• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To recap or not to recap

Do you recap the story so far at the beginning of your session?

• I have one keen player who does a recap for the others

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is a recap?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Well, I suppose you could have just said that to begin with.

Not intentional, it was supposed to be more a "fill in the blank" like "Options such as XYZ?"

I could and I am not unwilling to elaborate if someone asks nicely.
Often though: "depends on the frequency" is enough to satisfy many people's curiousity.

Huh, I guess I imagined that every DM would have a preferred style? :)

Ok. I prefer if a dedicated player takes notes. But I can't endorce it. I also don't like to be the dedicated player myself. I also think in some groups it better to have everyone recall the past events or me as a DM do a short recap. I could vote for desicated player if you want.

Edit: I voted fir player recap and I remind them on what they forgot. Maybe that encompasses most variants.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Ok. I prefer if a dedicated player takes notes. But I can't endorce it. I also don't like to be the dedicated player myself. I also think in some groups it better to have everyone recall the past events or me as a DM do a short recap. I could vote for desicated player if you want.

Edit: I voted fir player recap and I remind them on what they forgot. Maybe that encompasses most variants.

Cool, sorry I closed the poll down to one option.

S'mon

Legend
I have players write up session accounts, I have a blog for each game. In the Angry GM article that inspired this these are specifically discounted though since he doesn't think players will read them - and indeed they are primarilyfor my own benefit and enjoyment. I think the kind of player who does not remember and does not read account will not pay attention to a comprehensive recap either so it seems a bit pointless to me. Whereas if I say "So, you are doing X" it may jog their memory and may prompt questions, if they care.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Sometimes we recap, if necessary But it's a group thing—DM & players alike—we're each just trying to remember what happened the week before... Because we're old and did too many drugs when we were young. ;)

Remove ads