Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

Why? There are plenty of warnings. The camp itself is a warning. If they have an NPC guide, sure, have them give a warning as well. But otherwise, if they go in and die, then they should die. ToA is very much about putting the fear into players and having characters die, permanently.

I swear these days DM's are far too accommodating, generous and forgiving. Sometimes I wish I could just yell, "SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP!" Back in the day, if a character died, it wasn't a cause for grief-stricken mourning, it was a reason for quickly scratching together a new one at the table and introducing him as Bob 2.0.

Back in *whose* day? I’ve been playing this since back in the day, and the DMs were just as generous then as now. There’s no right or wrong way to play the game as long as you’re having fun, and in my experience no two groups ever really play it the same way anyway. :)

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Back in *whose* day? I’ve been playing this since back in the day, and the DMs were just as generous then as now. There’s no right or wrong way to play the game as long as you’re having fun, and in my experience no two groups ever really play it the same way anyway. :)

There's no right or wrong way to play D&D... just superior and inferior ways :devil:

ddaley

Explorer
I started playing circa 1980... and yeah, DMs were generous and we, as players... um... abused henchmen :D I will be taking some fairly inexperienced players through this. I will probably adjust things based on their level as we play... especially traps. Getting a TPK is one thing. But, getting a TPK because of a failed save against a trap is another.

Nebulous

Legend
So, how is everyone dealing with characters who want to wear heavy armor in the jungle? Per the book, it just says you need 2 gallons of water a day to avoid a DC 15 Con save, and if you were wearing medium or heavy armor, that save is at Disadvantage.

SO, as long as you have 2 gallons of water, tromping around in plate mail all day is ok?

I think I might try to discourage players from wearing heavy armor.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
So, how is everyone dealing with characters who want to wear heavy armor in the jungle? Per the book, it just says you need 2 gallons of water a day to avoid a DC 15 Con save, and if you were wearing medium or heavy armor, that save is at Disadvantage.

SO, as long as you have 2 gallons of water, tromping around in plate mail all day is ok?

I added the heat stroke rule from the 2e Chult book for those wearing heavy armor.

Mirtek

Hero

Are you at least also removing the AC bonus from monks and barbarians? And the Dex bonus to AC in general.

Why introduce a "realistic" disadvantages of heavy armor in a game where it has none of it's "realistic" advantages? People wore those armors because they were superior at keeping you alive and not having them meant a massive disadvantage. D&D just gives arbitrarily to certain classes having them perform as well as an armored fighter while wearing onyl a pyjamas or even less.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Actually working on a system for jungle rot ( the research alone is fascinating). And I also find myself looking at the 2e Chult supplement to make jungle appropriate clothing​/armor more attractive.

CapnZapp

Legend
Are you at least also removing the AC bonus from monks and barbarians? And the Dex bonus to AC in general.

Why introduce a "realistic" disadvantages of heavy armor in a game where it has none of it's "realistic" advantages? People wore those armors because they were superior at keeping you alive and not having them meant a massive disadvantage. D&D just gives arbitrarily to certain classes having them perform as well as an armored fighter while wearing onyl a pyjamas or even less.
Please let other people play the game their way.

Thank you.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Because lots of people D&D to simulate a world to some degree. While the mechanics do not completely hew to reality, real world logic is meant to still apply. Gravity works. People need to eat and sleep and use the outhouse.

And running around a sweltering jungle in a tin can breaks some people's immersion as much as someone stepping off a cliff and not falling because the rules don't explicitly say anything about gravity.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Because lots of people D&D to simulate a world to some degree. While the mechanics do not completely hew to reality, real world logic is meant to still apply. Gravity works. People need to eat and sleep and use the outhouse.

And running around a sweltering jungle in a tin can breaks some people's immersion as much as someone stepping off a cliff and not falling because the rules don't explicitly say anything about gravity.

Considering that some of the armors are listed light, medium, heavy fairly arbitrarily, and some "light" armors (padded, for instance) would be as worrisome in a jungle environment as plate armor. So, if you're looking for "realism", basing penalties on armor types is a rather poor way to go about it.

Remove ads

Remove ads