• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Timmy, Johnny, Spike, and Vorthos

What type of D&D player are you?

• Johnny

Votes: 55 63.2%
  • Spike

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Timmy

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • Vorthos

Votes: 26 29.9%

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
Let's just hope that this edition doesn't have it's own Jace the Mind sculptor or Stoneforge Mystics.

*Notes Tom Lapille moved to D&D R&D*

Well this edition is screwed.

Incenjucar

Legend
Very centric, but with emphasis on Johnny. I heavily, heavily focus on story and character, but I'll still make the DM cry when I'm feeling feisty. I'm quite effective at finding the optimal way to communicate my character idea. My deva invoker of love who turns into a rakshasa-like tiger using druid multiclass may shoot heart beams and have rounds which I literally describe as a disco dance party (Searing Orb+Tide of the First Storm=
Everybody dance!" *clap clap*), but he also nullifies threats like mad.

Teataine

Explorer
Actually, I think if you try to map the player types from the Revisited article onto GNS, then Timmy is the simulationist and Spike is the gamist...at least in terms of motivation. Sim or Right to Dream is about getting the right experience. Nar or Story Now is about expressing or saying something. Gam or Step on Up is about proving yourself.

But MtG is not an RPG, so there are obvious differences. The subtypes Rosewater lists don't really work in this context.

The thing about GNS is also that it doesn't really describe people as such. If you try to do that, it becomes a Rorschach test, a blank slate where you read yourself into something.

Personally, I'm motivated by all three (or four) types. It's not really which type of player you are it's about which motivations you prioritize during play, as a group.

That's a roundabout way of saying I picked all four.

Mokona

First Post
Actually, I think if you try to map the player types from the Revisited article onto GNS, then Timmy is the simulationist and Spike is the gamist.
The map isn't perfect anyway because of Vorthos. I'd say Vorthos is "Story Now" and, yes, Spike is Gamist. That leaves both Johnny and Timmy as Simulationist. Timmy could be a little Gamist as well. Purity isn't important.

Remove ads