• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Three new feats, please critique

GIANTSLAYER

Your experience fighting giants have netted you the following benefits:

• Increase your Strength or Constitution by 1, up to a maximum of 20.
• You gain a +1 AC bonus against large, huge and gargantuan enemies.
• You score a critical hit against large, huge and gargantuan enemies on a roll of 19-20. If you already have an extended critical hit range, instead increase the critical hit range by one when fighting large, huge and gargantuan enemies.
• When you score a critical hit against a large, huge or gargantuan enemy, you knock that enemy prone as long as it's no more than two size categories larger than you.

FEYSTRIDER

You have traveled extensively in the Feywild, learning the ways of that strange realm and it's capricious denizens. Your travels have changed you in the following ways:

• You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed. If a racial trait already gives you this ability, you gain immunity instead.
• You can speak with small beasts, communicating simple ideas through sounds and gestures. If a racial ability already gives you this ability, you gain the ability to also speak with medium-sized beasts.
• You can cast the misty step spell once per day. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a short or long rest. If a racial trait already gives you this ability, you gain the ability to cast misty step twice per day instead.
• You can speak Sylvan and you have advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) and Wisdom (Insight) checks against fey creatures.

DAGGER MASTER

Your skill with daggers is extraordinary. You gain the following benefits:

• Increase your Dexterity or Strength by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• If you attack with a dagger and naturally roll the highest amount of damage on that weapon's damage die, you can roll the damage die again and add that amount to the damage total. You can only do this once per turn.
• When you score a critical hit with a dagger, you can use your reaction to make another attack.
• When you throw daggers, the range increases to 30/70.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Got some interesting things in here. My feedback will be around balance, theme, and how interesting it is. To give an example fo the last, pure "math changes" won't be as interesting as new/expanded options.

GIANTSLAYER

Your experience fighting giants have netted you the following benefits:

• Increase your Strength or Constitution by 1, up to a maximum of 20.
• You gain a +1 AC bonus against large, huge and gargantuan enemies.
• You score a critical hit against large, huge and gargantuan enemies on a roll of 19-20. If you already have an extended critical hit range, instead increase the critical hit range by one when fighting large, huge and gargantuan enemies.
• When you score a critical hit against a large, huge or gargantuan enemy, you knock that enemy prone as long as it's no more than two size categories larger than you.
Decent. I'm back and forth about the stat boost. If it was against an occasional foe I'd be fore it, but large+ creatures come up enough that I don't know if that's the route I would have taken. But the rest of the feat isn't overly powerful so feels okay.

The crit bonus plays nicely with the final ability. I'd love to see a reciprocal ability - perhaps if a creature is more than two sizes larger something about climbing on it or something. Whatever a halfling giantslayer would have.

Crit range really helps large weapon wielders a lot more than smaller weapon wielders. Do you intentionally want to make this less effective for them?

I think my biggest critique is that this comes up so infrequently. It's a limited selection of foes, it's a a bonus to AC you don't get to actively use, and the abilities come up on a 19-20 (or more with champion), making this rarely come into play. I think players might be excited abotu the idea but then it comes up too infrequently at the table.

FEYSTRIDER

You have traveled extensively in the Feywild, learning the ways of that strange realm and it's capricious denizens. Your travels have changed you in the following ways:

• You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed. If a racial trait already gives you this ability, you gain immunity instead.
• You can speak with small beasts, communicating simple ideas through sounds and gestures. If a racial ability already gives you this ability, you gain the ability to also speak with medium-sized beasts.
• You can cast the misty step spell once per day. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a short or long rest. If a racial trait already gives you this ability, you gain the ability to cast misty step twice per day instead.
• You can speak Sylvan and you have advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) and Wisdom (Insight) checks against fey creatures.

You mention Misty Step 1/day, but then give it back on short rests as well. Which is it?

Misty step is actually my biggest worry in terms of balance. This feat gives out a 2nd level spell either daily or on a short rest, plus other stuff. That seems to be more powerful then other feats. Yes, some racial specific feats give out spells of that level or higher, but those are limited by race. That said, Misty Step isn't a particularly game-breaking spell, so that's perhaps a bit alarmist on my part.

Not a huge fan of immunity, and it seems that world-building wise you're implying that elves+half elves who live in the feywild only get advantage, but an elf or half-elf who lives elsewhere and then goes there to visit a lot (taking this feat) gets immunity. Or that in your world would all of the elves + half-elves who live in the feywild get Fey Strider for free? Which I'm not suggesting. Just seeing fluff for this butting heads with setting fluff.

I like speaking to beasts. Good, flavorful, useful.

Sylvan, perfect. Advantage is good, though goes back to my fluff question.

DAGGER MASTER

• If you attack with a dagger and naturally roll the highest amount of damage on that weapon's damage die, you can roll the damage die again and add that amount to the damage total. You can only do this once per turn.
• When you score a critical hit with a dagger, you can use your reaction to make another attack.

Mostly math, but it does have interest in bringing up a little-used weapon.

Not fond of an always-on combat boost also needing a bonus to a stat. None of the other feats have that.

Exploding damage die 1/turn - a d4 goes from an average of 2.5 to 3.125. So you get a boost of .625 damage per turn and introduce needing another roll at the table. Not worth it. If you want to give a damage bonus, I'd do it some other way. Heck, make them do d6 so their crits get bigger.

Crit granting reaction attack - not fond of this. Crits are underwhelming with daggers, sure. And the most likely to take this are rogues who will be trying for sneak attack so more likely to crit. But ti comes up infrequently. A reaction is an odd thing to use - while a dagger wielder likely is already using two-weapon fighting so bonus action is taken, it means that if you crit with an attack of opportunity you get nothing special since you've already used your reaction. Heck, this could be a disadvantage to a rogue since they can only get sneak attack 1/turn and will use it on the crit if they haven't already, while if they have their reaction to attack on someone else's turn they can get it again.

Just doesn't work for me. If you really want a crit boost just add in dice or straight damage or better yet a condition so it's more interesting. If you want to grant an attack maybe go like the Ranger Hunter and grant a free action attack 1/round (not 1/turn), but go with dropping opponent or something as a trigger.

Suggested power to add: You may draw a dagger as a free action with any dagger attack.

This allows thrown daggers with extra attacks, allows you to not have a weapon out and then try to convince the DM to give you surprise attack if you aren't in combat, be able to take an opportunity attack if you've thrown your daggers, etc.

G

Guest 6801328

Mostly agree with Blue.

I'm generally opposed to weapon-specific feats, unless they are weapons that are typically underrepresented. So while I think they overdid it with Polearm Master, I agree with the goal of trying to make that class of weapons more desirable. And I think there should be a Whip Master feat.

But, as Blue points out, the specific mechanics are problematic.

I'll add that reactions on your own turn are rare (in fact I can't think of an example).

An alternative might be: "When wielding only daggers and an enemy within 5' makes a weapon attack against you and misses you, you may make an attack as your reaction."

Note that this would be VERY powerful in the hands of a rogue (or a dagger paladin?), so I definitely wouldn't combine it with a stat bonus.

Also, a Strength bonus for Dagger Master just seems...odd.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've tinkered a bit with Dagger Master based on your advice.

DAGGER MASTER

• Daggers you use have a d6 damage die instead of d4.
• You may draw a dagger as a part of an attack.

The thing I'm stuck with when I look at this new version of the feat, is: Why? Why would anyone even bother to take this feat? Why not just go for the full attribute bonus and use a rapier or short sword? Is the fact that you can throw a dagger really that important? In my campaigns, players really hesitate to do that except in a fight they know they'll win, because they're afraid they would have to run away and leave the magic dagger behind.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The thing I'm stuck with when I look at this new version of the feat, is: Why? Why would anyone even bother to take this feat? Why not just go for the full attribute bonus and use a rapier or short sword?

That's why I'm not a fan of pure math feats. You're trying t take a simple weapon that has better weapons that most people who do melee have proficiency in, and make it interesting. You aren't going to do that with pure math, because you need to overcome the math for the better weapon. You need to give it cool effects they can't get elsewhere.
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] mentioned a Whip feat, and if any weapon just drips with potential to have nifty effects, it's the whip. Trips, swings, grabbing objects, the whole nine yards.

If you want to elevate the dagger to that place where even though it will do less damage than the alternative it's worth not only using a dagger but spending a feat on it, you need to be equally creative.

Perhaps a generic Dagger Master isn't the way to go, because there can be any [Insert Weapon Here] Masters. Instead go with a non-generic option. An order of monks that teach Whisper of the Wind's Edge and have a feat that grants a bunch of dagger stunts. Cutting arrows out of the air, stab-n-climb against tall monsters, a dervish dance move that attacks all adjacent foes.

Be creative.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've tinkered a bit with Dagger Master based on your advice.

DAGGER MASTER

• Daggers you use have a d6 damage die instead of d4.
• You may draw a dagger as a part of an attack.

