• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To ALL ENWorlders: Did you play 1E AD&D?

Did you play or DM 1E AD&D?

• Yes

Votes: 315 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 20.5%

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Did I play? My Sunday night group still does - in the twenty-five and a half years that we've been together we've never seen any great reason to change. (Note - I have played in 3E groups as well and have run a number of D20 games.)

Started with basic D&D, then switched to AD&D.

I voted "Yes", but I never used many of the rules - for example, encumbrance, weapon speeds and weapons vs armour was simply ignored.

hagor

First Post
Nope, I started playing in the early nineties with AD&D 2E and then (a considerable time after 3e came) out switched to 3.x.

Hagor

GQuail

Explorer
No, I got into D&D relatively late, being a young 'un ;-) : mid nineties with the basic game. (The black box/red dragon "Zanzer Tem" one)

I do, however, own all the orange-spined AD&D core rules and loads of the expansions courtesy of eBay, and intend to take a break from 3.X and try them out sometime for a laugh.

For similar reasons I own older versions of Warhammer and suchlike - I find the old books sometimes good for inspiration, sometimes good to see how the rules have changed, and sometimes good because they can be just as much fun as the new versions. :D

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I did, from the day it came out until the day 2E came out. Of course the first part was a bit hard since they released the MM a year before the PHB, which was released a year before the DMG. Since the DMG had rules about combat and the tables and such we really couldn't use the previous two years worth of books all that well but we did our best; most . When the MM came out, we were all trying to divine what changes and such were coming; some things about our OD&D game changed right then.

delericho

Legend
Very briefly. My very first game was AD&D1. I played a thief. The game last all of six sessions, each an hour long, and then it ended when the DM disappeared. I later learned that he'd gone to university, and ran out of free time when the term started.

After that, I DM'ed BD&D from the Red box (through as far as the Companion set), for eighteen months, then moved to 2nd Edition, to 3rd, and then to 3.5.

sunrisekid

Explorer
I played 1E back in the late 80s during junior high. Best rule book had to be Deities & Demigods, for all the scantily clad goddesses :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I read a lot of it, played a little "straight", played with late 1st edition era suplements (this was a mixed bag), and mixed a good dose into 2nd edition to give that game some much needed flavour.

And I am still using bits and pieces, and will probably do so into 4th edition and beyond.

BUT: as touched in another one of these threads, I don't anybody anybody that played it completely "by the book". If you did that poll, and got true answers (keeping in mind that many people did not know the rules they where not using or changing), the fraction would be much smaller.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads