Thumbs up on the new three-column front page layout

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
As someone who primarily accesses the site on mobile, I will say that the main page takes a really long time to load up, now, and it won't let me click the hamburger to get to the dropdown with access to the forums until things load. I'm talking like a minute+ sometimes to get things going. Sounds kind of petty typing it out, but that minute feels like a long time when you're used to sites loading right up!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As someone who primarily accesses the site on mobile, I will say that the main page takes a really long time to load up, now, and it won't let me click the hamburger to get to the dropdown with access to the forums until things load. I'm talking like a minute+ sometimes to get things going. Sounds kind of petty typing it out, but that minute feels like a long time when you're used to sites loading right up!
Load time is a very big deal for websites. I'm sure one of the Web pros around here knows the precise stats, but even the difference of a few seconds apparently can mean huge losses of revenue for commercial sites.

Ondath

Hero
I think the little snippets of text were quite useful for getting a preview of the news articles, so I'm a bit bummed those have gone away. Thumbs slightly down on my end as well.

DonatoVT

Villager
Yeah, that's what I've experienced as well. I'm primarily on an iPad and the load times went through the roof.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I also say ditch the scrolling banner. I am used to the newest article being at the top, but the banner begins with the oldest article in the deck. Even if you could reverse that to begin with the newest, my eye can scan the articles faster than the scrolling banner scrolls.

Load time is a very big deal for websites. I'm sure one of the Web pros around here knows the precise stats, but even the difference of a few seconds apparently can mean huge losses of revenue for commercial sites.
Luckily, as D&D players, we are used to waiting - e.g. when other people take half an hour to complete their turn in combat ;)
More seriously, I also perceive the performance to be notably worse recently. I hope this is one of the things Morrus can optimize again, because waiting multiple seconds for things to load is not a lot of fun.

Remove ads