• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This qualifies as art?

Vorput

First Post
Those of you who don't leave the Wizard's page mentioned by the OP might not notice this gem.

Those pictures, coupled with the witty commentary, made me like this artist that much more :)

Nebulous

Legend
I think the pictures range from edgy and creepy to humorous and campy. I like them all pretty much. I would not want the wrong picture in the wrong place in an official release, but that's not going to happen.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
You know, I didn't care at first, not liking the mini-previews and thinking it was just not for me... But after actually looking at them, I think they are funny.

They're growing on me too. As OhGodtheRats pointed out, the original D&D art was sometimes (if not often) humorous and lighthearted as well, so it's not as if he's bucking some long tradition of ULTRA-SERIOUSNESS. Of course, even if he were, so what? Like I said earlier, I'm happy to have people contributing new product to D&D.

Mallus

Legend
Those of you who don't leave the Wizard's page mentioned by the OP might not notice this gem.
Thanks for pointing that out!

The D&D-themed stuff is good, but the opera cartoons are all kinds of awesome. I wish I had the talent to render my first impressions of real (non-Bugs Bunny) opera in cartoon form. I'm sure my wife would have loved that... "This is what you thought of The Magic Flute??!!!!"

Mallus

Legend
...which reminds me all too much of elementary and middle school art class.
I'm pretty sure Mark Rothko painted most his works using the same Tempra paints found in my elementary school's art supply closet. Besides, plenty of artists use colored pencils, markers, etc., the kinds of tools a child would use.

Heck, some fine artists get world-famous by making childish scrawls on paper --Cy Twombly, I'm looking at you... and giving you the stink-eye.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm pretty sure Mark Rothko painted most his works using the same Tempra paints found in my elementary school's art supply closet. Besides, plenty of artists use colored pencils, markers, etc., the kinds of tools a child would use.

There was/is prejudice against people using acrylic paints... from the oil paint group(acrylic is far faster to work with and more versatile... but there are some specific effects that are hard to achieve with it). It isn't the media it is what you do with it. Oil pastels can be used to do awesome things as can colored pencils.

Nellisir

Hero

Those pictures, coupled with the witty commentary, made me like this artist that much more :)
Those are...pretty awesome. I could easily use some of those in my campaign. Personally, while I agree that it might not be the perfect style for an entire Monster Manual, it is far better than anything I could produce. I could do the lines, maybe, but the color and shading? Not a chance.

resistor

First Post

Heck, some fine artists get world-famous by making childish scrawls on paper --Cy Twombly, I'm looking at you... and giving you the stink-eye.

You don't want to know my opinion of Mark Rothko, or Cy Twombly. ;-)

Remove ads