D&D 5E Thoughts on D&D Next playtest adventure

Another couple questions about experience:

Anyone planning on giving out non-combat experience, as permitted in the DM Guidelines document? The trade adventure and the 'Wake the Stones' sections seem to cry out for it, and there are perhaps other places.

Is one intended to let players level during the adventure?

Blackwarder

Adventurer
My take on the xp levels is that they are intentionally low so that the players willbe able to play test all five levels.

I intend to only hand XP by completing chapters and only 1/10 of the suggested monster xp.

Warder

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I ran this briefly for two PCs the other night. We had a dwarf fighter (the pregen) and an elf sorcerer, and they both proved to be quite effective. I was cutting monster numbers in half, but they did not have any problems with any encounters. I eventually sicced Tally on them, but I omitted her bugbears. The fight was certainly the most dangerous, but the PCs were level 2 and managed to take her down.

A couple of observations:

• My players loved the adventure. The elf's player in particular really enjoyed all the options for things to do and quests to pursue.
  • The XP values seem off. Especially for orcs. Apparently they're worth 460 xp each? Tally isn't worth that much herself, and she's a L3 elite.
  • The adventure lists no stats for earth elementals. My PCs went to meet the Pechs, then decided to go negotiate with Karglen for Pech rights. Then they met Talabrina and captured her. The end result was Karglen asked them to lead an assault on the Hall of Miners, and they decided not to go get the Pechs. So they came into the chamber and an earth elemental attacked... I had no stats available. Since we were wrapping up, I just narrated the disaster as it unfolded, and told them how hellishly Ogremoch's Bane was pelting them with stone until they fled, most of their allies dead in the ill-fated offensive. I realize PCs aren't supposed to take on the elementals by combat, but going to get the Pechs seems like a foregone conclusion where my PCs treated it more like an option they could use.

Despite the minor gripes, the adventure seems superb. I've finished reading the whole thing, and I can't wait to run it for my usual group. I really want to see how they handle it. One of my players in particular has always had a love for svirfneblin, and has always complained that they don't show up enough, so this will be a real treat.

Arytiss

First Post
Ran through the first parts of the adventure with a small group of players. They liked the Pechs, as I was able to give them a nice mystical air, and a slightly threatening vibe after they saw one walk backwards in to a wall.

The Wormwrithings were enjoyable, and the traps that the kobolds set were of the sort that I would expect of kobolds. Fairly crude, and based around the idea of distracting the players and disadvantaging them while the kobolds make use of it to attack in force. I also liked that there was a note that the kobolds would flee if they lost more than half their numbers in any encounter.

The second feature I found interesting in this segment, however, was the potential encounter with the purple worm. The reason I found this one interesting was that it was a potential TPK, reliant on luck should the players decide not to run (as players so often do). Mine didn't have the guide with them as they had opted to head for the Wormwrithings before going back to talk with the gnomes. Purple worm came through, Reflexes were rolled. Reflexes were failed and the party was eaten.

A rather tragic end. The players actually liked that the encounter was present though as it showed that D&D next had encounters that presented actual threats and very real dangers. The combats were usually fairly quick, even against large numbers of kobolds supporting Giant Centipedes, but they carried an element of danger with them (though not too much, just enough to show that this is dangerous)

Does anyone else have opinions on the purple worm? Did your party encounter it?

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Nice to hear about the purple worm, sounds really cool.

One other thing I liked in this advanture is the map design, just like the advanture it's not linear, both the Blingdenstone map and the map in chapter 3 got multiplie paths in it.

Btw, can anyone tell what's the map on page 44 is for?

Warder

Blackwarder

Adventurer
One thing that bothers me though, is that the advanture don't say anything about what happens once the PCs finish all or some of the missions and fail in the rest or none.

A little a bit of info should have been nice.

Warder

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
I Have to very much agree with the above this adventure is just chock full of awesome. A far cry from the 4E era adventures. Even if 5E brings us just more adventures like this I`ll be a happy camper since i can use this with old D&D editions with little adjustment.

Remove ads