Inn.

GM Secret: The Hand is band of thugs that deal in various illegal activities in the Poor Man’s Way. The local law ignores their activity as long as the gang keeps their crimes in the Poor Man’s Way. The gang is responsible for death of the original owner of The Red Inn during the construction of the Flats. In fact, the original owner of The Red Inn is the man that built the Flats.

*shrug* I guess it's a hindsight thing. I wonder if the author and artist is going to look back on this say... "I made my mistake, but I made the effort." ...which is kind of how I look back on my own work. I suppose the hindsight bit makes me cautious about throwing too many stones when it comes to mistakes.

Last edited:

SiderisAnon

First Post
Well, at least it appears to have something to do with potions/alchemy...that or it's a depiction of an elderly drug dealer.

That new cover image has been driving me nuts because I KNOW I've seen it somewhere before, like in a gaming book. (But with better quality.) I just can't find it.

Considering that some of his other work is derivative, I'm not sure I should be surprised I recognize that dwarf image. I just wish I could place it so my mind would let it go.

Wicht

Hero
That new cover image has been driving me nuts because I KNOW I've seen it somewhere before, like in a gaming book. (But with better quality.) I just can't find it.

Considering that some of his other work is derivative, I'm not sure I should be surprised I recognize that dwarf image. I just wish I could place it so my mind would let it go.

I think I've seen it somewhere too. But not in a gaming book. One of the discworld books maybe or an illustrated Sword in the Stone? Its going to nag me now that you mentioned that.

Kafen

First Post
I think I've seen it somewhere too. But not in a gaming book. One of the discworld books maybe or an illustrated Sword in the Stone? Its going to nag me now that you mentioned that.

I am going over my steam punk collection looking for it. Nothing as of yet...

Jasperak

Adventurer
5737924_std.jpg

You studied under Picasso? I'm impressed. :p

lkjopajdowma

Explorer

It'd be nice to figure out where it's from, since he obviously didn't draw it himself judging from his other works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads