• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Today My Bookcase Collapsed Under the Weight of My RPGs

For real. I was just sitting there, and then suddenly, CRUNCHCRUMBLEBLAM!

It was one of those cheap Wal-Mart particleboard bookcases, but had held up for over six months, so I thought it was good. It was completely full – it held my entire RPG collection, and only my RPG collection. I had tried to put most of my big hardbacks on the bottom and the lighter boxed sets near the top (it was a 6' bookcase), but I guess that only postponed the inevitable. The little fasteners holding it together were just plain ripped out of the boards.

Most of my books seem to be in pretty good condition. My Planescape boxed sets were undamaged, but my Dark Sun 1st edition boxed set was torn, as was my Deluxe Traveller Boxed set (with all the little black books). *cry*

I'm trying to process this. I'm uncertain whether to take this as a Sign that the cheap cardboard construction that suffices for mainstream America simply collapses under the passion I have for RPGs, or whether my passion has become an obsession that my life is collapsing under.

Either way, let my life serve as a warning to you all!

Ragnar

[crossposted to RPG.net]

Reveille said:
This is why flipping your shelves is a good idea. I f you notice they are sagging, flip 'em asap! ;)

Yeah, I've had to do this twice now to the cheap, particle board bookcase I have that some of my RPG books sit on. It still bows out a bit but it looks a bit more secure. From now on I am only buying sturdy, solid wood bookcases. I also try and keep the heavy books on the bottom shelf.

Olaf the Stout

It sucks that some of your stuff got torn up... I hope the damage wasn't too bad.

If you've got the room (and the finances, I guess), I'd suggest that you replace the one tall bookshelf with a couple of lower ones. Also, like Festivus said, you may want to invest in some slightly more expensive book cases that you can be sure will hold up to the weight...

Later
silver

Tetsubo

First Post
I suggest IKEA. I picked up a discount shelf, fully assembled, for less than $50. Even the new ones are reasonably priced... Office supply stores can often have decent prices as well...

kamicosmos

First Post
Ironically, I got woken up last night by a big crash, and the dog going nuts. After I calmed down and realized no one was breaking into the house, I discovered that one of my cheap Wal-Mart book shelves (also a 6' model) had all the shelves fall loose. It was my shelf filled with mostly paperback novels, and it has been standing there full for over 4 years now. My RPG shelf appears to be stable....for now. But, when I get home tonite, I'll have to get out the nails and hammer, and flip those shelves, and reorganize all the books that are scattered all over the floor now. Might have to make a trip to the hardware store, get some reinforcing 2x2's or something to strengthen them up...

Tetsubo said:
I suggest IKEA. I picked up a discount shelf, fully assembled, for less than $50. Even the new ones are reasonably priced... Office supply stores can often have decent prices as well...

From my one experience in buying furniture from IKEA, I would advise against it. The laminate on it is paper thin and the wood feel so lightweight that I really wouldn't want anything with much weight on the shelves.

Olaf the Stout

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads