D&D 5E Thoughts on a skills PC.

ElterAgo

Explorer
... quite often you will find times when your tricked out skill monkey character still gets beaten by other members of your party who have stacked up on combat instead because they just happen to roll a 19 and you rolled a 3. .... But at the very least, having that character will reduce the number of failures your party tends to suffer from (even if it can't eliminate it completely.) ...
That doesn't bother me in the slightest. If someone else gets a better total, that is perfectly fine. I just want to avoid this campaign's problem of feeling like no one can ever succeed at the check.

Last edited:

ElterAgo

Explorer
Ok, thanks folks for all the ideas. I hadn't noticed the knowledge cleric. That definitely gets a look-see. I haven't even started looking at Monsters of the Multiverse, so thanks for those suggestions. Hmm... better make a list of 'things to check on' over the next couple of weeks.
1) Cleric of Knowledge
2) Trance race feature in MoM
3) Soulknife Rogue
4) Eloquene Bard (haven't heard of that one before) {Ok, he meant Eloquence. Would be great, but I don't want to be the face for this season.}
5) Lucky feat
6) Prodigy (human or half-elf only?)
7) Skill Expert (only once)
8) Githkyanki Astral Knowledge

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ok, thanks folks for all the ideas. I hadn't noticed the knowledge cleric. That definitely gets a look-see. I haven't even started looking at Monsters of the Multiverse, so thanks for those suggestions. Hmm... better make a list of 'things to check' over the next couple of weeks.
1) Cleric of Knowledge
2) Trance race feature in MoM
3) Soulknife Rogue
4) Eloquene Bard (haven't heard of that one before)
5) Lucky feat
6) Prodigy (human or half-elf only?)
7) Skill Expert (only once)
8) Githkyanki Astral Knowledge
Hope it all helps. I big part is just deciding how you want to be good at skills and if you want to cover as many as possible or just a fair number.

A lot also depends on how your DM handles ASI/feats when multiclassing. If you do it by class levels (4th, 8th, etc.) then level dipping will cost you feats.

Finally, how long will you play this character? If your games typically just run to 8th or 10th levels, you need to focus as much as possible on getting what you want quickly. If you think it might make it into tiers 3 and 4, you have more options.

Please return and let us know what you decide to go with--I, for one, am curious. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You lost me here. I'm not seeing where Ranger gets anything extra for skills at level 3.
I assume the reference is to Tasha's Ranger with Deft Explorer.

But all you need is a 1 level Dip. Ranger multiclass grants you one skill, and Canny (below) allows you another expertise.

1653762299155.png

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The Rogue's level 11 ability, Reliable Talent is what you want. Get that and aim for a +5 bonus without expertise or a +10 with expertise and you've got skills covered such that you won't just fail them all the time.

After that it's really whatever else you want to do. Multiclass a few levels to get access to pass without trace or lore bards cutting words. Etc.

FrogReaver

A lot also depends on how your DM handles ASI/feats when multiclassing. If you do it by class levels (4th, 8th, etc.) then level dipping will cost you feats.
RAW is that ASI's are class based so it costs you. I've never seen a DM not do it this way but it could be possible, albeit very rare.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
RAW is that ASI's are class based so it costs you. I've never seen a DM not do it this way but it could be possible, albeit very rare.
Yeah, that is why I said to ask the DM...

FWIW, we do it by character level, not class level... so, there is myself and one other DM in our group: now you know two DMs who do it by character level, not class level. ;)

FrogReaver

Yeah, that is why I said to ask the DM...

FWIW, we do it by character level, not class level... so, there is myself and one other DM in our group: now you know two DMs who do it by character level, not class level. ;)
I think you are overrating how common it is to do that.

Remove ads