• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Munch or not to Munch... that is the question

Bluewolf

First Post
Is munching necessarily a bad thing?

Players usually break down into the stereotypical three groups that we all know and love, but is munching really necessary? Although interpretation of Dungeons and Dragons may differ I assume the game to be one that allows a person to play a character that may or may not be different to their own. It is possible to expand upon this and define it precisely, but according to this vague definition munchkins simply do not fit into this basic standard. Munching is a concept that spoils rather than enhances a campaign. In my opinion it can almost make campaign unbearable to play.

Munching simply isn't required, for a Player shouldn't simply base his or her character solely on how many bonuses they may achieve from the combination of feats, skills and class. A character, such as one that is a tactful combination of feats, skills and class, may lead into two problematic areas. Firstly the character would be hollow, unmotivated and simply be a device to make a task set by the DM easier. The character concept would be difficult to play. The DM would certainly find it difficult to motivate the character as it may not have the proper framework. All characters within Dungeons and Dragons should have some sort of background, even if it does play to the usual stereotypes.

The second is that other players within the group will tend to feel inadequate as a munchkin usually covers all area of play. Role-players and 'Real-men' tend to fulfil each sphere of the Dungeons and Dragons world i.e. social and physical abilities. Munchkins on the other hand would have the same if not better abilities than both. Thereby in both combat and social roles s/he would dominate the group, barring others from properly playing their character concepts.

Class choice is another obvious example which munchkins tend to abuse. Firstly their basis of choice is objective rather than the subjective view of the character which they play. Therefore they can take classes which seem absurd to their concept character, yet yield the highest rate of return.

Would it be unacceptable to place certain rules on the way in which the Player's character levels up i.e. the Player has a justification for the character to either, multiclass or divulge into various areas.

Or do munchkins actually have a proper place within the framework of Dungeons and Dragons?

Bluewolf

Limper

First Post
..... from Munchkins it was born.

By the way LAST month was Munchkin month... this month the topic of choice is Players vs DMs in any flavor imaginable.:D

Remove ads