To recap or not to recap

Do you recap the story so far at the beginning of your session?

• I have one keen player who does a recap for the others

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is a recap?

Votes: 0 0.0%

I can remember a few adventures as far back as 1e, and more and more as time continued. The BECMI era only exists as a handful of moments, only vaguely remembered. I still have some of my adventure and campaign notes from 2e, and really ought to take a look at them and see if they bring anything back.

My brother tells me I killed off his first D&D character ever, a cleric, on his first adventure, with a falling rock trap. I've absolutely zero memory of this.

Sometimes my old players will mention something from our 2e or 3e days, and it doesn't ring a bell at all, I have no recollection of it happening. But if i had written it down I would have remembered!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My game runs twice a month, in theory, but sometimes we have to miss a session. Moreover, it is a Gumshoe game, so there's a significant amount of investigation involved. Remembering those details for weeks or a month is more than I can ask of the players, so we definitely do at least a, "When we last left our intrepid crew...." and more reminders if they ask for it.

Some of the events of the past are coming back with their results now... so they have to remember back a year and more - there will be more recapping....

I

Immortal Sun

I think it should have been a multiple option poll. It is not the same in all campaigns. It really depends on the frequency of play sessions.

I play weekly and we still recap. I mean, how often would you need to play for little or no recap? Daily?

You didn't say anything at all really, only that there needed to be more options. You still haven't said what particular options you'd like to have.

Options such as?????

The options I need are there but i need to chose multiple options.
Sometimes a short recap is useful as we do in our weekly group.
In other groups that meet only ecery few weeks or sometimes month either I do a recap with important things that happened or a dedicated player does.

I don't get why you use so many question marks. Sounds quite unfriendly.

I

Immortal Sun

The options I need are there but i need to chose multiple options.
Sometimes a short recap is useful as we do in our weekly group.
In other groups that meet only ecery few weeks or sometimes month either I do a recap with important things that happened or a dedicated player does.
Well, I suppose you could have just said that to begin with.

I don't get why you use so many question marks. Sounds quite unfriendly.
Not intentional, it was supposed to be more a "fill in the blank" like "Options such as XYZ?"

Remove ads