Thousand Year Old Vampire: Guillaume d'Orléans

Salmakia

Explorer
This is really quite something. I love stories about immortals & what it actually means from a psychological perspective to live for hundreds of years. And the ending of "I'm comfortable with being lonely" and then suddenly "I'm literally alone with my thoughts for millennia" is haunting and a fittingly terrifying conclusion to a vampire story.

I am curious - how do you determine how much time has passed? Is there a mechanic in the prompts for that or do you just estimate based on how far along in the prompt book you are?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am curious - how do you determine how much time has passed? Is there a mechanic in the prompts for that or do you just estimate based on how far along in the prompt book you are?
Occasionally, there are prompts that say, flat out, that your character has slept for 100 years or has slept through generations of life, both of which happened to Guillaume.

Other times, I chose to skip forward. I knew going in that I wanted, if possible, for Guillaume to be a thousand year old vampire, which is why I started the adventure in 1022 (with a real event -- Wikipedia has a page for every year of human history going back to at least 1 BCE). When I got to the end, and realized I was coming up on the moment when a high roll would mean the end of the game, I stepped on the gas and jumped him into the post-colonial Americas and Las Vegas.

If I had to do it over again, I probably would have jumped him forward 75 years at a time, or so, except when prompts were obviously connected to previous ones and I needed to retain the same generation of mortals for a bit.

Remove ads