D&D 3E/3.5 ToB: Bo9S - Nifft's Compendium

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
I'd even say Unnerving Calm is on the weak side. Duels of wills only give a minor benefit, and while UC lets you twink out Concentration even more, whether it's worth giving up a precious feat slot is debatable.

Exactly. It's on the weak side, but very much within the flavor of the class. But adding another feat would make it FOUR feats required by level six (or eight) -- and that's one too many IMHO. So, dropping the skill prereqs and Weapon Finesse, and adding Unnerving Calm instead.

Thanks, -- N

Flamewarrior

First Post
Nifft said:
Lunar Defiance -- Crescent Moon, Counter (Su)
Level: 1

If you would be affected by an effect with the [Charm] or [Compulsion] descriptor (e.g. if you fail your Will save), you can initiate this maneuver to negate the effect and be unaffected.
If you try to use this right after the affect, you may already be unable to do so. If before, how'd you know if you'd be affected? So, I think you'd have to say "if you are affected, you can initiate this maneuver in spite of being under the effect", unless you really want this to be ineffective against some effects.

Nifft said:
Chakra Piercing Star -- Crescent Moon, Strike (Su)
Level: 1

You make a single melee attack as part of this maneuver. If your attack hits, you deal an additional +1d6 damage, and you can make an initiator level check to remove one dispellable effect that grants any kind of AC bonus.
Technically, all those dispellings should read "intiator level check, opposed by the [whatever]".

Nifft said:
Cultural Lead Sheet -- Crescent Moon, Counter
Level: 2

This is one of the few Crescent Moon maneuvers that is not Supernatural. You gain the effect of the undetectable alignment spell for 1 minute.
Since this emulates a spell, some could take it as Sp, or as Ex, as most. Either way, it should be spelled out. Let Belkar know his own abilities, please!

Nifft said:
Aura Piercing Sight -- Crescent Moon, Stance (Su, Divination)
Level: 3
Prereqs: 1

You gain the benefits of detect magic so long as you are in this stance. If you have at least 12 Spellcraft ranks, you can additionally use detect chaos / evil / good / law as a spell-like ability. If you have at least 16 Spellcraft ranks, you gain a +4 bonus to saving throws against Illusion effects. If you have at least 20 Spellcraft ranks, you gain the ability to see invisibility.
Why not detect alignment as Su?

Nifft said:
Opposing Demon -- Crescent Moon, Counter (Su)
Level: 4
Prereqs: 3

One of the most feared counters in the Crescent Moon school, this maneuver allows you to negate a strike targeting you. Make an opposed Martial Lore check; if your result is greater than your opponent's, his strike is expended as normal, but has no effect.
Making the maneuver be expended seems a bit much for me, since anyone with fast means of recovery would whomp martial adepts.

Nifft said:
Lotus Slumber -- Crescent Moon, Strike (Su, Enchantment) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: 5
Prereqs: 2
Range: Touch

The creature touched falls asleep (as though it were the target of the deep slumber spell, but with no hit die limit). The Will save DC for this magical sleep effect is 15 + Int bonus.
It should read "you make a melee touch attack".

Nifft said:
Inertia Sweep -- Crescent Moon, Boost (Su)
Level: 6
Prereqs: 2
Targets: All adjacent foes

If a target has a dispellable speed-enhancing effect, make an Initiator Level check to dispel it. Otherwise, the target must make a Will save (DC 16 + Int bonus) or be Slowed for 1 round.
In most dispels, you say either "one" or "every" effect. What happens here if the target has more than one (hard to happen, I know, but it's so easy to choose either way that I point it anyway)?

Nifft said:
Mind Eclipse Technique -- Crescent Moon, Counter (Su)
Level: 7

You can initiate this maneuver whenever you are targeted by a [Mind-Affecting] or Divination effect (or Clairsentience effect). The effect is automatically negated.
Same as lunar defiance.

Nifft said:
Empty Moon -- Crescent Moon, Strike (Su)
Level: 9
Prereqs: 5
Range: Touch

You make a single touch attack as part of this maneuver. If your attack hits, you can make an Initiator Level check against each dispellable effect on the target, similar to a targeted greater dispel magic. Additionally, your target must succeed on a Will save (DC 19 + Int bonus) or be unable to cast spells for 1 minute. (This restriction does not prevent the target from using magic items, even spell-completion items such as scrolls.)

You can dispel effects on a willing target with a touch that does not scramble spellcasting.
You may want to include (i.e., screw) powers here as well.

That said, could you please take a look at my signature? You'd find something familiar.

hong

WotC's bitch
Opposing Demon -- Crescent Moon, Counter (Su)
Level: 4

One of the most feared counters in the Crescent Moon school, this maneuver allows you to negate a strike targeting you. Make an opposed Martial Lore check; if your result is greater than your opponent's, his strike is expended as normal, but has no effect.

Can you use this on just a normal attack? If so, what happens then?

If it only works on strikes, how do you distinguish a strike from a normal attack? A Martial Lore check perhaps?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
Can you use this on just a normal attack? If so, what happens then?

If it only works on strikes, how do you distinguish a strike from a normal attack? A Martial Lore check perhaps?

Opposing Demon can only be used on a strike (not another maneuver or a regular attack) -- Martial Lore check for sure. I'll put a more explicit mechanic up.

-- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Flamewarrior said:
If you try to use this right after the affect, you may already be unable to do so. If before, how'd you know if you'd be affected? So, I think you'd have to say "if you are affected, you can initiate this maneuver in spite of being under the effect", unless you really want this to be ineffective against some effects.

I think "would be affected" is clear enough. It means you can initiate this Immediate action ("interrupt") after you fail a save.

Flamewarrior said:
Technically, all those dispellings should read "intiator level check, opposed by the [whatever]".
Yep, just like dispel magic replacing your caster level with your initiator level.

Flamewarrior said:
Since this emulates a spell, some could take it as Sp, or as Ex, as most. Either way, it should be spelled out. Let Belkar know his own abilities, please!
Nope, it's clear. Maneuvers are always Ex unless they're spelled out otherwise. So it's (Ex). (This is spelled out in ToB.)

Flamewarrior said:
Why not detect alignment as Su?
Ah, because I want it to require an action to begin that bit, and I want it to cost you concentration. This stance is otherwise stronger than what a Paladin gets.

Flamewarrior said:
Making the maneuver be expended seems a bit much for me, since anyone with fast means of recovery would whomp martial adepts.
:) Anyone with a fast means of recovery is a martial adept! But seriously, the worst case

Flamewarrior said:
It should read "you make a melee touch attack".
I'll clean that up.

Flamewarrior said:
In most dispels, you say either "one" or "every" effect. What happens here if the target has more than one (hard to happen, I know, but it's so easy to choose either way that I point it anyway)?
Right, this one intends it to be one effect.

Flamewarrior said:
Same as lunar defiance.
Same.

Flamewarrior said:
You may want to include (i.e., screw) powers here as well.
Absolutely! I'll put a note at the top about psi/magic transparency, but I don't want to spell it out for every effect, unless the effect targets specific schools (in which case I need to also target specific disciplines).

Thanks, -- N

James Heard

Explorer
Maybe the Medical Ninja could be something like "Yellow Emperor Meditation Style" and maybe it would be neat to give them "shield" as a favored weapon.

Of course, if you did that eventually someone would point out that Wok Fu would a cool name too. :D

Remove ads