• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Throw and Stab + Howling Strike

kerbarian

Explorer
If this works, it will probably be errata'd or something, but I'm trying to see if it works in the first place.

A hybrid ranger/barbarian takes Throw and Stab, Howling Strike, and Hybrid Talent: Hunter Style. (note: I don't have my PHB3 with me
to check that hybrid talent option).

He starts out wielding a thrown weapon and his empty fist (a melee weapon) and uses Throw and Stab. After the throw, he sheathes the thrown weapon as a free action, quick-draws a two-handed weapon, and charges with Howling Strike, getting quarry damage plus full barbarian damage.

Next turn, if the target is still alive, he can move back (provoking an OA, though there are ways to mitigate that), sheathe the two-hander as a free action, re-draw the thrown weapon, rinse and repeat.

DracoSuave

First Post
If this works, it will probably be errata'd or something, but I'm trying to see if it works in the first place.

A hybrid ranger/barbarian takes Throw and Stab, Howling Strike, and Hybrid Talent: Hunter Style. (note: I don't have my PHB3 with me
to check that hybrid talent option).

He starts out wielding a thrown weapon and his empty fist (a melee weapon) and uses Throw and Stab. After the throw, he sheathes the thrown weapon as a free action, quick-draws a two-handed weapon, and charges with Howling Strike, getting quarry damage plus full barbarian damage.

Next turn, if the target is still alive, he can move back (provoking an OA, though there are ways to mitigate that), sheathe the two-hander as a free action, re-draw the thrown weapon, rinse and repeat.

I don't see how this is much different than Throw and Stab and Marauder's Rush, except that Throw and Stab into Marauder's Rush is 1[W] into 1[W]+Str+Wis rather than 1[W]+Str+1d6, and that T+S->MR gives two chances to Hunter's Quarry, compared to one, using a Farbond Spellblade Fullblade.

In otherwords, if the single class option does more damage, the hybrid option isn't exactly 'finding the broken combo'

DracoSuave

First Post
The point being... not only does it work as you claim, how you're going about it is the suboptimal way of doing what you describe.

And the more optimal way is 'use the build as described in the MP2'

kerbarian

Explorer
I don't see how this is much different than Throw and Stab and Marauder's Rush, except that Throw and Stab into Marauder's Rush is 1[W] into 1[W]+Str+Wis rather than 1[W]+Str+1d6, and that T+S->MR gives two chances to Hunter's Quarry, compared to one, using a Farbond Spellblade Fullblade.
My understanding is that you need to wield two weapons for Throw and Stab, not just one weapon that's both a thrown weapon and a melee weapon. Has there been any clarification on that?

You could do the same weapon-switching trick with a pure ranger, but then you'd have far fewer options to make use of the fullblade with encounter and daily powers.

Overall, though, yeah, not a huge difference doing it as a barbarian/ranger vs. A pure ranger.

DracoSuave

First Post
My understanding is that you need to wield two weapons for Throw and Stab, not just one weapon that's both a thrown weapon and a melee weapon. Has there been any clarification on that?

You could do the same weapon-switching trick with a pure ranger, but then you'd have far fewer options to make use of the fullblade with encounter and daily powers.

Overall, though, yeah, not a huge difference doing it as a barbarian/ranger vs. A pure ranger.

That might be true.

Farbond Spellblade Bastard Sword then, and a spiked gauntlet that never gets used.

Remove ads