The thing I'm stuck with when I look at this new version of the feat, is: Why? Why would anyone even bother to take this feat? Why not just go for the full attribute bonus and use a rapier or short sword? Is the fact that you can throw a dagger really that important? In my campaigns, players really hesitate to do that except in a fight they know they'll win, because they're afraid they would have to run away and leave the magic dagger behind.

. . . So what is the purpose of this feat? Why do you think that it needs to exist? What specific lack in your campaign is it filling?

Is it that you want to encourage a bit more subtlety and intrigue from the players rather than stomping around with 50lbs of ironmongery strapped to them? - Give bonuses to conceal and draw daggers from hiding.

Do you have a specific player who has told you that daggers are underpowered and that you need to improve the options for them? - Find out why they think that and so what aspect of them needs to be improved.

Are you going to be introducing feats like this for all weapons, and this is just a 'test case'? - What are the features of a dagger that you want to improve?

Generally daggers are very much an emergency weapon in general combat, used when its your only option. (Confined quarters/wrestling, you're not carrying a real weapon, you need to hit something at a distance etc.) Professional combatants (such as adventurers) probably do have a preference for other weapons given a choice. So think about what special capabilities this feat should give, or which disadvantages of the dagger it should remove, based on why you need such a feat.

. . . So what is the purpose of this feat? Why do you think that it needs to exist? What specific lack in your campaign is it filling?

Is it that you want to encourage a bit more subtlety and intrigue from the players rather than stomping around with 50lbs of ironmongery strapped to them? - Give bonuses to conceal and draw daggers from hiding.

Do you have a specific player who has told you that daggers are underpowered and that you need to improve the options for them? - Find out why they think that and so what aspect of them needs to be improved.

Are you going to be introducing feats like this for all weapons, and this is just a 'test case'? - What are the features of a dagger that you want to improve?

Generally daggers are very much an emergency weapon in general combat, used when its your only option. (Confined quarters/wrestling, you're not carrying a real weapon, you need to hit something at a distance etc.) Professional combatants (such as adventurers) probably do have a preference for other weapons given a choice. So think about what special capabilities this feat should give, or which disadvantages of the dagger it should remove, based on why you need such a feat.
Two players in my campaign love the idea of a fighter / rogue dagger expert. But they will never pick daggers, because they suck. Another player in my campaign is very happy with Polearm Master, constantly saying how wonderful that polearms are finally given mechanical support.

That's why I'm not a fan of pure math feats. You're trying t take a simple weapon that has better weapons that most people who do melee have proficiency in, and make it interesting. You aren't going to do that with pure math, because you need to overcome the math for the better weapon. You need to give it cool effects they can't get elsewhere.

[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] mentioned a Whip feat, and if any weapon just drips with potential to have nifty effects, it's the whip. Trips, swings, grabbing objects, the whole nine yards.

If you want to elevate the dagger to that place where even though it will do less damage than the alternative it's worth not only using a dagger but spending a feat on it, you need to be equally creative.

Perhaps a generic Dagger Master isn't the way to go, because there can be any [Insert Weapon Here] Masters. Instead go with a non-generic option. An order of monks that teach Whisper of the Wind's Edge and have a feat that grants a bunch of dagger stunts. Cutting arrows out of the air, stab-n-climb against tall monsters, a dervish dance move that attacks all adjacent foes.

Be creative.
Yes, I think you have a very good point. I need to try to figure out special maneuvers that are powerful, thematical and yet not overly complex. I'll give it a shot. Now I understand why WoTC hesitate so much creating new feats :)

Two players in my campaign love the idea of a fighter / rogue dagger expert. But they will never pick daggers, because they suck. Another player in my campaign is very happy with Polearm Master, constantly saying how wonderful that polearms are finally given mechanical support.

OK. Why do they believe that they suck? Low damage? The campaign/DM doesn't let them make use of their flexibility or concealability? They don't like throwing magical non-returning weapons?

What aspect of the dagger needs to be improved, and/or what kind of new capabilities would the players like the feat to give them?
Ability to throw in melee without disadvantage?
Improved Crit chance with Sneak Attacks?
Ability to draw as part of an attack to enable full dagger throwing options?

Also bear in mind that if you're got a fairly powerful feat, you aren't forced to include ability bonuses to it as well. A bonus to Str or Dex is a good filler, but if the feat is good enough, filler isn't required.

G

Guest 6801328

If you're talking about a rogue then daggers aren't terrible at all. They're barely worse than short swords. Most of your damage comes from sneak attack and stat bonus anyway.

Remove ads