Tips for Creating a Metagame Economy

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Also there is a sort of weird thing to think about is that the Romans constantly changed the purity of the silver in their coins as a way to inflate their value.
If the setting has creatures like Dwarves in it, this would get caught and called out real fast. :) That currency would become worthless for anything other than very local trade until its purity was brought back up to snuff.
So that horde of coins could simply not be spent as money, only sold as for its metallic value, and only then in a larger city, probably capital of a kingdom.
And if the purity was uncertain, you wouldn't know that metallic value until the coins had been melted down...which probably costs money to have done for you unless you've a metalsmith in the party and access to a forge oven.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
If the setting has creatures like Dwarves in it, this would get caught and called out real fast. :) That currency would become worthless for anything other than very local trade until its purity was brought back up to snuff.

And if the purity was uncertain, you wouldn't know that metallic value until the coins had been melted down...which probably costs money to have done for you unless you've a metalsmith in the party and access to a forge oven.
All this, pretty much. Plus if the pc's were to find say a dragon's hoard of coins, the prior owner's ownership probably would take precedence, and maybe the players would be granted a small finders fee, or maybe not. This depending on how one wants to run a game. I was reading something else about a realistic Arthurian game, and that's interesting, because I don't think any proper English historians believe Arthur was real; just as an example.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
All this, pretty much. Plus if the pc's were to find say a dragon's hoard of coins, the prior owner's ownership probably would take precedence, and maybe the players would be granted a small finders fee, or maybe not. This depending on how one wants to run a game . . .
Whoa whoa whoa . . . no dragon hoards! I'm looking for metagame economy - how to game the money in the game.

That said, "dragon hoard" might be a good excuse for significant economy changes...

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Whoa whoa whoa . . . no dragon hoards! I'm looking for metagame economy - how to game the money in the game.

That said, "dragon hoard" might be a good excuse for significant economy changes...
While dragon's hoard sounds cool, it's only another way of saying a huge cache, which still are found today. I think it is up to you as to how you want the economy to be, though there is plenty of weird stuff in history if one wants add that in. Example, Tulip Mania: Tulip mania - Wikipedia

Remove ads