• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on Quintessential fighter

EverSoar

First Post
Whats everyone's thoughts on the Quintessential fighter?

What about fighting styles? Cool idea, but kinda powerful i feel.

Weapons are good, dueling ideas are cool. And character conepts are great too.

Just wondering what the consensus is.

Crothian

First Post
I reall enjoy the book. I think adding an XP cost to the fighting styles is really the only think needed to balance them out. The concepts are okay, it is the first Quint book so some sections like that are not always the best. The prestige classes are interesting as well. I like all of the feats, and for me the book is really good.

However, many people don't feel that way. THe book moves away from the core rules a little to far for most people it seems.

gariig

First Post
Just a general thought on all of the Quintessential books. Some have REALLY good ideas (Quint Rogue is one) with optional rules that make some things easier. However, some of the feats are optional items are very overpowering. In the Quint Elf there was a feat that allowed you to threat in 20 feet with a bow, complete flanking, sneak attacks, etc. Just to let you know, but I can't wait for the Quint Psi/PsiWar

Gariig

Furn_Darkside

First Post
I like the book a lot and have/will make more use of it then its WOTC counterpart.

The xp-charge Crothian mentioned was my only really change.

FD

jollyninja

First Post
the jousting rules are good but a few of the prestige classes are a bit much as far as unbalancing the game goes. many of the weapons are unbalanced. i don't use the book much but i do use it more then sword and fist.

reapersaurus

Explorer
I don't know about the other Quint. books, but I feel like there's more creativity in 10 pages of Quint Fighter than in any of the splatbooks.

1) Fighters and combat feats in 3E by WotC are very uninspired.
2) Feats are a linear progression, as opposed to the geometric progression that spell-casters get. High-level feats should be powerful as hell, and they aren't.

I think Quin Fighter didn't go powerful ENOUGH.

reapersaurus said:
1) Fighters and combat feats in 3E by WotC are very uninspired.
2) Feats are a linear progression, as opposed to the geometric progression that spell-casters get. High-level feats should be powerful as hell, and they aren't.

I think Quint Fighter didn't go powerful ENOUGH.
Interesting. How about giving us an example of the 20th level feat, something with BAB +20 as a prereq? That could be a fun book to write. Just remember such a book would have to come with monsters capable of the same tricks.

Actually, I disagree with number 2 but I'm not sure what you mean by geometric exactly. I don't think the spell system is grounded in any second order equation based on level. I don't think there is a formula that could describe the randomness of the system. Afterall, finger of death is a lower level spell than otto's irresistable dance. And otto's dance is only just as deadly if there is a strong fighter to attack its victim.

In any case, if you are saying that spells get more powerful over time both individually and because of quantity, I would point out that feats can usually be used with every swing of a weapon.

Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com

Last edited:

dead_radish

Explorer
I loved quintessential fighter. There were a few very very broken things (the archer class that can threaten at 3rd level or so), but for the most part, it's really good.

I don't mind the fighting styles, as they require wisdom mods to take. Since very few fighters have a +3 wisdom mod, it seems to benefits palys and rangers some, and other fighters will go "Aww, man!"

My main complaint was that they seemed a bit too gung-ho on the 18-20 threat range, Over half the weapons had 18-20 (or so it seemed).

QF is my recommendation for the best non-WotC product out there, and is far more useful than Sword and Fist, at least for me. It's inspirational, as opposed to "Look, more feats."

Remove ads