Thought on a 40k issue

Larnievc

Hero
OK, I'm thinking my next campaign will be in the 40k universe, using the Zweihander rules coupled with the incomplete Dark Astral chapbook and some tweaks. Using the excellent Runequest Argan Argan Atlas.

Taking a page from Dark Astral, my campaign will be set on a single solar Imperial system isolated by warp storms. This will allow me to pare the 40k lore down to a much more manageable level, especially since I expect my player base will not be deeply versed in 40k.

The initial spadework is very promising, but one issue that has leapt out at me is this: what would be done with feral/unlicensed psykers? There's no Black Fleet vessels to gather them in for the grading and (for some) training facilities on Holy Terra. Simple execution would seem the obvious step, but also a waste of potential power for the in-game government, and a flat note in role-play terms.
I’d take a leaf out of the Inquisitors in the Star Wars dark times. Have the equivalent to Sanctioned Psykers part of (maybe undercover) the authority’s continual task of rooting out wrong ‘uns.

I’d take a leaf out of the Inquisitors in the Star Wars dark times. Have the equivalent to Sanctioned Psykers part of (maybe undercover) the authority’s continual task of rooting out wrong ‘uns.
The Inquisition, many of whom are sanctioned psykers, are a mainstay of the 40k lore.

Larnievc

Hero
The Inquisition, many of whom are sanctioned psykers, are a mainstay of the 40k lore.
Yeah, I know. It wouldn’t be the Imperial Inquisition. It would be whatever locale version filled niche for dealing with the inherent danger that psykers represent with out just killing them.

You could have a parallel self policing version like the Veiled Alliance from Dark Sun.

Either way psykers need to be dealt with and that means some form of institution to police them.

It’s always going to be some form of join or die.

aramis erak

Legend
Its not that my setting is different; I just want to reduce the learning curve for my players. With one planet, I can drop Space Marines and a lot of other stuff while preserving the 40k flavor.

Its the culling wild psykers that I'm having issues with. Just a bullet in the back of the neck seems wasteful and closing off options, but what else are there? There's no signal to be fueled.

I know nothing about Bab 5, and do not wish to learn.
The thing is, if they've had contact with the Exterminatus in living memory+1 Generation, they might still fear reprisals if the Imperium stops by. They might also be holding all of the regular exports waiting for the tax collector. And the Imperium punishes failure to pay quite harshly.... decimation level drafts, etc.

The thing is, if they've had contact with the Exterminatus in living memory+1 Generation, they might still fear reprisals if the Imperium stops by. They might also be holding all of the regular exports waiting for the tax collector. And the Imperium punishes failure to pay quite harshly.... decimation level drafts, etc.
I like that thought.

EDIT: Been thinking on this, and it is brilliant. I envision huge STC-standard shipping containers regularly loaded with equipment and durable goods of all kinds being lifted up to hang in orbit, the Emperor's Tithe, never to be touched until the Return, even while shortages plague society. Careful auditing of all government and business actions to ensure purity in anticipation of review upon the Return.

And above all, ruthless pogroms against the Enemies Within and Without.

It is perfect.

Last edited:

Remove ads