D&D 5E Time to remake the Bard

Yaarel

He Mage
What do you think of more limited casting, but allowing the bard to chose spells from ANY class?

For 5E, they still have their own list, but can raid from anywhere else. With the restricted spells and possible slots if a Warlock-like build, I think it might be okay and a fun option.

Designwise, a FULLCASTER class cannot lose its spells and the result be remotely balanced.

Start from scratch, and build up from there.

Rogue is a good chassis with an example of what a third caster can look like.

Even the Fighter with a Charisma version of Eldritch Knight might work well − while beefing up skill options.

Tony Vargas

Legend
For 5E, they still have their own list, but can raid from anywhere else. With the restricted spells and possible slots if a Warlock-like build, I think it might be okay and a fun option.
I think there's been a "spellthief" at some point....

...I do like the idea of bards short-rest recharging & not going to has high slot levels, like the warlock. The idea of more eclectic spell selection is also a nice one. Maybe balance it with a chance of spells going slightly wrong? Or let the bard change out known spells more readily than other non-prepped casters?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
What do you think of more limited casting, but allowing the bard to chose spells from ANY class?

If you're going to let them raid semi-freely, I would limit it to their spell list + the Wizard list for the raided spells as that is their basis for casting back to 2e.

The Warlock chassis is an interesting idea for casting, though I'd still give them their normal # of spells known just the limited slots of the warlock and the short rest recharge mechanic of it.

aco175

Legend
I agree that any class is too much. I would limit to wizard, cleric, and druid. I'm still having problems with the bard picking paladin spells at 6th level and them being overpowered compared to 9-level caster spells.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am looking for ideas on how to remake the bard into something I would actually want to play.

What are you, Ming the Merciless?

How about you do some more work (a LOT more work) yourself first on things you might be interested in playing and post that there for comment rather than declaring "I don't like this thing. You others, make something which might amuse me. You know what I like, just don't tell me I am wrong for asking because you will be wasting my time to do so. And we wouldn't want that now, would we?"

Sounds like a good option for players who want a Bard-like alternative.

Arcane Trickster with more customizability, to focus on Vicious Mockery instead of Mage Hand. Even allowing Cha as the casting ability to substitute Int. Call it Troubadour. With Rogue as a chassis, what else would the Troubadour need to satisfy the player niche?

As for the 5e Bard − I love it! It is awesome! Best Bard ever.
That is a good name.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sounds like a good option for players who want a Bard-like alternative.

Arcane Trickster with more customizability, to focus on Vicious Mockery instead of Mage Hand. Even allowing Cha as the casting ability to substitute Int. Call it Troubadour. With Rogue as a chassis, what else would the Troubadour need to satisfy the player niche?

As for the 5e Bard − I love it! It is awesome! Best Bard ever.

Arcane Trickster, Variant Human, Entertainer Background, Magic Initiate Feat to get a few Bardic spells like VM. Done.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases