• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To ALL ENWorlders: Did you play 1E AD&D?

Did you play or DM 1E AD&D?

• Yes

Votes: 315 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 20.5%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A Passing Maniac said:
For the most part older gamers have treated me, and the peers I've introduced to the game, rather well, but every once in a while we run into some real jerks. Haven't seen anything like that on ENWorld so far, though. Ye olde fogies here seem quite nice. ;)
Well, testosterone levels go down as one ages. Plus, you know, grognards have to take a lot of naps.

Keldryn

Adventurer
Yes. I started with BECM D&D in 1986, then moved on to AD&D 1st Edition within the first year, although I continued to use the "Known World" and some bits from BECM for a while. Later moved on to 2nd Edition AD&D and then the Player's Option books before losing interest until 3rd Edition came out.

Agamon

Adventurer
A Passing Maniac said:
It really is too bad that I have met some veteran gamers who say that sort of thing and actually mean it (though they leave out the bit acknowledging that without new blood the game they love so much will eventually be dead, of course).

For the most part older gamers have treated me, and the peers I've introduced to the game, rather well, but every once in a while we run into some real jerks. Haven't seen anything like that on ENWorld so far, though. Ye olde fogies here seem quite nice. ;)

While that is good news, we do want to make you feel more at home. So...

Get lost, newb! You suck!

:p

Agamon

Adventurer
Oh, right. The topic. I voted yes, because it is true. I started playing B/E in '81 and soon turned to AD&D in '82.

I think that's the 100th time I've mentioned that here, what do I win?

Voadam

Legend
Started with Red Book Basic, played and DMd 1e for years and years, then 2e, then 3e, and 3.5. I only used a tiny bit of 2.5 player option things at the end to allow the ability score splitting so PC scores didn't have to be so over the top for any good mechanical bonuses.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I didn't start playing until 2nd edition was out, so I voted no. Granted, the 2e games that I've been a player or DM in have used a healthy amount of 1e. But a pure 1e game with no alteration...no (unfortunately).

I would be willing to give it a try if opportunity presented itself.

messy

Explorer
yep, but only once or twice.

but despite my limited experience, i've got some pretty vivid memories about those games. :cool:

messy

The Hound

Explorer
I started with the old version that had hobbits it. The GM made copies of the manual for everone and passed it around. Then we all switched to AD&D as soon as it came out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads