log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E To Sail the Olympian Sea: 5E [IC]

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
OOC
Setting and Character Info

The sun is setting as the last hobgoblin falls. Arthros, badly wounded Hobgoblin Leader, is rowing his skiff towards the Dominion dreadnaught. The battle was helped when the apparent slave sailors, inspired by your heroics, fought back against the hobgoblins. One of the slaves, a dwarf, distinguished himself in the battle, he seems to be cut from a different stock.

You must now figure out your own path to destiny.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

GreenKarl

First Post
The young Menekhet cleaned the blood off of his sword on the closes fallen hobgoblin. He was most impressed by the warrior-woman Freya and nodded his thanks to her. He looked about his other fellow slaves and wondered aloud "I wonder if any of us can sail a ship? Cause I don't"
 

Shayuri

First Post
Seelia socked her rapier back in its sheathe and shaded her eyes as she looked up the mast at the flapping edges of the sail.

"How hard could it be?" she wondered aloud. "Someone go turn the wheel, and the rest of us can blow as hard as we can! We'll make shore by supper!"
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Gamil looked around, his hands still gripping the boarding axe he had lifted from the armory. He had managed to pick its lock and armed some of the slaves. He wasn't the greatest of warrior, but his father's training had served him well. There seemed to be a core group that had done the bulk of the fighting, and were more industrious than the others... not broken yet. Sellswords of some sort? He owed them a debt he had to admit.

"Well met. I, like most dwarves, am a poor sailor. In fact I've been locked below for quite some time, I'm not even sure where we are!

I am Gamil Illbrew, of the Sordot Clan. I can't sail your boat, but I can provide some healing salves, I think we have a few wounded. I, of course, am a smith, so I can help with that too. ...I suppose I could brew some ale as well, but perhaps now is not the time"

Gamil looks around - what does he see? Are we by a coast, in the open ocean, what is the weather like? Edit: are there any wounded?
 
Last edited:

TallIan

Explorer
Pyrlig
rogue 1, warlock 3

Pyrlig surveyed the deck, comparing the number of dead sailors to live ones. A dwarf stepped forward, Pyrlig remembered him from the combat - quite handy, and introduced himself. Pyrlig appraised him, a smith and a brewer? Not much use on a ship, but Pyrlig couldn't hold that against him, hunting and foraging weren't much more useful at sea. A healer and a decent fighter, that was for more useful now.

"Best see if there is anything of value in the hold." Pyrlig says to the group he escaped with.

Moving over to the rest of the sailors, Pyrlig asked, "How many are needed to sail this bucket? They have been whipped but that is no guarantee that they won't come again, best we get moving." His address is to the group as a whole, but Pyrlig is watching to see who comes forward or, more importantly, if they look to anyone before coming forward.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
AC: 15 (12 Studded leather + 3 DEX)
HP: 33/33 (HD 4/4 d8)

Initiative: +3
Rapier:+5 to hit 5 ft 1d8+3S
Dagger:+5 to hit5 ft 1d4+3P
Dagger:+5 to hit20/601d4+3P
Eldritch Blast: +5 to hit 120 ft 1d10+3
Spell attack: +5 to hit Spell DC: 15
Spell Attack Modifier: +5
Spell Save DC: 13

Spells: 2/2 (Level 2)
Healing Potions: 3/3
Rations: 10/10

Char Sheet
[/SBLOCK]
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
You are surrounded by the expanse of the open ocean. The skies are clear. To the stern of the ship, towards the setting sun comes a steady breeze. The skiff has reached the dreadnaught and it is turning away.

About half of the sailors instinctively look to a hale but white bearded member of the group. "I'm Demetrious.", he says. "I guess as I'm the former mate on a ship that many of us were captured from, I'd best take charge of seeing if we can run the ship. The dozen sailors who remain can run the ship, it'd run better with a dozen more, and even some of you land bound folks could pitch in and help with some things."
 

GreenKarl

First Post
"Rab Kosmas, out of Patrynos" Rab replies as introduction. Too Demetrious he says "I am fairly handy with ropes and climbing... I will help in whatever way I can there... Cap'"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Xantos Zakynthos held his tongue for a while. Those hobgoblins had been far better warriors than he expected, and the memory of being knocked out, in front of the others, no less, was shameful. But apart from his silence, the mercenary did not show it.

"Ah, you can brew ale!" Xantos at last speaks in response to the dwarf. "That makes you my new best friend," he says with a grin. Looking at the fierce woman warrior, he adds, "About time I got you a drink!"
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Gamil grinned at the warrior:

"You'll have to give me a few weeks sir warrior, brewing takes time, alas. I could make alcohol quickly out of wood, but wood alcohol is poisonous to the eyes... not worth it I think..."

Gamil posed an instant as he wondered if an antidote to wood alcohol's toxicity would be devised... certainly, but then would it still work? A question worthy of study.... Gamil shook his head and continued.

"... but I digress. I hear you were in the thick of the fighting, would you like a healing draught? The taste is a bit peculiar but it's most efficacious! It's the least I can do"

Gamil turned his head to Pyrlig.

"Well met sir Sorcerer. I agree with you that the other ship is our first concern... maybe we should be on our way? Once we are safely away we can look at that hold, I think some of my equipment is in there..."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Weeks?" Xantos replied. "That must be some good stuff you're making, then. In the meantime, I'll see if the hold has some drink to pass the time."

Softer, the warrior adds, "And a healing salve would be appreciated, friend."
 

TallIan

Explorer
Pyrlig
rogue 1, warlock 3

Pyrlig gives Gamil a nod before looking Demetrius up and down. The assessment was pointless, Pyrlig wouldn't know a good sailor from a bad harlot. "So, who owns it then - or thinks they do?", he asks of Demetrius, "Where is it expected to turn up and when?"

OOC: Hard to RP this in a pbp game, it'll just come out as a battery of questions or take ages posting one or two at a time. Pyrlig is basically trying to assess the risk of keeping the ship. How many people will be looking for it, what sort of area's become no go area's because they will know the ship, etc. OR would it be better to get a lift to shore and leave things at that. He's also trying to assess the deviousness of Demetrius, is he likely to turn on them - or will he be an "honest" pirate?


Pyrlig Insight: 1D20 = [12] = 12


[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
AC: 15 (12 Studded leather + 3 DEX)
HP: 33/33 (HD 4/4 d8)

Initiative: +3
Rapier:+5 to hit 5 ft 1d8+3S
Dagger:+5 to hit5 ft 1d4+3P
Dagger:+5 to hit20/601d4+3P
Eldritch Blast: +5 to hit 120 ft 1d10+3
Spell attack: +5 to hit Spell DC: 15
Spell Save DC: 13

Spells: 2/2 (Level 2)
Healing Potions: 3/3
Rations: 10/10

Char Sheet
[/SBLOCK]
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
30sd1sw.jpg

Prison Ship enroute to Polemphos
Evening

Freya had wandered off and now rejoined the group.

“I can sail the ship,” she said. “It’s not the Kraken’s Bastard, but it will do. Thor’s Hammer, I was getting sick of land!” she said, stretching her lithe, curvaceous form in the fading sunlight after being trapped below for days, her platinum hair catching the rays and sending them shimmering golden around her.

Freya glanced at Demetrious as he claimed the captaincy. “And we should trust that you won’t return us to bonds and slavery?” she asked him, gripping the hilt of her greataxe. She looked over at Xanthos. “Have a nice nap?” she asked, flashing him a flirtatious, teasing smile. “At least nothing important was damaged.” Her storm grey eyes traveled down to his codpiece.

[sblock=Freya’s Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Free:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
AC: 16 (unarmored defense)
HP: 49/49 HD: 4/4d10
Inspiration: 0

Rage: 3/3/LR
Healing Hands: 1/1/LR = 4 hp
Radiant Consumption: 1/1/LR

Racial Spells:
Cantrips: Light
[/sblock]
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Demetrious looks a bit stunned. He protests, "I never said or assumed captaincy. I've heard of the Kraken's Bastard and if you were crazy enough to be part of her crew I'm not gonna challenge you. I only said that I could help keep this ship afloat until we make final decisions. I am sticking my neck out as someone who has worked with this ship and some of the crew before, but I'm not assuming any leadership."

Continuing, he says, "I think the whole ship should be gone over, to see if there is any damage that harms her seaworthiness. Other than that we'll all have to agree what comes next. The ship is an independent merchant out of western Olympia*, the previous captain alternated between slave trading and prisoner transport to the isle of Tarterion**. They'd likely notice our absence there, but no idea what they'd assume. No one is likely to be concerned with the ship itself, just the cargo."

*Western Olympia is a mountainous land with a few good seaports on the Olympian sea. It's considered less civilized than the Olympian League Cities, especially as slavery is not really regulated the way it is in the main Olympian States. I need to make an OOC post on slavery and where and how it is accecpted.

** Tarterion. A hellish, bleak island that serves as a prison for the worst characters.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Xantos grinned back at Freya.

"Nothing to worry about, lass. Excercise makes a man sleepy," the Olympian quips. "Want to help me apply that healing salve?"

The warrior looks at the people who have admitted to have experience sailing. He personally had never heard of the Kraken's Bastard, and neither did he know much about ships.

"If you both know a bit about sailoring, why don't you do it together? I'll help if you can tell me what to do. But first I'll go look for that drink."

With that, Xantos heads for the ship's hold.
 

Shayuri

First Post
"Never fear!" trumpeted the dimunitive gnome. "I, SEELIA NISHNOCKET, will be captain!"

She gestured at the sails and rigging. "Pull some ropes! Swing around on them! Make the big...cloth things go! Someone come up with a jaunty song we can all sing while we do things!"
 

GreenKarl

First Post
Rab also pips up "Well I was only callin' him Captain as I was not sure that any of us could sail... swing around in the ropes and pull up and the sails might look fun but I doubt its going to get us wherever we wants to go..."
 

TallIan

Explorer
Pyrlig
rogue 1, warlock 3

Pyrlig contemplates what Demetrius said, a dependable lieutenant then? Perhaps. Loyal? Harder to judge, everyone's loyalty has a price - not necessarily money.

"So we have a ship, but had best avoid going to Western Olympia. I have no burning need to go there anyway."

He looked at the little gnome as she declared herself captain, "If you like." Pyrlig says dismissively, he didn't really care, so long as they didn't try and order him around. Not being a prominent figure suited him, it was easier not to be noticed and easier to slip away if needed.

Turning his attention back to Demetrius he said, "So then, away from here before that dreadnaught returns to somewhere we can check the ship over and then on to somewhere we can pick up a few more sailors."

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
AC: 15 (12 Studded leather + 3 DEX)
HP: 33/33 (HD 4/4 d8)

Initiative: +3
Rapier:+5 to hit 5 ft 1d8+3S
Dagger:+5 to hit5 ft 1d4+3P
Dagger:+5 to hit20/601d4+3P
Eldritch Blast: +5 to hit 120 ft 1d10+3
Spell attack: +5 to hit Spell DC: 15
Spell Save DC: 13

Spells: 2/2 (Level 2)
Healing Potions: 3/3
Rations: 10/10

Char Sheet
[/SBLOCK]
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Gamil looked around, eyes darting as he tried to follow the conversation. Where these folks beref of name? Apply topically? …. aaah, typical humans. Ah well, it could be worse.

Gamil took a step towards the warrior and extended a hand, holding a small but stout clay vial with a large stopper. The brown clay was covered in both dwarven runes and religious symbols of the Bretonian One God.

"I'm afraid that this potion must be drunk, not applied to the skin sir Warrior. Please drink promptly, the draught will spoil quickly"

OOC: Should Xantos take the vial and drink the contents, he will note a rich sweet barley-like flavor, and gain 2d8 HP. He may be startled however as the vial itself will vanish 2-3 seconds after he has drunk it.

Gamil then looked startled at the gnome's exclamation. He didn't know much about sailing but... surely the gnome was jesting? Still, if we could get moving... aha, good, the sorcerer said the same.
"Yes, let us make way and move away from this other ship... and well met Seelia! "

"And yes, let us go see that hold and see how much supplies we have. We may be lucky and already have stores of alcohol. If not, I will start brewing".
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
30sd1sw.jpg

Prison Ship enroute to Polemphos
Evening

Freya grinned at Demetrius. “Part of the crew? I’m the captain of the Kraken’s Bastard!” she said with a hearty laugh. “And that’s fine. A good mate is hard to find,” she said. “I don’t want to have to flog you and keel-haul you or hang you from the mast, so do a good job, keep the others in line, and we’ll all get along.” She put her hand on the sailor’s shoulder and gave him a good-natured shake as she laughed at Seelia’s outburst.

“Get the crew to give the ship a once-over. Then we need to find a port to lie low, put on supplies, and perhaps change the ship a bit so we’re not recognized.” She looked up at the sails and along the deck. “It’s not the Bastard, but I guess a trireme will have to do in a pinch,” she said with a sigh. “I know a few islands here in the Olympian sea, havens for those who like to avoid...legal entanglements.”

She turned to Gamil. “Thank you for your help, dwarf,” she said, offering her hand. “Freya Ulfric. Guess I’m captain of this ship now. At least until I find the Bastard again.”

[sblock=Freya’s Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Free:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
AC: 16 (unarmored defense)
HP: 49/49 HD: 4/4d10
Inspiration: 0

Rage: 3/3/LR
Healing Hands: 1/1/LR = 4 hp
Radiant Consumption: 1/1/LR

Racial Spells:
Cantrips: Light
[/sblock]
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Strugling to follow the rapid claims on command, Gamil completely misinterpreted Freya's gesture and turned towards her and pressed the clay vial in her extended hand.

"I am only happy to help. You will have to use it before I can produce some more"


(OOC: see above for effects of vial)


Sensing that he might have inadvertently thrown his lot on one side of the leadership debate, Gamil decided to commit. Clearly the diminutive Seelia knew little of how to manage a boat.

"Well met Captain. I am Gamil Illbrew of the Sordot Clan. I am afraid I am not from these part. I was detained on my way home off the coast of Brettonia on trumped-up charges. I've had my fill of legal problems."

Gamil paused... what *kind* of captain was she?!?

"... I'm unfamiliar with the Kraken's Bastard... what kind of vessel was it?"
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top