• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Thunderscape: the World of Aden [Kickstarter]

Shawn Carman

Explorer
We've passed the $16k stretch goal! Double the art budget! It will be glorious.

We've also updated our add-on menu. If you prefer your books on PDF only, you can now pledge that $15 and get the core book and a module, AND you can add the second and third modules and/or the GM Screen in PDF form for $10 each. A sum total of $45 could get you the core book, three modules, and a digital GM Screen. By Grapthar's Hammer, what a savings!

Shawn Carman

Explorer
Hello, all! Yesterday we updated the Kickstarter with a design essay on the Golemoid Warrior class. Later today we'll be updating again with a design essay on the Mechamage class. If you're interested in learning more about those classes, what they're capable of and what the process of their creation was, we hope you'll check us out and let us know what you think!

Also, we're only a few hundred dollars away from out next stretch goal, which turns the trio of adventures currently planned in the stretch goals into an Adventure Path that everyone gets to share in! It's going to be very cool.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Hi, Shawn. Thanks for having this thread so we can ask you questions. Love your work with L5R. Is Rich Wulf also involved with this project?

I have a rather...difficult question to ask. However, your answer may determine whether I back this or not.

I am not familiar with this property at all. From the video, I noticed a lot of buzz phrases, such as cataclysm, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, etc. Indeed, it has some fantasy tropes to it plus it ties into the increasingly popular steampunk genre. From a marketing standpoint, it sounds like a recipe for success.

Yet, I do not see what makes Thunderscape stand out from various other settings. What is unique about this setting that no other setting has?

Thanks for your time.

Shawn Carman

Explorer
Hi, Shawn. Thanks for having this thread so we can ask you questions. Love your work with L5R. Is Rich Wulf also involved with this project?

Hello! My pleasure. Yes, Rich Wulf is involved with the project. I love Pathfinder and I knew it was the default system I wanted to use for this project, but I also knew that I was not skilled enough with designing mechanics for it to create the kind of professional project I wanted. So I brought Rich in to design for me, and frankly I've rarely made a better decision when it comes to gaming design. His stuff so far has been amazing, and I can't wait to share it with you.

I have a rather...difficult question to ask. However, your answer may determine whether I back this or not.

I am not familiar with this property at all. From the video, I noticed a lot of buzz phrases, such as cataclysm, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, etc. Indeed, it has some fantasy tropes to it plus it ties into the increasingly popular steampunk genre. From a marketing standpoint, it sounds like a recipe for success.

Yet, I do not see what makes Thunderscape stand out from various other settings. What is unique about this setting that no other setting has?

Thanks for your time.

I honestly was not aware those things were buzzwords! Let me see if I can answer your question regardless.

I love Aden. I first found out about it in 1996 when I picked up the Masterbook supplement from WEG and I fell for it quickly. It was my first real exposure to steamtech in fantasy, and I really dug that part. The fact that magic and technology existed separately from one another for so long, then were finally combined in the form of mechamagic, was really neat. It opened up a lot of doors for different kinds of characters. The nations were all very cool and had iconic roles, interesting relations, and unique characteristics. It was easy to buy into it without having to spend a lot of time delving into long histories and learning dozens of new proper nouns.

For me, though, the thing that really cinched it was the Darkfall.

The Darkfall is the most significant event in Aden's history, happened only ten years ago, and is a complete mystery. In the span of a single day, a thousand years of peace were completely shattered and the world changed forever. Entire nations were destroyed and new ones rose in their place. Heroes and villains were born, and the fate of the world was altered. Ten years later, the nations of Aden are still struggling to survive, and the peace they have enjoyed for a thousand years is desperately strained not only by the Nocturnals (the supernatural creatures born during the Darkfall), but by the conflicts growing between them as a result of the stress the Darkfall has placed upon them.

I've talked about these things and many others on the Kickstarter, and we'll be talking about a lot more stuff before the week (and the KS!) are over, so I hope if you're interested you'll stop by for a little more information.

Thanks for reading!

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I honestly was not aware those things were buzzwords! Let me see if I can answer your question regardless.

Perhaps "buzzwords" isn't the right phrase. I just know that I've heard these things mentioned in a lot of settings as selling points.

I love Aden. I first found out about it in 1996 when I picked up the Masterbook supplement from WEG and I fell for it quickly. It was my first real exposure to steamtech in fantasy, and I really dug that part. The fact that magic and technology existed separately from one another for so long, then were finally combined in the form of mechamagic, was really neat. It opened up a lot of doors for different kinds of characters. The nations were all very cool and had iconic roles, interesting relations, and unique characteristics. It was easy to buy into it without having to spend a lot of time delving into long histories and learning dozens of new proper nouns.

For me, though, the thing that really cinched it was the Darkfall.

The Darkfall is the most significant event in Aden's history, happened only ten years ago, and is a complete mystery. In the span of a single day, a thousand years of peace were completely shattered and the world changed forever. Entire nations were destroyed and new ones rose in their place. Heroes and villains were born, and the fate of the world was altered. Ten years later, the nations of Aden are still struggling to survive, and the peace they have enjoyed for a thousand years is desperately strained not only by the Nocturnals (the supernatural creatures born during the Darkfall), but by the conflicts growing between them as a result of the stress the Darkfall has placed upon them.

I've talked about these things and many others on the Kickstarter, and we'll be talking about a lot more stuff before the week (and the KS!) are over, so I hope if you're interested you'll stop by for a little more information.

Thanks for reading!

Okay, cool. I like the theme of technology meets magic, and having the two merge is neat.

I'll keep an eye on this and give it some thought. I'll be more likely to support to back if the psionics stretch goal looks close.

Thanks, Shawn. I appreciate your time.

knottyprof

First Post
Honestly, this Kickstarter gives you a lot of bang for your buck. I already pledged at the 60$ level because I want hard copies of the campaign book and adventure path (you have an already made campaign from start to finish). I really do hope they can make it to the 21K level for the Psionics stuff because I like the Dreamscarred Press version of Psionics for Pathfinder (I did back their Ultimate Psionics kickstarter). I hadn't heard of the video game(s) referenced but a game world that mixes horror with steam fantasy sounds very intriguing and I am looking for a decent supplement that handles it well.
Looking forward to the finished products (hope they can be out by Christmas for the Campaign book and first module of the adventure path).

Tyrielwow

First Post
Final day of the Thunderscape Kickstarter!! We have broken almost all the stretch goals!! Lets make the last few happen also!! I know everyone wants that Fifth new core class!! :D. There are really nice stretch goals already cleared, class guides for four new core classes with first one free for backers. Psionic book, mini-modules for quick gaming sessions, GM-Screen, etc.. Also previews of all the four new classes are in updates with few bits of information about history and world of Aden, and atleast for me these little pieces of information make me want the full book as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Remove ads