To recap or not to recap

Do you recap the story so far at the beginning of your session?

• I have one keen player who does a recap for the others

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is a recap?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Well, I suppose you could have just said that to begin with.

Not intentional, it was supposed to be more a "fill in the blank" like "Options such as XYZ?"

I could and I am not unwilling to elaborate if someone asks nicely.
Often though: "depends on the frequency" is enough to satisfy many people's curiousity.

Huh, I guess I imagined that every DM would have a preferred style? :)

Ok. I prefer if a dedicated player takes notes. But I can't endorce it. I also don't like to be the dedicated player myself. I also think in some groups it better to have everyone recall the past events or me as a DM do a short recap. I could vote for desicated player if you want.

Edit: I voted fir player recap and I remind them on what they forgot. Maybe that encompasses most variants.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Ok. I prefer if a dedicated player takes notes. But I can't endorce it. I also don't like to be the dedicated player myself. I also think in some groups it better to have everyone recall the past events or me as a DM do a short recap. I could vote for desicated player if you want.

Edit: I voted fir player recap and I remind them on what they forgot. Maybe that encompasses most variants.

Cool, sorry I closed the poll down to one option.

S'mon

Legend
I have players write up session accounts, I have a blog for each game. In the Angry GM article that inspired this these are specifically discounted though since he doesn't think players will read them - and indeed they are primarilyfor my own benefit and enjoyment. I think the kind of player who does not remember and does not read account will not pay attention to a comprehensive recap either so it seems a bit pointless to me. Whereas if I say "So, you are doing X" it may jog their memory and may prompt questions, if they care.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Sometimes we recap, if necessary But it's a group thing—DM & players alike—we're each just trying to remember what happened the week before... Because we're old and did too many drugs when we were young. ;)

Remove ads