D&D 5E Those crazy moments

Azurewraith

Explorer
Ok so i just had to share this last night in our game session we where sent to go explore some caves in the mountain as reports of something strange had been filtering in we got there lots of people where running round carrying meat into some large cages we immediately thought dragons our thief went to explore a cave and inside he found alot of large eggs DRAGON now he didn't notice the dragon snoozing in the cave as he proceeded to roll an egg out needless to say the dragon noticed as we saw the dragon come barreling out the cave it was described as "the biggest thing you have ever seen comes erupting out the side of the mountain making a new door in the process" so where level 9.... our lock cast the invisibility spell on the dragon we where all riding(because my GM let find steed summon anything at our lvl in CR ^^) and we decided as a group sans the thief to get out of dodge he tried to run couldn't survived a breath weapon and then had a stand of with the dragon i left the room to go print a new char sheet for him upon returning to the sounds of OMG WTF HOW!!! turns out the dm said if you can roll a nat 20 on your intimidate ill let you live.... well he only went and did it the dragon took her egg back and went home oh it was an ancient black dragon btw.

So crazy things happen at the dnd table i couldn't keep it to myself anyone else like to share.

Unwise

Adventurer
Punctuation, please.

OK, ,,...,,..,,,.? ,., ,,..,,.? !,,, ......, .,. ,,,...! There you go :)

I agree, but it did capture the feeling of somebody bursting into a room in a fit of excitement and blurting out "OMG You won't believe what just happened!..." My internal sub-vocalization always reads posts like that without taking a breath or pause, makes them more exciting, if confusing.

Rhenny

Adventurer
The random element in D&D has always made it exciting.

Your experience reminds me of a moment in one of the games I DMd a few months ago. In our game, the PCs were traveling across the land toward the Feathergale Society Spire (Princes of the Apocalypse spoilers). I had them interrupt an encounter between 3 Feathergale Knights on Hippogriffs making strafing attacks against 2 Earth Cult warriors and one Burrow Warden riding a Bullette. Since it was already mid battle, the Burrow Warden and the other warriors had taken a little damage already. The PCs decided to attack the Earth Cult and ally with the Feathergale Knights. Pretty soon, they were able to take down the two warriors, but then the Burrow Warden commanded the Bullette to dig, burrow and escape.

Well, the PCs didn't like that so the Gnome Paladin jumped right down the burrow hole after the bullette and rider. Then the Half-Orc Fighter followed, and soon after, the Gnome Rogue gave chase as well. Those three adventurers used double moves (and the rogue used his cunning action) to just keep up with the bullette. They were able to hack at it with a number of opportunity attacks, but each time the bullete would pull away and they'd have to hustle to follow. Meanwhile, each time they were adjacent to the bullette, the Burrow Warden got an attack or two in, so they were getting whittled down. Hundreds of feet away from where they jumped into the tunnel, they finally killed the Bullette, but by then, the Gnome Paladin had gone down unconscious and so did the Gnome Rogue. Facing to face with the Half-Orc Fighter, the Burrow Warden knocked him down. All three were down and bleeding out. The Burrow Warden in a panic to escape, just ran up the tunnel to escape leaving the others to their doom.

The Paladin eventually stabilized. The Rogue didn't...he died (a natural "1" helped him along). The Fighter rolled a natural "20" and gained 1 hp so he was able to carry the two Gnomes up the tunnel to find the Feathergale Knights who had finished off the Burrow Warden.

In our moment, we got 3 completely different results from the death save mechanic and we loved it. The natural "20" just about saved a TPK.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Punctuation, please.

Terribly sorry about that. Had my son crawling up my arm, leg, head and back. I don't believe in punctuation on the internet either in a good book yes gives you a feel for the pacing in a random forum, post that will never be read aloud not so much. Just breath when you want man.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That improbable heroic chance is what I love. A few years ago we were playing Warhammer 1e, and we were all new PCs. I got into an arena with a minotaur and should have died fast. I hit with my attack, and proceeded to roll 6 after 6 after 6, taking it out with one punch :)

*for those not familiar with WFRP, all damage is a d6. If you get a 6, you roll again and add it to your total.

Remove ads