• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiles? Terrain? Battlemats?

Zoatebix

Working on it
I've got one of those two-sided chessex things, wet-erase markers, and Fiery Dragon counters, but I've been thinking of checking out tact-tiles and this new Flip-Mat thing from Steel Sqwire.

Glyfair

Explorer
Mainly, we have a battlemat we use. However, there are many other options. The D&D miniatures maps make nice battlefields when appropriate, as well as the tiles from the earlier miniatures sets.

We also have some 3D terrain for special situations. I have a large number of the MK Dungeons 3D tiles for "dungeon delve" type sessions. They aren't as detailed as the Dwarven Forge figures, but were far less expensive.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Zoatebix said:
this new Flip-Mat thing from Steel Sqwire.

That's what I have been using and it works just fine. I like being able to just put it in my book bag. I've seen that "forest path" one, too, by them and it looks very nice.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Mark CMG said:
[In regardds to the Steel Sqwire Flip-Mat] That's what I have been using and it works just fine. I like being able to just put it in my book bag. I've seen that "forest path" one, too, by them and it looks very nice.
I'll have to get one, then! They're certainly more affordable than Tact-Tiles

Mean DM

Explorer
I love building gaming props almost as much as gaming itself :). It is truly a hobby on its own. I have made good use out of the card stock models from Worldworks Games. Although a tad bit time consuming (not a bad thing in my book), they are fairly easly to build. For example, here is my prop ship. It has gotten used multiple times with great effect and was well worth the time to build. And this is and example of some buildings in use along with a "kit bash" (the customized round building in the middle).

Mark

pogre

Legend
I enjoy painting miniatures and creating terrain so I use master maze mixed with Hirst Arts molds stuff. The digital stuff is neat, but my group prefers models and 3D terrain.

That's a heck of a deal on Mastermaze. Grab it and put it on ebay. You'll make a buck or two.

Sammael

Adventurer
Steel_Wind said:
Say what you want about any of the alternatives - nothing touches digital tabletop projecton for detail, speed and ease of use in game.
I'll give you detail. Ease of use is debatable, because the system you're using isn't portable (and my group alternates between playing locations). However, speed is the one advantage you don't have over the classic battlemat approach. How long does it take you to make a good-looking map in the NWN toolkit? It takes me fifteen seconds to a minute to scribble the combat area on the battlemat. There's no way you could beat that.

But the projector sure looks pretty and is a good solution for independently rich gamers.

Last edited:

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
i went to a store for teachers supplies and got a gridded dry erase plastic matt thing. Then i use coins instead of minis. between pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and the 50cent and dollar coins you can get from the post office you have 12 different types when you figure heads and tails being different beasties. That has been plenty for any encounter we have had.

FolcoTook

First Post
I use a couple 16x20 poster frames I got a Wal Mart for about $6 each. I then printed up a 1" grid and put that in the frame. The frame edges are thin enough (probably about 1 mm) that you can put the two together when needed to make one 32x20 or 16x40 area. The frame has a glass front and I use vis-a-vis wet erase markers to draw on them.

What I like about them is that they are very solid and sturdy, the down side is they don't have the portability of the Chessex or Steel Squire type maps. Since we usually play at my house, portability isn't really an issue for me.

-FT

Remove ads