Level Up (A5E) Today I am working on Exploration Challenges

Faolyn

(she/her)
The "Region" size is a bit non-helpful. Maybe split it up into areas like County and Country.

The other area sizes are good, though.

I will say I have a fondness for how it's done in Planescape. Distances are given in die roll hours/days/weeks. Of course, with the variable terrain of Planescape, that makes sense. But perhaps something like that here? At a crawl, it takes 1d4+4 hours to go through a "local" size.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It might be that I just got home from work and I'm exhausted to the point of stupid, but I have no idea what this chart is talking about. Can you explain it briefly so I can say "Oh yeaaah. Duh. My bad."
How long it takes to get across a region that has an Exploration Challenge in it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
How long it takes to get across a region that has an Exploration Challenge in it.
There you go! Duh. So the first two columns describe the area, and the rest the time taken. Makes sense. I don't know why it looked unfathomable to me at first, but for some reason it did.

DataDwarf

Explorer
One thing I'm confused about here: is it the intention to award the players 18000 XP by passing a couple of skill check rolls?
It is a CR17. You need 40,000 XP to go from level 17 to 18. With a party of 5, this is 3,600 XP each. Less than a 10th of the level. That seems fine to me, but I guess it depends on how slowly you want to level.

Jmarso

Adventurer
It is a CR17. You need 40,000 XP to go from level 17 to 18. With a party of 5, this is 3,600 XP each. Less than a 10th of the level. That seems fine to me, but I guess it depends on how slowly you want to level.
Fair enough. DMs can always scale an XP award up or down as well as befits the resolution, I guess, so no biggie.

Stalker0

Legend
It also highlights that exploration is a "core" part of the game. If you only get XP for combats, then your effectively saying everything else is window dressing.

hehe of course this is coming from someone who has done milestone leveling for most of his DMing career, I can't remember the last time I gave out actual XP in a game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases