• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thoughts on Ed Greenwood's Spellstorm

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Rather a surprising lack of Realms-shaking events in Ed's latest Forgotten Realms novel - you can find my review here, but as I get older, I appreciate spending time with characters when they're not locked in mortal combat. :)

Elminster gets a wonderful line when he says "Most of the strife I foresee will be on the Sword Coast and its backlands"... which almost certainly has to be a reference to Wizards' current adventure/storyline publishing strategy.

The book updates a few things about the post-Sundering Realms, which is no mean trick because most of it takes place in a manor where the guests can't leave due to the eponymous spellstorm. Elminster also gets to "retire" and be a butler, or something like that. But we get a clue of what Mystra is up to, and there's a lot of time spent with old favourites of the Realms.

I didn't really realise back when I was first introduced to the Realms exactly how important some characters were to Ed (and in his home campaign). I've got a much better idea of that now, because Spellstorm revisits a number of characters that were prominently displayed in early Realms products (and I'm sure have been developed since then): Elminster, Myrmeen, Khelben, Alusair and Mirt in particular. Manshoon - of course - also gets a fair bit of attention.

I've got this odd perspective on the Realms, as I was one of its early fans (collecting everything I could, etc.), but drifting away in the 2E days. I occasionally picked up things here and there mainly due to Organised Play, but there's a lot of material I never really paid attention to. So, I come back to this book and say, "Hey! I know a lot of these characters!" And they feel developed, which is to say: they've had lives. They've had things happen to them. And, though they're the same characters at their core, they've been changed by the hundred-odd-years that have happened in the Realms since they were introduced to me.

And that is absolutely awesome. :)

So: I really enjoyed this book. I think it has a few structural flaws and probably doesn't spend enough time fleshing out the other guests, but I wasn't reading it for them. I was reading it for Alusair and Elminster. For that, it delivered.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Quick query: Has anyone else read it? ;)

(I read mine on a kindle. It was a bit cheaper than buying it for aus$50-odd).

Cheers!

jrowland

First Post
I've read it, and while I enjoyed it, I think I would have loved to see MORE of this style of story. Stories of Big Bang Boom of High Level Chosen *cough* demi-gods *cough* are cool and all, but I can't take the steady diet of them that is the vast majority of Realms stories. So on that end, my enjoyed was muted for having it...less connected...than it could have been (nostalgia aside, I enjoyed the menagerie of older characters as well)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've read it, and while I enjoyed it, I think I would have loved to see MORE of this style of story. Stories of Big Bang Boom of High Level Chosen *cough* demi-gods *cough* are cool and all, but I can't take the steady diet of them that is the vast majority of Realms stories. So on that end, my enjoyed was muted for having it...less connected...than it could have been (nostalgia aside, I enjoyed the menagerie of older characters as well)

There are definite reasons why the Elfshadow books of Elaine Cunningham are my favourite books in the realms - great characters really are important to me.

Cheers!

AwakenedShrub420

Banned
Banned
Erin M Evans. I need to read her newest book, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far. :)

Cheers!

i feel like she lost sight of what makes a good realms novel and became too engrossed in her childish characters. who wants to read 500 pages of demi-human love triangle ctrl+v?

Ainulindalion

First Post
i feel like she lost sight of what makes a good realms novel and became too engrossed in her childish characters. who wants to read 500 pages of demi-human love triangle ctrl+v?

But love is one of humanity's most important motivations, and when you're an 'important person' because of birth or being Chosen or whatever, all your motivations can have a significant impact on the world at large.

Remove ads