• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tome of Horrors getting a second print run...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The email announcing the deal said they expected it to sell out in record time. Apparently, they weren't just whistling Dixie on that one. Sold out in under 12 hours, I gather.

Treebore

First Post
Bill and Clark were expecting it to take 9+ months to sell through, or at least that is what Clark posted among those posts in that Paizo thread I linked above.

So selling out in under 12 hours has their minds collectively blown.

I've advised Bill to sit back, take some deep breathes, etc... before actually ordering a second print run. Let the smoke clear and make sure the demand for more is real, otherwise something great may turn into something that breaks their back.

Forgetting about this until Monday and then looking at everything again won't kill anyone. Doing a second print run when the demand for enough books to actually make the second print run pay for itself is not there, that would not be good.

They've apparently talked to Erik, and probably Lisa too, so I would think they have some pretty solid and reliable data they are deciding with, in terms of people saying they want a PRINT copy of this, rather than being happy to settle with a PDF, that is also much cheaper.

Then again, how many of those people are caught up in the "I MUST HAVE IT NOW!!" kind of impulse frenzy right now, but by Monday will remember they have real bills they have to pay with that money, not buying an RPG book with it.

Still, a under 12 hour sell out of what I believe was somewhere between one to 2 thousand copies is pretty awesome for Bill and Frog God Games and team. So I'm applauding them for that, I'm really happy for them. Just be carefully cautious before committing to the next step.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Then do it as a Kickstart to see if the interest is there for another printing- I know that I was miffed that it sold out before I could order, having a chance at ordering would go a long way to helping with that. 12 hours was seriously not enough time, heck, I am not sure that September 22 would have been enough time - the Tome of Horror books were great, I was certainly looking forward to getting one.

Please print more - some folks are going to be left with ill feelings otherwise.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

I got one! I got one!
... but by Monday will remember they have real bills they have to pay with that money, not buying an RPG book with it.
Dang it, I knew I forgot something!

Oh well, I let slip about the new case of minis I wanted and the wife put a hold on that... so I still saved $100 :) (until I can broker the money for the minis)

Treebore

First Post
Then do it as a Kickstart to see if the interest is there for another printing- I know that I was miffed that it sold out before I could order, having a chance at ordering would go a long way to helping with that. 12 hours was seriously not enough time, heck, I am not sure that September 22 would have been enough time - the Tome of Horror books were great, I was certainly looking forward to getting one.

Please print more - some folks are going to be left with ill feelings otherwise.

The Auld Grump

I sure hope they do, but like was posted by Clark in the Paizo thread I linked above, they fronted $45 THOUSAND for the first print run to get printed. These guys are not some big rich company who can afford to eat ANY of that money. Bill and company have real jobs to pay their bills with. So I just want them all to take the time to be SURE they aren't going to regret anything.

I'm not sure POD is an option. Bill was only hopeful that he would be able to get the book under $100 with a print run, with the added costs of POD, I'd bet POD would be $125 or more.

Plus plenty of gamers are now happy with a PDF, since apparently a lot of people like reading off of whatever readers they now own. So when you look at PDF for $30, or print and PDF for $90, you gotta wonder how many will go for just PDF and keep the $60 difference.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
As has been said (by either Clark or Erik Mona - don't recall which), the book really is the ultimate tribute to Open Gaming, so anyone who is a Pathfinder fan really owes it to themselves to get this book if they can swing it.

Crothian

First Post
As has been said (by either Clark or Erik Mona - don't recall which), the book really is the ultimate tribute to Open Gaming, so anyone who is a Pathfinder fan really owes it to themselves to get this book if they can swing it.

This is actually the first Necromancer book I've passed on. I have monsters plenty and in Pathfinder I tend to see myself wanting to run adventure paths and modules that use the bestiaries.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I sure hope they do, but like was posted by Clark in the Paizo thread I linked above, they fronted $45 THOUSAND for the first print run to get printed. These guys are not some big rich company who can afford to eat ANY of that money. Bill and company have real jobs to pay their bills with. So I just want them all to take the time to be SURE they aren't going to regret anything.

I'm not sure POD is an option. Bill was only hopeful that he would be able to get the book under $100 with a print run, with the added costs of POD, I'd bet POD would be $125 or more.

Plus plenty of gamers are now happy with a PDF, since apparently a lot of people like reading off of whatever readers they now own. So when you look at PDF for $30, or print and PDF for $90, you gotta wonder how many will go for just PDF and keep the $60 difference.
Umm, are you aware of what a Kickstarter is? - it does not refer to POD, but to having a fundraiser to 'Kickstart' a project - folks front money to an escrow account, if the project fails to garner the needed investment then the money is returned to those who pledged toward the project. If you need $45,000 then a Kickstarter for $20,000 - $30,000 will do a good job of answering the question, and provide the bulk of the needed funds.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads