Tomes of Stat Upping: Is there a max?

javcs

First Post
Only problem with that is that's an enhancement bonus, which, IIRC, doesn't add to skill points, and are the most common stat bonus TMK.

You'd have to use an ad hoc DC adjustment to switch bonus types . . .

And it still includes the +5 inherent bonus cap, which is the only permanent type.

Taloras

First Post
Yep. Not even epic can override the +5 inherent bonus max. You could give yourself a +200 enhancement to your stats, but it will only last 20 hours per casting. And that wouldnt increase skill points per level. There is no way, RAW, to get more than a +5 inherent bonus, or to make any other type of bonus permanent.

pawsplay

Hero
Where in the rules does it say you cannot have a higher than +5 inherent bonus? So far, I can find it only under wish, which would make it a special case.

EDIT: Further, if nothing else, you could always craft a stat boosting book, since epic crafting lets you exceed normal limits.

Taloras

First Post
Yes. The Fortify seed(which was posted here earlier), shows that even in epic, you cant get higher than a +5 inherent bonus. So you cant even craft an epic tome.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
House Rule follows...

[Not RAW. What follows is a House rule, but I thought I would throw it out there.]

One thing that we have done in our high powered and epic games, is to split the Inherent Bonuses into Arcane and Divine, to basically differentiate Wishes and Miracles and their ilk.

Books could be created that way as well. The Book of Divine Scriptures that gave a +8 Divine Inherent Bonus to Dexterity. The default was Arcane Inherent.

For those times when a +5 Inherent Bonus just isn't enough.

pawsplay said:
Where in the rules does it say you cannot have a higher than +5 inherent bonus? So far, I can find it only under wish, which would make it a special case.

EDIT: Further, if nothing else, you could always craft a stat boosting book, since epic crafting lets you exceed normal limits.
the question is: Is there are an actual table entry that determines the cost for inherent bonus? If not, you can only go by the book (hah) and conclude that the maximum per ability score is +5 - Either you read a tome or manual for it, or cast 5 successive wishes.

Reverse Engineering will certainly allow you to calculate the prices, but reverse engineering is not the same as following the rules. :)
If you did it, I would advise to remeber the typical cost multipliers for epic level items, but I am afraid even then, you will quickly "break" the system, as the reverse engineered prices for inherent bonuses increase linear, while enhancement bonus costs increase quadratic.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I find the very concept of a stat boosting manual to be extremely bizarre.

Think about it.

A +5 stat boost manual costs 137,000 GP to purchase, or 6,250 GP + 25,500 XP to craft.

Only the very wealthy could afford them, and only the most desperate for gold spell caster should even consider making one for someone else.

It's 25,500 XP!!!

That's enough to go from level 25 to level 26 (and almost 26 to 27).

What spell caster in his right mind would craft an item that lowers him 1+ levels in XP for anyone else? For himself, sure. But for someone else? He should have to be extremely desperate for the gold.

And once crafted, which person (purchaser or spell caster) wouldn't use it immediately? What good is crafting such an item and then not using it? Even if someone else stole the item, why wouldn't he use it immediately?

And, even if someone did commission such an item, it should take the spell caster a long time to acquire the XP (and at the same time, not use it for leveling up) with the core rules.

This type of item should NEVER be found in a treasure vault.

The XP and the item craft rules just do not mesh at all on these items.

Infiniti2000

First Post
KarinsDad said:

I agree, and that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as bad item creation rules AFAIC.

Dracomeander

First Post
KarinsDad said:

I agree that no mortal would ever create such an item. The books and tomes should be moved to minor artifacts. The only way they would ever be created is through the free crafting powers of deities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases