Today's simple questions

ShadowMaster

First Post
1) Can we put a bag of holding into an other bag of holding?

2) If I have a cloak of resistance +1 and a vest of resistance +1, do I have +2 on all my saves or only +1 since they are both "of resistance" ?

3) what appen if my cleric (good alignment) want to cast animate dead (Evil Spell)?

thanks all!

Crothian

First Post
1) I don't know if this is still official, but I hope it is. Bad THings Happen. Think tear in the fabric of the Universe and you've got a front row seat!!

2) Resistance Bonuses do not stack, sorry.

3) Good question. I'm not up on my cleric rules, so officially I'm not sure. You might not be able to cast it at all, or perhaps your god will stop letting you cast spells if you use it. By D&D rules, it's an evil action no matter the reason to cast any spell with an evil designaor. So, at the very least your alignment will start to slip that a way.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I could not find anything specific about what happens if you do this. I would suggest that the same thing happens in this case as when you put a portable hole into a bag of holding. This is described on page 210 of the DMG.

2) If I have a cloak of resistance +1 and a vest of resistance +1, do I have +2 on all my saves or only +1 since they are both "of resistance" ?
They both give you a resistance bonus of +1, so they do not stack. Your total bonus to your saves is +1.

3) what appen if my cleric (good alignment) want to cast animate dead (Evil Spell)?
He's SOL. He cannot cast this spell because he is a good cleric and animate dead is an [evil] spell. You will find this explicitly stated in the PH on page 32.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
1- "If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole, a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane: The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process."

No specific disclaimer is made about a bag of holding in a bag of holding, though I've house-ruled that the total weight in the exterior bag is equal to the actual mass of the items in both bags and can't exceed the limit of either. I use the same rule for all extradimensional spaces since the quoted rule is actually intended to stop characters from gaining too great a benefit from storage devices.

One way around this is to have a Heward's Handy Haversack filled with Gloves of Storing. Gloves of Storing aren't based on extradimensional space.

2- Cloak of Resistance is a resistance bonus; I don't know what a vest of resistance is by the books, since I couldn't locate it. Assuming it's also a resistance bonus, they don't stack. Thus, wearing a +1 Cloak of Resistance and a +1 Vest of Resistance yields a +1 bonus. If the Vest is not a resistance bonus, then they stack.

A ring of protection is a "deflection" bonus, so the name isn't necessarily the definition of what type of bonus it is. Like bonuses don't stack except in certain very limited cases*.

3- Good clerics can't cast spells with the Evil descriptors. Vice versa. Same for Druids. See the individual class descriptions.

Hope that helps,
Greg

* Dodge bonuses stack. The armor bonuses from a shield and from armor stack. Enhancement bonuses on projectiles and projectile weapons stack. Circumstance bonuses from different circumstance bonuses stack. I think that's all.

Voadam

Legend
more confirmation of answers

#2 resistance bonuses do not stack.

#3 Then your cleric is frustrated by his alignment limits, here is the quote from the SRD on the cleric class

"Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: A cleric can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or to his deity's. "

Animate dead has the evil descriptor.

gnfnrf

First Post
ShadowMaster said:

I wouldn't reccomend it. By the rules, the only danger occurs when you put a bag of holding in a portable hole, or vice versa, but previous editions of DnD have had restrictions on any nesting of extradimensional spaces (bag of holding, hewards handy haversack, portable hole, rope trick) and many DMs still use those rules.

(reference, DMG p 207, 210)

Only +1. The name of the item isn't critical, but both grant a "resistance bonus" and bonuses of the same name do not stack.

(reference, DMG p 177)

If your cleric is a cleric of a good diety, she just can't. If your cleric is a cleric of a neutral diety, she can, but will probably change alignment to neutral if she does it much at all.

Note that there is some controversy as to the justification for this rule, and your campaign may differ.

(reference, PHB p 32)

--
gnfnrf

KGradert

First Post
1) From the FAQ:

It's a general rule that you can't mix items containing
nondimensional or extradimensional spaces (things that
are bigger inside than out) with each other or with
portable holes. Such combinations tend to strain the fabric
of the cosmos. Putting one bag of holding within another is
just like putting the bag into a portable hole. Items that
function like bags of holding, such as Heward's handy
haversacks, cause the same mishaps when mishandled.
Note you can freely go plane hopping with portable
holes, bags of holding, and the like. Spells that produce
their own extradimensional spaces, such as rope trick,
pose no danger to occupants who may be using portable
holes, bags of holding, and the like.

2) As all the others posted, +1
3) Most Dm's would not allow a Good cleric to pray for and receive an evil descriptor spell. No they are not supposed to cast it, but it's up to the DM.

Remove ads