Tiamat and Bahamut--Why Use Real World Mythology?

Kobu

First Post
What exactly is the point here? The Tiamat vs. Bahamut thing makes no sense in regards to well-known mythology, and throwing in that weird thing about Io splitting makes it even more confusing. Tiamat is the one who was split into two and Bahamut has nothing to do with Tiamat. You might as well throw in Amaterasu as their bratty teenage daughter along with their wacky neighbor Odin.

Show some originality and imagination here Wizards. It's 4E, you've went and redone most of the cosmology already, so what's keeping you from making up original names for your gods?

Derren

Hero
You complain that WotC should not name their deities after real world mythology but then you complain when the D&D deities don't behave exactly like in the real world mythology.

Decide what you want, more or less real world mythology references.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Tiamat and Bahamut are iconic D&D deities/monsters, dating back to 1e. I think they're some of the best implied setting stuff the game has had, and I for one would be sorry to see them gone.

As for your complaint that they aren't like their mythological namesakes, I think that's a moot point. Bahamut or Behemoth is a giant sea monster, as was Tiamat; appropriating the cool names for primeval dragon deities is perfectly fine and dandy with me.

Green Knight

First Post
Check out the wikipedia for the D&D version of Tiamat HERE. The D&D version of Tiamat is substantially different from the mythological version and has been around in the D&D mythos for years. Tiamat (and Bahamut) is an iconic D&D figure. Here's a pic of the Aspect of Tiamat in the D&D Miniatures line.

2256406Tiamat1.jpg

Another picture of Tiamat.

2256407Tiamat2.jpg

And here's an illustration of just how far back Tiamat goes in D&D history. Here's a picture of a Tiamat toy from the mid-80's, as well as Tiamat from the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon from the 80's.

2256408Tiamat3.jpg

2256409Tiamat4.gif

The Tiamat vs. Bahamut thing makes no sense in regards to well-known mythology, and throwing in that weird thing about Io splitting makes it even more confusing.

There's nothing weird about it, because in D&D lore, Io, the creator god of dragons, is the father of both Tiamat and Bahamut.

Klaus

First Post
Kobu said:
What exactly is the point here? The Tiamat vs. Bahamut thing makes no sense in regards to well-known mythology, and throwing in that weird thing about Io splitting makes it even more confusing. Tiamat is the one who was split into two and Bahamut has nothing to do with Tiamat. You might as well throw in Amaterasu as their bratty teenage daughter along with their wacky neighbor Odin.

Show some originality and imagination here Wizards. It's 4E, you've went and redone most of the cosmology already, so what's keeping you from making up original names for your gods?
If by "well known" you mean "no one actually ever heard about outside some muthology enthusiats", I'd agree.

As it stands, D&D's Tiamat is far more well known to the general audience than her real-world namesake.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I think it'd be safe to say that they are equally unknown to the 'general audience'. I have met people who've never heard of D&D much less one of its deities.

Zweischneid

First Post
Klaus said:
If by "well known" you mean "no one actually ever heard about outside some muthology enthusiats", I'd agree.

As it stands, D&D's Tiamat is far more well known to the general audience than her real-world namesake.

Maybe... but everyone obviously knows the swedish gothic-rock band of that name! Or not?

Klaus

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
I think it'd be safe to say that they are equally unknown to the 'general audience'. I have met people who've never heard of D&D much less one of its deities.
The D&D cartoon has been a cult hit here (and THE gateway to fantasy for kids 8-12) for the past 20 years (it is constantly airing here in prime kid time -- it's on right now). That has increased the exposure of "Tiamat The Dragon" (as it is called).

If WotC really wants to push D&D's exposure (and attract new kids as gamers), a D&D cartoon with Avatar quality should be a paramount pripority.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Eh, Tiamat and Bahumet are their own things now in D&D. It's kind of like riding Howard for stealing all his placenames from actual places, but then re-working them to his own designs. Greenwood did it for the Realms as well.

Remove ads