Thread Recompilation - Places

Kahuna Burger

First Post
El Jefe said:
First, I don't think I have any problem with any of the details that are set in Orussus. I'm not sure street addresses would get up into triple digits in a town of 14,000, but that's a quibble. Maybe someday if I ever try to make a map of Orussus I might have more to say on this.

just to counterquibble, ( ;) ) in "planned" cities, street numbers go in hundreds regardless of the number of houses, as the blocks are 100 block, 200 block, etc. So 237 East Potter Lane under that system only means that East potter is at least 3 blocks long.

El Jefe

First Post
Yeah, somehow Orussus strikes me as the opposite of "planned".

I suppose the city fathers could have sat down one day and come up with a numbering scheme that went in hundreds, effectively giving numbers to previously numberless houses and bringing forth order out of chaos.

Just two comments. First, I live not far from a city with a street O 1/2. That's O 1/2, not 0 1/2. There's also an N 1/2, a P 1/2, etc.

And don't even get me started on the street numbering system in Tokyo!

El Jefe

First Post
(Proposal) Buildings

There was no specific location information in this thread. There was one item that was so generic that I didn't even bother recording it in my personal file of "All things geographical":
  • Guilds and guildhalls exist in EnWorld
Yeah, I know, that one's shocking. I'll try to do better next time.

El Jefe

First Post
(Adventure) Of eggs and desires [GnomeWorks Judging]

An uncompleted adventure that promised to be quite interesting before it was cut short.

Geographical facts from the adventure:
  • The heart room is one of the more luxurious private rooms at the Red Dragon Inn, dominated by a large fireplace and adorned with paintings of famous battles, places and people.
  • Hippogriffs have established a nest in the Larkenwold Reach
  • Apple Glade is a small hamlet in the hills where apples are grown and cider is made. It is reached from a turnoff on the road to Rivenblight, 25 miles north of Orussus.
  • The Raddanors have a large compound on Green Street in Orussus. There are many cages with animals and a large stable there.
  • The Red Dragon Inn has a modest library in one of the rooms.
  • A large oak marks the turnoff to Apple Glade from the road to Rivenblight. The path is barely large enough for a cart, and is marked by a sign reading "Ap..e Gla…..0 m..es
  • There is a small, muddy stream a few yards from the large oak that marks the turnoff to Apple Glade from the road from Orussus to Rivenblight.
  • The path to Apple Glade is hilly, wooded and rocky. Three hours from the road to Orussus is a small clearing that can serve as a campsite. There are 2 wooden benches around a fire ring.

Remove ads